What'bout doing a stand-alone

khelben

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The question is launched.
What about doing a stand alone?
We are on a ugly 3d engine,which will be never updated and which cost 10 USD.
So what the hell.I think we better change the engine.I know this take a long time and need developer.But the project is followed by a countless number of people and we could surely find some coder.
So what do we need to do a stand alone?

A good 3d engine for sure !

What about Ogre ? : http://ogre3d.org/
He is pretty good and updated.We need to "compile" (dunno if it's an English word too) the model for the engine (not to change them) and....I think that he use the bsp files so.It's maybe the only think to do.Am not sure.

Or,if it's too hard,we maybe cando the "next" version of the game" on it.
You know my feeling about the goldsource.I just think that it's stupid to spend much time on it.

So,have fun sharing yours opinions and sorry for spelling mistakes (french retard !)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The entire purpose of Master Sword, since the beginning, has been to create the best RPG experience possible on the Half-Life engine... This completely defeats the purpose of the mod :|

khelben

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Master sword did it.
But seriously,who care?
Master sword is more than a simply mod.It's a world,an history,and some more.
He needs to leave the position of "half life mod" to begin a real game.
Even more ambitious than "he best RPG experience possible on the Half-Life engine".

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Because it is easier to find modders for a popular commercial engine with hundreds of games and millions of gamers than it is to find people experienced with the various stand-alone engines.

If the people who made these stand alone engines made them compatible with popular commercial engines, there’d be more hope for them. (Although I think there are one or two made off the Quake3 source that are…)

I would love to leave Steam for obvious reasons. I’d also love to work with the Unreal SDK instead, as it’s much more complete, and has a comparable developer population. But we’d lose all our current developers in the process, as Half-life is what they know. Since MSC has been on the Half-life engine for nearly a decade, it’s only natural that the developers there of would move onto becoming familiar with the Half-Life2 (source) engine. So, while a migration to a new, more reliable engine and SDK might seem logical on the surface, it simply isn’t practical.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Exactly which unreal engine? seeing there are more than one UT game, unless they all use the same engine.

Personally, I would move. Specially after seeing some media of "devil behind canvas" which looks fantastic (UT3 mod)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
UT3 of course...
DevilBehindCanvasScreenshot_by_Guesscui.jpg

DBC___Monster_Model_1_by_Guesscui.jpg

DBC_interactive_storyboard_by_Guesscui.jpg

newscreen-4.1.jpg

EdwardMasion-5.jpg

Drooooolll...

Meh, too good to happen... :( - But I can dream can't I? I suppose there's also the complication that there's actually more RPG's in development (and released) for Unreal than Source, so there'd also be more competition for developers.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Competition? more like more choices for the players, unless all of those RPGs use the same levelling system and gameplay, in that case only the fanciest would win.

I dont think there would be competition as long as the mod has something unique that makes it different from the others

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I never liked UT3 and don't like the games that come from the engine.

khelben

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think you are wrong thotie.
The "developer" here can easily change theirs habit.
For the model,you just need to make a different compilation,for the map,it ain't change a lot of think.Am sure it's possible to convert a map from hammer to an another engine.(you can move a map from serious sam engine,to half life,this is the same).
Quake engine use a special "map creator" but i remember that a guys was using hammer to make his map on it.
You have to think that a stand alone could save the game from his death.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
I never liked UT3 and don't like the games that come from the engine.

I’ve never actually played UT3, but I’ve seen the SDK, and I’m seriously effing impressed. I’ve also worked some with the U2k4 SDK, and there’s just such a world of difference when the engine designers make their software with modders in mind, rather than wait for the community to hack up a wiki based on backwards engineering. The thing is just an easy dream to work on compared to Half-life.

I have played the Bioshock demo, and graphically, I think the engine would be wonderful for MS. Plus it does have the benefit of being the only game that Yahtzee ever came close to giving a good review to (that wasn’t designed for the Commodore 64). ;)

engrish said:
I think you are wrong thotie.
The "developer" here can easily change theirs habit.
I think you overestimate the flexibility of our developers. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Twue, although he gave Bioshock game of the year... But he's also said something about reserving part of his time for giving Valve employees head, so it maybe a bad example.

Plus, of course, Bioshock is distributed by Steam, and was indirectly responsible for the last time I had Steam downtime lasting this long. >_>

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I have been working on Source since it came out (a bit earlier than that too :oops: ) and I am completely ready to switch to the source engine...

but if MSC ever switched engines I'd want it to be on one that offered massive room in which to build maps, instead of the puny improvement that the source engine had. UT3 would certainly be awesome to map for and in my line of work I would have no problem switching to it.

Although, I might want the Crytek engine a bit more >_> Making maps and models for Crysis is so god damn easy and fun...you guys have no idea what you've been missing :/

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'd choose the Source engine for its rather modest requieriments to run it.

Seriously if all the team wants to move and work on MS:S, im more than willing to do so, tough i'd have to learn some new things about modelling.