Winter Break == Coding?

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Last exam is next week, then I'll have some time to work on my mod [and maybe future MS:S code?] a bit more. Not sure how dRkill is coming along with MS:S and I haven't heard much about using my code recently, but here is a sample of my little bit of progress I got done recently before my exams.
[The icons are borrowed from pictures of WoW ones, until I get around to making my own unique ones]

Demoing the 'dropitem [pos]' command, until i finish getting the interface done
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yzWyqsGoK-w

Showing NPC's [Zombies] Droping Items [the helms] and Gold [the potions, because I haven't made any new models yet].
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DG0EbXfPhB4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jpMhqdJSlM4

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
That looks pretty awesome. But wouldn't that make ninja looting way easier?

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, it is awesome, but Red Cell is right. I think the items are falling a bit too far away from the zombies.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This is just a WIP definitely not finished, but I'm aware of some issues. They 'fall' that far because of two things, the first being that the items spawn in the same spot, causing them to fly apart. This can be solved by adding more randomness and pseudo-randomness to where they spawn. The second is the terrain, as seen in the clips, if the ground is sloppy then they will slide down. Theres not much I can do about that in particular, other then make them not move at all, but I was going to implement a 'rights' system, so the person who did the most dmg/etc has the sole right to pickup the item(s) for 1-2mins(or something).

But as I said, I just haven't had the time to work on these things. But hopefully I'll have some time to work on them after my exams.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Looks really good. Hope to see more.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Drigien said:
This is just a WIP definitely not finished, but I'm aware of some issues. They 'fall' that far because of two things, the first being that the items spawn in the same spot, causing them to fly apart. This can be solved by adding more randomness and pseudo-randomness to where they spawn. The second is the terrain, as seen in the clips, if the ground is sloppy then they will slide down. Theres not much I can do about that in particular, other then make them not move at all, but I was going to implement a 'rights' system, so the person who did the most dmg/etc has the sole right to pickup the item(s) for 1-2mins(or something).

But as I said, I just haven't had the time to work on these things. But hopefully I'll have some time to work on them after my exams.

I thought that would look realistic because, i thought the headcrab smashed into pieces and the parts flew apart. Anyway, i hope you help MS:S your skills would amke it awsome :eek: :D

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
That's pretty sweet. I haven't seen DrKill around, but he still might be; the tehrilez incident made him wary about showing progress (because tehrilez made none and thought that constantly asking for models == progress), so he either disappeared or just hasn't shown us anything he's done in a long time.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
A coder like you for MS:S would get the train moving :) Your help would be more than welcome!

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
That's pretty sweet. I haven't seen DrKill around, but he still might be; the tehrilez incident made him wary about showing progress (because tehrilez made none and thought that constantly asking for models == progress), so he either disappeared or just hasn't shown us anything he's done in a long time.

I'm always around. You just don't look hard enough.

And yes, things are slow for me at the moment. Coding for 8 to 9 hours a day at work and then coding more for MS:S when I get home is hard to do. I try to put in at least an hour a day.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
dRkILL said:
CrazyMonkeyDude said:

And yes, things are slow for me at the moment. Coding for 8 to 9 hours a day at work and then coding more for MS:S when I get home is hard to do. I try to put in at least an hour a day.
Let's put it THIS way. I haven't seen you posting around.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
dRkILL said:
CrazyMonkeyDude said:

Let's put it THIS way. I haven't seen you posting around.

Indeed. I can agree with that. I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I can confirm this.

He is one.

lurker.jpg

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
dRkILL said:

I have offered my help in the past, and I will again. If you want me to work on something I will be glad to work on when I can.

And on another note, that was kinda poor planning using the same equipment in the video. Oh well, everyone understood it was swapping the equipment around... right?

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I got it... Ithink it looks very good. Keep it up. :D

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Drigien said:
dRkILL said:

I have offered my help in the past, and I will again. If you want me to work on something I will be glad to work on when I can.

And on another note, that was kinda poor planning using the same equipment in the video. Oh well, everyone understood it was swapping the equipment around... right?

I didn't know by help you actually meant develope for us; I thought you meant just give me some help if I'm stuck with something. >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Still think ye two should merge your projects.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I don't think a direct merge is needed, but it's definately possible to take large pieces of his code and hook them in.

Drigien, email me and we can discuss having you directly contribute. My email is [email protected]

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: More Coding!?!

In anticipation's of my class being finished (write my exam Fri), I was doing some 'lite' coding to find where I left off. Anyway nothing to fancy yet, just a scripting system for npc interaction/dialog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQ2WFoyLcc

It only handles the message and the options, with support for playing a 'scene' and/or SFX either on dialog and/or when selecting a choice. Still need to add support for playing voice-overs, setting/connecting to the npc buy/sell panels, some stuff dealing with quests, and fixing up those jerky animations. Stupid npc's being broken in MP, sheesh.

Sidenote: Why does a programmer need to take Calculus 3/4, I don't see myself using that stuff in 95%+ of the jobs I would be doing. Oh well, what is a couple thousand dollars for useless classes.