Dwarves still not patched out?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What do you mean? We already have sandstorm weather that's never been used.

scripts/weather:
Code:
always_day.script
always_dusk.script
always_night.script
always_rain.script
always_snow.script
always_storm.script
clear.script
controller.script
effect_lightning.script
make_clear.script
make_fog.script
make_fog_black.script
make_fog_brown.script
make_fog_green.script
make_fog_red.script
make_rain.script
make_snow.script
make_storm.script
no_rain.script
no_snow.script
no_weather.script
precacheall.script
settime_day.script
settime_dusk.script
settime_night.script
sfx_weather_base.script
sfx_weather_fog_black.script
sfx_weather_fog_blue.script
sfx_weather_fog_brown.script
sfx_weather_fog_green.script
sfx_weather_fog_red.script
sfx_weather_fog_thick.script
sfx_weather_fog_white.script
sfx_weather_rain.script
sfx_weather_rain_storm.script
sfx_weather_snow.script
sv_weather_control.script
timer.script
vapors.script
vapors_cl.script
You mean brown fog? I mean that'd be easy enough, but not gonna look very sandy. I suppose I could add wind ambients that might give a clue. I was thinking I was gonna have to swarm sprites around targets, after doing trial and error finding one that fit the job and had the right properties, and/or edit it until it does, then edit the scorp to realize when the storm was on, and only add the item if it died during it - then we need an NPC to explain this - though dropping a book/scroll/riddle thing might be simpler.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I might be talking about brown fog, i'd have to go in game and check. But one of the fogs looks like you're in a thick sandstorm.

Also while we are on this concept of having a special monster spawn during a weather event, and if we are considering EdanaSewers as a potential map for some forge items, I propose that we do the same thing with the green fog there. Green fog shouldn't be on all the time (it didn't used to be) but when it is on, a slime miniboss should spawn somewhere and he can drop a unique forge item. All of that can be done mapside, minus the forge item script.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I didn't think that was ready yet?
Pretty much ready, just requires a lotta scripts that he suggested I backburner until after the patch - but I don't think he realized how long that was gonna be. (I sure didn't.)

This is all stuff that (correct me if I am wrong) can be done map side, no?
Yes, but it'd be almost as complicated (lest you have something in mind) and could affect the map's near perfect stability. Seems self defeating to edit the aesthetics and stability of a map that's so good that we want to bait it, when the original mapper isn't around.

Also while we are on this concept of having a special monster spawn during a weather event, and if we are considering EdanaSewers as a potential map for some forge items, I propose that we do the same thing with the green fog there. Green fog shouldn't be on all the time (it didn't used to be) but when it is on, a slime miniboss should spawn somewhere and he can drop a unique forge item. All of that can be done mapside, minus the forge item script.
Again, that means adding a global visual change to this map that's so perfect we wanna bait it. (Also not sure what sorta artifacts we can expect from fog on that map - some maps do not play nice with fog.) [edit: Might also be worth mentioning fog_brown has been used - for swamp fog. fog_green is kinda neon green.]

But, anything like that might be a great idea for idemarks_tower, since Lockdown's here to decide what sorta impact he wants it to have on his map, and is considering redesigning his map, and thus could accommodate it as he wished.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Heh, was just saying it's easy to get carried away and found myself doing it...

Actually found myself thinking, "Is there a sun on the Smugglers_Cove skymap?" cuz then I could put down a book that said, "Ten paces south, face east, six paces, turn north, two paces [etc] dig." treasure map sorta puzzle to find the thing. Wouldn't have to edit the map to do it, could let the GM handle it, and measure the distance by footstep sounds, and - no, BAD THOTHIE! Time! :mad:

@MS:C community - might be in similar vein to the above "getting carried away", but I had the the pregnant thought of making the Aluhandra requisite six five, and give every player who did more than 10%MaxHP damage to the boss a gem. So it'd be two full runs of Alahundra, but if you had a party, they could all do it at once (and no lewt ninjas get hanged). Can't split stacks, so it shouldn't turn into too much of a twink fest.

That'd mean setting up a system to track damage (game has it internally, but the script system can't access it). That wouldn't be too hard to do with the scriptflags system, however, and it'd likely be useful elsewhere. So might be worth a small amount of added effort.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Yes, but it'd be almost as complicated (lest you have something in mind) and could affect the map's near perfect stability.
Oh not at all. As far as I can tell this can be accomplished with less than 5-10 trigger entities + the ms_weather entity and that includes the entities necessary to spawn the event-based monster.

