Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Wow, good point... lets all play legitimately

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tradion

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
so you like having small Family jewels? Have to say that that is the weirdest thing i've ever heard.. The bigger the jewels the more fun! And you just have to go slower on the smaller girls.. yeah.. Or something like htat..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well he does hack. :p And the jewels themselves just get in the way, really, and zipperectamy dude, zipperectamy. :oldshock:

Both these branches of topic are so interesting I'm not sure which I want to respond to at length. :roll:

Cyax

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Well, I always run around in cheat maps to super uber a character of mine, so I can keep up with the hackers... But I always play a ligit.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
*sigh*
i still dont see how hacking can help noobies. I mean you can give them 999999999999 gold, and u can give them the best items in the game... but is that really helping them?
I think it brings the already current short MS experience to a grinding halt.
Of course having good equips and stats feels good, but it feels better having worked for those stats, or needing to work alongside others to accomplish defeating calrian, helena, or that stupid spider in the thornlands!

It would make more sense helping newbies by teaching them how actually play the game, how you got as strong as u are "legitimately", giving tips on the edana quests, or just starting a new character to fight alongside the newbies. Plus its fun to not tell them whats going to happen next in some scripted event watch them freak out when an assload of orcs tear up the thornlands, or when the warcart rolls in at the climax of helena.

Of course after they/you have conquered Daragoth1.3 you can then explore some custom maps and probably get freaked out by some monsters jumping out at you from Crows map packs or something...

"I cheat bc im boooored"/"ive beaten the game"
Then play a different game, or make a *gimpy* character in MS...
Be a pure swordsman, pure archer....
DON'T use a hugger of fck, I dunno you can be creative :p

I don't see why people want to justify cheating, its a simple as its the wrong thing to do. People agree to play a game by the rules it would be unfair to someone not following the rules to just join in the game. Heres an example: Soccer/Futbol- You can't touch the ball with your hands unless you are the goalie. Someone who is cheating would pick up the ball with their hands and run to the goal posts an throws it in... One team would be mad because now they are losing and because the other person is cheating. The other team probably wouldn't mind so much because now they are what they would think of as "winners"
Hmmmm....
almost sounds like the people that are hackers/cheatersthe people who (think) benefit from them think that its ok, while the people who are not cheating or (understand) do not benefit from cheaters believe that its wrong.

I'm not asking you to stop cheating/hacking and I'm not asking you to play legitimately. I've presented my points and I'm asking you to decide for yourself. :wink:

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I got a question for the devs, would you guys care if you got your hands on the cheaters/hackers? Or would you ignore the cheater reports?

EDIT: I'm currently in a server with a big 2 hacker vs. legit fight. Cheaters think he can take over the world, legit likes dissing him. I'd like to settle this by having the two cheater's Steam IDs reported to you.

EDIT 2: Appearantly he claims to be a 'pro theif'. He just threatened someone for their gold, the innocent refused, and was immediately slain by the cheater/pro thief. Sigh, prick.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
RavenVonthora said:
EDIT: I'm currently in a server with a big 2 hacker vs. legit fight. Cheaters think he can take over the world, legit likes dissing him. I'd like to settle this by having the two cheater's Steam IDs reported to you.
How about names first?

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Riku and Darkhunter, Riku being the bored player that felt like hacking, and Darkhunter being the little fuck threatening people. Basically an all-round asshole.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It used to be that many hackers, or even people just seen playing on cheat maps, had their WonID's hard coded into the Master Sword's banned.cfg and ported with the new distros. This is not something I would not encourage.

You can biatch about the h4x0rz and cheaters and all, but I warn you, that it may very well be that you will not at all like the solutions the developers may instill. Too much of the wrong kind of anti-cheat preventive measures can ruin the game for everyone, and prevent it from ever expanding into more than it is.

In otherwords, be careful what you wish for. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That wouldn't be so bad if we could have professional level hosted (rentable) servers, but if they remove metamod support, there wont be any.

i dont understand, i thought anti-cheat measure are good
how can they ruin the game?
Anti-cheat measures that:
- Makes it so that it's impossible to expand the game, because in order to avoid chat maps, no new maps are allowed, and no new easy system for checking them is implemented.
- Makes it difficult to play
- Makes it difficult for players to join together on the same server/area.
- Makes the game incompatible with certain software configurations
- Makes the game fail to function with some hardware configurations
- Makes it difficult to host
- Makes it impossible to add other sorts of custom content
- Makes it difficult for the developers themselves to expand upon.
- Prevents hosts from being able to fully manage their servers.
- Prevents hosts from having secure servers.
- Prevents hosts from administrating or managing their servers.
- Prevents key developer information from being released for the game, thus hampering expansion and/or custom content.
- Has network issues.
- Causes innocent people to be banned regularly.
- Otherwise causes people to be unable to play.

Some of the above items have already happened. And many of the above items have killed other games and mods. ...and there are many other possible complications that I've not addressed that often result from over-zealous cheat protection.

Or, as Benji put it:

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
- Makes the game incompatible with certain software configurations
- Makes the game fail to function with some hardware configurations
- Makes it difficult to host
- Prevents hosts from being able to fully manage their servers.
- Prevents hosts from having secure servers.
- Prevents hosts from administrating or managing their servers.
- Has network issues.
- Causes innocent people to be banned regularly.
- Otherwise causes people to be unable to play.

Explain those points

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Er, I certainly didn't use any terminology that would be outside of your lexicon. Which part do you not understand?

