Cant play on any servers...?

SuperNova

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have played this game before a while back and have decided to check it out again, but when ever i try to go into any servers after i pick my char i spawn in the air and with none of my items just my fists and i cant move. Also i get the "retry character data error" thing in the console and top left of the screen. This i know is usally from the server not having their ports open but i was talking to other people in the game which were playing fine and were not local. So anyone have any clue as to what the problem is?
Thanks for the help!

SuperNova

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Your first problem i think can be solved by setting up all your controls in the control panel, but i don't remember, it might be something more involved.

You second problem probably is caused by some security thing you have on your computer, like a firewall perhaps.
Or it could be all the servers that were on at the time dont know how to set it up right :?

SuperNova

New Adventurer
Reaction score
All my controls are set up and it works fine in my own server so thats not the problem. I shouldnt have to open the ports on my router in order to connect to other servers.... so mabey they were all messed up i dont know :? Also is my character supposed to save into the SAVE folder? because after i play there are no files in there.

Badgi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have been mucking about solo, so my server was not setup properly.. am going to set it up right now.

SuperNova

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ok yeah it seems to be nobody knows how to make the servers work i finally got into one but going into thornlands with 5hp isnt a good thing. =P

Badgi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I've tried a few other things, dunno if it will work. Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to configure a router for MS Servers?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeigh: viewtopic.php?t=622&start=0
(See also the last page of that thread for a list of things that may prevent you from running a server.)

You'll have to visit your router's manufacture's website for information specific to your hardware though.

Saved characters are under save1.char save2.char and save3.char in your route MS folder. (not the 'save' subfolder, which is a holdover from valve for saved games) Back them up regularly, they have a habit of deleting.