Again, that means adding a global visual change to this map that's so perfect we wanna bait it.
uh, what? whats the visual change? the green fog? or making it so the green fog isn't always there? I don't follow you here.

Actually found myself thinking, "Is there a sun on the Smugglers_Cove skymap?" cuz then I could put down a book that said, "Ten paces south, face east, six paces, turn north, two paces [etc] dig." treasure map sorta puzzle to find the thing. Wouldn't have to edit the map to do it, could let the GM handle it, and measure the distance by footstep sounds, and - no, BAD THOTHIE! Time!
oh boy that's a freakin' cool idea...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh not at all. As far as I can tell this can be accomplished with less than 5-10 trigger entities + the ms_weather entity and that includes the entities necessary to spawn the event-based monster.
Considerably more overhead than doing it scriptside, and again, don't want to add more monsters to the bait maps, lest it's what the mapper wants to do.

If you're desperate for a weather driven encounter, and are just tired of being stuck in those caves where you can't really do it - you might wanna work with Lockdown and see if he he wants to implement some of your ideas on his map. ;)

oh boy that's a freakin' cool idea...
And I might do it, some day in the distant future, when the patch isn't coming up on five years overdue and a nearly completed lore map by the old crew isn't sitting on the backburner (nevermind your own maps). ;) Though, if you wanted to do something similar in caves, provided you could add some monoliths or other markers to provide directions (walk 10 paces towards the green statue), the nearly completed lore system will allow you to write your own texts and put them in your map, so you could create some similar puzzle, entirely map side. (Actually is completed enough to pull that off, and you can place it as a book or as a button, or area of effect text, or whatnot.)

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Lots of interesting and promising ideas in the 2 pages that popped up since I went to sleep. I really like the idea of making phoenix armor obtainable from other places than just wicard..

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Considerably more overhead than doing it scriptside
5ish entities can never be considered "considerable"

don't want to add more monsters to the bait maps, lest it's what the mapper wants to do.
since it wouldn't be there all of the time the experience in the map wouldn't really change much at all.

a nearly completed lore map by the old crew isn't sitting on the backburner
Somewhat off topic but I think you are mistaken about that map being ready. I am certain father brandon did not leave that map in your possession for you to populate. He sent it to you for safe keeping, but he certainly isn't asking you to populate the thing. He is still waiting for you to complete his turtle script, however, so he can populate it himself.

We sure as hell can't have Eswen turned into another orc_for.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Please dont make Pheonix Armor a forge item. Just put it on another sexy map like Aluhandra.

That is all.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
OH hey! Can we get the level cap increase to 50 early in nov2015b? :)

Uberzolik

Active Adventurer
Sons of Babel
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
1580611359630.png
seems like you accidentally tagged it as mss, hah

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
seems like you accidentally tagged it as mss, hah
Not even sure how that happened - lest anyone can edit tags or it just inherited one from the text or some such. :\

OH hey! Can we get the level cap increase to 50 early in nov2015b?
Depends on how these archives come together, still kicking them in the teeth - if it ends up being an sc.dll only update, 'fraid not. :/

Please dont make Pheonix Armor a forge item. Just put it on another sexy map like Aluhandra.
It's true, DQ was to be the bait method, but apparently folks aren't willing to wait for it, without holding up development, and people will accuse it of ruining maps when it's in, no doubt, while this is at least is non-intrusive. Better to bait multiple maps in one go and not end the primary loot motive for a lore map. Plus it's gotta be more interesting than running the same map dozens of times with a playmate to get it (or the rage that ensues when I roll back someone for exploiting to avoid that). Lest you have a compelling reason for the objection, or an objection to the suggested requirements...

If it's adding time to development you're worried about, it shouldn't be too bad, smaller than some tasks on the list... Do promise not to do anything like adding treasure map guides, puzzles, or whatnot, this time around. Just, stackable item, pick a boss or chest, gibs to players. If Lockdown wants to do something fancy with his before then, I'm sure he'll do it primarily map side and show me what to stick the item in.

Also wasn't planning to do this for NOV2015b, mind. Stacking system and such aren't as malleable there, and ya can't bank such items.