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My take on Makes it difficult to host .

If the character save files were to be saved on the server themselves, then the person who's hosting the server would be pretty fucked. Say there are 10 players in the server, and they're playing normally. The save files in the server would have to alter and change every single millisecond the server is running, to keep the characters updated. If so, what if you have 18 players in a server? Wouldn't the server go nuts? Not everyone's computer is a dual 3.2ghz, heh.
That's how I see it.

Although some games already do that such as Freelancer multiplayer, and it does it with 64 players all at once! But you have to keep in mind this is a modified Quake 1 engine. No matter how much you tweak its netcode, it still can't match up to today's technologies.

I mean, in the current state of MS, the pings are OFF THE CHARTS, I can hardly play it comfortably. The netcode needs to be optimized, and the data being sent through need to be toned down a little. For example, I think the developer mode floods a bit too much. Even though I love your mod, and the concepts and ideas kick alot of ass, the way you pulled things off and executed them are pretty bad, sorry. Just clean up the code and the structure a bit, you know, "optimized".

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
RavenVonthora said:
The save files in the server would have to alter and change every single millisecond the server is running, to keep the characters updated.

It's not saved every sinlge millisecond...

I mean, in the current state of MS, the pings are OFF THE CHARTS, I can hardly play it comfortably. The netcode needs to be optimized, and the data being sent through need to be toned down a little. For example, I think the developer mode floods a bit too much.

I've played comfortably on servers with sub 100ms pings. Heck, I've hosted an 8player server off my cable connection with sub 100ms pings to everyone.

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
We'll then I think it's not the mod's fault I guess. However all the servers being hosted right now as we speak, spike up to 800ms with the servers full. Argh. Maybe you can handle it, but I still think it should have a bit of tweaking done.

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My connection? Not at all, I can download at a decent rate of 370kb/s, I can also seed a torrent up to 30kb/s and play an online game as well. Believe me it's not bad at all. On decent Steam-based games, I always get around 40-50ms. But in MS, I start out with a 80ms (good enough), but when people start coming in, everybody spikes 800ms.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I still don't understand what you want... If an anti-theft devices causes you to be unable to start your car, or makes it impossible to work on, there's no 'reason' behind it, other than the anti-theft measures were overzealous and/or poorly designed. I can list the complaints and the results there of (car with bad ratings ceases to sell), but I can't tell you the specific mechanical reasons involved.

Similarly the flaws seen in many anti-cheat measures vary wildly from game to game and from situation to situation, and I don't know the exact coding or hardware issues involved, I've only observed the results and read the complaints, and occasionally dealt with both myself, so beyond pointing out the possibilities, you'd be in a better position to do such a thing than I, in regards to MS, and in just as good a position as I for any other game. So the best I could do is provide examples. But unless you are simply feigning ignorance, I do not think that is what you want from me. ;)

Suffice to say it is an easy thing to do indeed, to kill a game in an effort to make it cheat proof. One must be very careful to take player, host, and community into account when implementing such measures.
"If it cannot break its egg's shell, a chick will die without being born. e are the chick, the world is our egg. If we don't crack the world's shell, we will die without being born. Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!" - Utena
Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't see the server side characters, in and of themselves, being a major issue. Even if the host can cheat, any host who treats his clients badly won't have them for long, and I don't see it generating a lot of lag (Brain Bread seems to do it just fine, and it saves your character with every hit). However, without dependable 24/7 servers, hosted at a professional level, it isn't viable. Without metamod, you don't get those kind of servers, as professional servers require metamod with Steam for security and managerial reasons. That is, unless you intend to take the Quest route, and host the game yourselves. I don't see that lasting though, so it would limit the future of the game (which is why I show so little interest in Quest - simply the fact that it won't last once released).

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
RavenVonthora said:
If the character save files were to be saved on the server themselves, then the person who's hosting the server would be pretty ****. Say there are 10 players in the server, and they're playing normally. The save files in the server would have to alter and change every single millisecond the server is running, to keep the characters updated. If so, what if you have 18 players in a server? Wouldn't the server go nuts? Not everyone's computer is a dual 3.2ghz, heh.
That's how I see it.
I had two French players at my server yesterday and my server is hosted in Holland. They had a ping of about 70ms the whole time but one of them actually said the "ping est très bon" (I think you know what that means). So don't worry too much about char-save lag.
And as Thothie said, BrainBread.

RavenVonthora said:
Although some games already do that such as Freelancer multiplayer, and it does it with 64 players all at once! But you have to keep in mind this is a modified Quake 1 engine. No matter how much you tweak its netcode, it still can't match up to today's technologies.
1) 65.
2) Do you play Freelancer online?
3) If so, where? At Jolt 1?
4) If at Jolt 1, what's your in-game name?

Edit: Guy with ping of 50ms in my server right now. I don't know where he lives though.

Edit 2: I said "Hello, may I ask you a small question?" (wanted to know his location) and he immediately left :|

RavenVonthora

New Adventurer
Reaction score
1) 65.
2) Do you play Freelancer online?
3) If so, where? At Jolt 1?
4) If at Jolt 1, what's your in-game name?

I do play Freelancer online
I do play at Jolt's about the exact name but I remember it's a reall generic and basic name 'Jolt' something I guess
My ingame name Is RavenVonthora

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well... for the record i probably shouldn't have added the "Yes, but i lie about cheating" because the liers lie about their cheating and i guess they dont wanna admit even privately?

blarg!
im just waiting for 2 games to come out...
MS:C and The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess