Help! February 2015 patch isn't helping!

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I recently learned that MS:C had been updated, because I tried to play a server today, and it wouldn't let me because of "Client out of date." However, when I installed the patch, it still says "Client out of date." What gives? :oldangry:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, I better stick it on the downloads page - thought I'd have a self installer sooner.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Regorty said:
http://www.msremake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9895&start=45

Theres a patchy thingy in there.
Gargh, it still won't work, even after I did both the regular patch AND the quick patch. Does this mean I'll have to uninstall and reinstall MS:C or what?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Might be file permission issues preventing existing files from being overwritten.

Dun like doing direct links, but just to be sure:
First fat installer: http://www.rkszone.com/downloads/msc/ms ... B2015a.exe
Then tiny wee manual patch: http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/FEB2015c_quickpatch.rar

Before ya install the tiny patch, check the date modified on the two files in msc/dlls

Then, after you install the tiny patch, make sure those have changed.

Should be good to go then.
Still won't work... :oldcry:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
And you're sure the sc.dll is updating? Hrmm...

BTW - you aren't trying to connect to the Anitalink.com server, are you?

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
And you're sure the sc.dll is updating? Hrmm...

BTW - you aren't trying to connect to the Anitalink.com server, are you?
Yes, but I think the dates for both dlls are the same for both the installer and the patch, and no, I prefer to play on [FN] servers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
SandvichBros said:
Yes, but I think the dates for both dlls are the same for both the installer and the patch
They should not be... Actually, depending on your time zone, the dates maybe the same, but the time definitely will not be.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
SandvichBros said:
Yes, but I think the dates for both dlls are the same for both the installer and the patch
They should not be... Actually, depending on your time zone, the dates maybe the same, but the time definitely will not be.
That actually sounds very possible. Got an idea on how to fix it?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Suspect ya've got a permissions problem.

If ya look in the rar, the time stamps should be different from those in your dll/cl_dlls folder... Confirm that first.

If this be the case, go to your start menu and run Winrar as an Administrator by right clicking on it. Then try dragging the files into the msc folder (individually, if you have to).

Alternatively, I suppose, you could extract them somewhere else, then copy them over the MSC files.

You can also delete the dlls and cl_dlls folders, then extract.

Dunno why some Windows installs rig themselves up this way. Microsoft is great at creating security measures that do nothing to protect you while stopping you from actually using their product legit.

Hopefully we'll have a new full installer to make this all easier soon.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Suspect ya've got a permissions problem.

If ya look in the rar, the time stamps should be different from those in your dll/cl_dlls folder... Confirm that first.

If this be the case, go to your start menu and run Winrar as an Administrator by right clicking on it. Then try dragging the files into the msc folder (individually, if you have to).

Alternatively, I suppose, you could extract them somewhere else, then copy them over the MSC files.

You can also delete the dlls and cl_dlls folders, then extract.

Dunno why some Windows installs rig themselves up this way. Microsoft is great at creating security measures that do nothing to protect you while stopping you from actually using their product legit.

Hopefully we'll have a new full installer to make this all easier soon.
Yeah, no, I did the installer, then the patch, and both the stuff in the dlls folder and the client.dll have the same date as the ones on the patch. But I definitely could try deleting the dlls and cl_dlls and then extracting. Also, I see 2 zip flies in the dll folder both named SSE1_ and SSE2_optimized, which both have the old dlls(2010 and 2008), I think. Should I delete them?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
SandvichBros said:
Also, I see 2 zip flies in the dll folder both named SSE1_ and SSE2_optimized, which both have the old dlls(2010 and 2008), I think. Should I delete them?
Those should not be there on a fresh install. >_> Sure you didn't use the December 2010 full installer?

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
SandvichBros said:
Also, I see 2 zip flies in the dll folder both named SSE1_ and SSE2_optimized, which both have the old dlls(2010 and 2008), I think. Should I delete them?
Those should not be there on a fresh install. >_> Sure you didn't use the December 2010 full installer?
Positive. Otherwise, I'd be saying "December patch isn't helping," because the patch I got said FEB2015a. I think they are from past incantations, maybe? Of course, I've been playing since 2012 however, so I doubt that they are from something I downloaded.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh, they are from SEP2013 or earlier then... Was under the impression you were under a fresh install.

...But yeah, you can delete them...

I guess you've been putting the full FEB2015a installer over whatever you played last, instead of using the FEB2015a update package? If that's the case, ya midas well start with deleting everything inside the msc folder. Yer gonna lose your configs either way.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Oh, they are from SEP2013 or earlier then...

...But yeah, you can delete them...

I guess you've been putting the full installer over SEP2013, instead of using the FEB2015a update package?
Yeah, I think so, because isn't that what you recommended to me because I couldn't do multiplayer?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You'd be better off installing from scratch - didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

After scrapping MSC, and putting in the full installer, just to be safe, I'd delete the dlls and cl_dlls folder before sticking in the C rar patch.

SandvichBros

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
You'd be better off installing from scratch - didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

After scrapping MSC, and putting in the full installer, just to be safe, I'd delete the dlls and cl_dlls folder before sticking in the C rar patch.
Wait, do I take the stuff inside the patch's msc folder and extract them out into the half-life/msc folder, because I think I just moved the dlls and cl_dlls to the msc/msc folder all this time. :oops:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yes, you extract/install everything to the msc folder which is found inside common/halflife if i'm not mistaking.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeeeah, there should be no half-life\msc\msc\ folder. ><

The installer should say <wherever_your_steam_is>\steam\steamapps\common\half-life\msc\

The rar goes in half-life\, overwriting msc folder.

This is why we need self-installers. :(

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Has been like that for months now. Valve randomly thought it was a good idea to get rid of
Code:
...\Steam\SteamApps\[Steam username]\half-life\
and instead use
Code:
...\Steam\SteamApps\common\half-life\

Reason: ????

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yet for some reason that folder still exists and apparently i have msc folders in both places.

Anyway, now i pasted the quickpatch on the new path now and the game works.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Reason was most likely that they wanted gold source games to work like source games, where if a different Steam user gets on your machine they don't have to reinstall games you've already installed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you have that issue, make sure you re-install Half-Life!
(Also delete the old folder loc.)

Yeah, they did that massive change during FEB2013, among others, along with a bunch of other stuff that wrecked all sorts of mods and installers.

Part of the reason was the acquisition of a new (and thus cheaper) Goldsrc team, and when they sacked the older experienced veteran Goldsrc team, suffice to say, the higher paid vets didn't stick around to explain to their replacements the logic behind what they did.

You'll notice it doesn't actually use GCF's anymore either. I kinda found them annoying, but I have to admit they were quite a bit more optimal, and their sudden removal after more than half a decade, killed a lot of mods.

The new msc_downloads caused some problems too (downloads from servers no longer go to the mod folder), nevermind the needless mouse input changes that wrecked so many games - somehow in the name of a Linux port.

The new team leader is from AMXAlliedModders, and he decided to prioritize preventing malicious AMX mods from screwing with clients - these "security" efforts, broke all kinds of server<->client interaction in the process, so that don't help either.

...all of this and yet no efforts to fix ancient limitations of the engine... I understand not adding visual enhancements, as it'd step on Source's toes eventually, but they don't even fix the edicts or precache limits - nuttin.

Anyways... It'd take me days to list everything the new team has broke and we've had to work around. [/rant]