5ish entities can never be considered "considerable"
And that line of thought is why this map is so much more stable. If they are self targeting multi_manager timers, for instance, that over 250 edicts, and five thinkers, recreating themselves every tick, and a reference copy of every entity they target in memory. Do it script side, and you add none of that. But either way, yeah, no - again, something for Lockdown's map. Get enough complaints about the fog I added to the core maps. Unless you're just screwing with me at this point... :p

I had considered rigging up a client side fog that intensified as you got closer to a mob, practically blinding you when close, but doesn't activate at all until within a minimum distance, thus it wouldn't periodically wipe the whole map, and only affect those in combat with it - but while it's an idea for the future, complicated enough to not be worth the time it'd eat up for the next real patch.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
And that line of thought is why this map is so much more stable.
which map is more stable than what?

If they are self targeting multi_manager timers, for instance, that over 250 edicts, and five thinkers, recreating themselves every tick, and a reference copy of every entity they target in memory.
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Get enough complaints about the fog I added to the core maps. Unless you're just screwing with me at this point...
So why not take my suggestion for Edana Sewers and have the green fog turned OFF the majority of the time, and put a special monster there whenever the fog randomly turns on? You've already messed around with that map by putting the fog there in the first place.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So why not take my suggestion for Edana Sewers and have the green fog turned OFF the majority of the time, and put a special monster there whenever the fog randomly turns on?
How many more years would you like to wait for the patch as we focus on adding more and more trivial things like that?

Maybe after the next patch - Svencoop.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
How many more years would you like to wait for the patch as we focus on adding more and more trivial things like that?
Well, like I just said, this can be easily accomplished with only a handful of entities. That won't be a problem in a map like edana sewers. This won't take any extra time, and since code isn't required, somebody else can even do it for you if the effort required is a big deal.

Very curious where your numbers are coming from, though.

people will accuse it of ruining maps when it's in, no doubt
you are acting like peoples accusations are illogical or something. don't put something dumb in the map and you won't get any complaints.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, like I just said, this can be easily accomplished with only a handful of entities. That won't be a problem in a map like edana sewers. This won't take any extra time, and since code isn't required, somebody else can even do it for you if the effort required is a big deal.

Very curious where your numbers are coming from, though.
I've decided we are not adding fog to Rickler's map. I gave you the reasons why. We are done.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
You are such a stupid person. We aren't even talking about Ricklers map right now. For christ sakes, what's wrong with you?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Whose map are you talking about?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Maybe after the next patch - Svencoop.

you are acting like peoples accusations are illogical or something. don't put something dumb in the map and you won't get any complaints.
....and right back at ya. But alas, I've been through it more than near any other map online in ramp tests, was constantly using the green fog to light my way, thought "ya know what, this looks neat, and it helps nubs", and it didn't go over with bang with everyone.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well feel free, but I'd rather you spent the time on your own maps, and just let me delete the weather entry from the script, if you want it gone.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Well feel free, but I'd rather you spent the time on your own maps, and just let me delete the weather entry from the script, if you want it gone.
There's nothing wrong with the green fog showing up from time to time, but having it there at all times is pretty annoying. I was suggesting this because you could fix that annoyance without getting rid of the fog 100% of the time, so those who like it won't have anything to complain about. Best of both worlds from my perspective. It also makes the map more interesting to have weather events, even if the event is not tied to a special monster spawn somewhere.

Is it correct to assume the reason the fog won't ever go away even if you type clearsky in console is because it's using a script instead of the ms_weather entity?

Also I am legitimately curious where you are getting your numbers from in your earlier post, because if you can actually calculate the amount of overhead a particular entity will be responsible for that would be insanely useful to all mappers.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
"day" in console to fix all obnoxious weather ever. :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Is it correct to assume the reason the fog won't ever go away even if you type clearsky in console is because it's using a script instead of the ms_weather entity?
Same system. Works for me under this NOV2015, though I gotta scrap it and start over now, as I lost track of which set this is from when I came to answer this... Dunno if that has anything to do with my not playing in full screen. NOV2015 did have an issue where weather would sometimes try to inherit between maps and corrupt the weather string, if you used a legitimate transition. That tends to break clearsky. Think the clearsky lock wouldn't always stick either, and as there's no "clear" entries (as having it turning off would have defeated the experimental purpose of letting nubs see), thus it could come back in short order.