What is the development history of master sword?

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kinda curious how it went down :p

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, i can point out that it contained alot of bug squishing and fixing. :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Do you just want a changelog? For that you could go here... At the moment, I'm unable to contact the main rig and my Steam is refusing to start, so if you really want, I could regale you with the "epic story" of MSC's history, but I'll spare you (and everyone else), if a changelog is all you're after.

Granted, the changelog only covers from 2006 on - which is a bit over a year after the initial MSC release, and about eight years after initial inception of Master Sword.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I could regale you with the "epic story" of MSC's history
That's what I was looking for :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fair warning: I'm going to make you regret asking this...

In the beginning, there was Dogg... And Dogg said, "LET THERE BE FIGHTS!", and loe, it was good.

Blasphemies aside, the game was, more or less, started as a hobby project by Dogg, back in 1999, the early days of WON, and was among the first full conversion Half-Life mods to take shape (Wizard Wars being the only other in similar genre, at the time). It was, at best, primitive, and wasn't really ready for a full public release until a few years after, but the framework from that system still remains inside MSC to this day.

Dogg eventually worked out an increasingly elaborate scripting system, which allowed other, less experienced coders, to rapidly expand on the project, which brought in Evaan, and a few of the other early MasterSword creators.

Eventually Lanethan showed up, and gave a soul, to what was before a simple coding curiosity. He created a lore, centering around the struggle behind the balance of powers that wasn't too dissimilar to the MSC world we're familiar with today.

Then Steam came... and killed the whole thing for a few years.

Eventually, under the leadership of Lord K (Kuroneko) - Evaan, DrKill, Ewok, Gaz, and a few others, managed to modify the game to work under Steam, and this eventually attracted the eye of Dogg, who began to modernize the project for use with what, at the time, was the newer Steam SDK. This project eventually led to the first iteration of MSC, providing some new graphical enhancements, the return of magic (somewhat), and about doubled the size of the world.

However, there was a traitor in their midst, who shall not be named, and friction with this individual, and among the remainder of the group, caused the team to, more or less, fall apart, at about the time MSC 1.0 was ready to be released. Additionally, there were horrid memory leaks and other fundamental problems with the initial release. Dogg did stick around long enough to put out a few code side patches, but with the majority of the team fleeing for the hills, Dogg too, eventually, wandered into the sunset, leaving Lord K virtually empty handed.

I, myself, had been "modifying" Mastersword as a third party since its late WON days, mostly doing map fixes and repairs on that side of things (some of which were not entirely approved of by the dev team). During those years, Crow and I had been rigging up increasingly elaborate map side fixes and expansions to work around our lack of access to the scripting system and source code, and each time, Lord K would say, "You know, ya could do XXX with scripts."

Within the first year of MSC 1.0's release in January 2005, Lord K tossed me a few scripts, and basically said, "have at it". Under his tutelage, I was eventually able to fix several problems, and begin to expand the world proper. A lot progress came about in a very short while, as mappers, finally free of constraint, started climbing onto the project from all over.

There were limits to what could be fixed script side, however, and it took nearly another year before we managed to get the code to even compile, and maybe another six months or so beyond that, before we got a coder who was willing to do anything other than develop hacks.

Once we had that, however, we were able to not only fix critical code issues, but rapidly expand the script system itself. Some of The Great Old Ones returned, for a time. Gaz came back, gave us a new Bludgeon model, among a great number of model fixes. Evaan came back, and started scripting again. Soon, the world swiftly expanded and brought in even more mappers and modelers. Crow returned, and made yet another map series. Avzool, AmIAnnoyingNow, Barnum, Dridje and several others continued to increase the sheer size of the game from a handful of maps, to a world the size we barely dared dream of. FER, among others, added greatly to our OC art repertoire, and Orochi helped thoroughly optimize our modeling system through consolidation. Other passerby media content providers, of all sorts, came in on the project in droves just far too numerous to credit here, and MSC truly became a community built mod.

However, community turmoil, lead largely by another who shall not be named, eventually banished all The Great Old Ones. Along with them, several of the newer coders, scripters, modelers, and mappers fled under the constant onslaught. At the same time, most of the team that remained, found themselves tied up in an effort to prevent the various cheats, hacks, and exploits folks of this ilk were spreading in some never ending war, thus, with their hands so tied, and the developer's army rapidly shrinking to boot, the world could not expand. Eventually, tired of seeing everyone I struggled to bring into the project driven away by an angry element of the community, even I resigned.

A few, truly dedicated individuals, lead by The Man in Black, managed to keep the project breathing for during those dark times. The flame wars persisted, but eventually he managed to convince even me to come back, and help apply all the changes he'd been quietly making during the painful interim.

This brought us our first new weapon line since 2004 - the polearm - and allowed us to integrate a great number of maps and models that had been sitting in a locked dungeon for what seemed like an eternity. The game picked up, and seemed to have a future once again.

But the same forces that brought on the previous dark age, while diminished, had not vanished entirely, and the creative forces of MSC were fewer than ever before, and thus more vulnerable than ever before. In addition, as with most developers, the majority of them were at that "age of transition" - where one gets a job, gets married, and, well, has kids.

Eventually, real life, coupled with the never ending frustration caused by the constant antagonism, caught up with too many members of the remaining dev team. In what could almost be described as a death rattle, it lashed out at the last of its enemies, but it was too little, and too late. Everyone who could script was gone, save one. Everyone who could code was no longer willing to deal with the frustration on top of their own real life obligations. Mappers were dreamers, few and far between, and modelers were all but non-existent, reluctant to put in even the most basic of efforts for art that may never see the light of day. Meanwhile, the Goldsrc developing community at large, with every other minor mod being slain by random Steam updates, continued to shrink into oblivion, thus there was no longer a pool from which to refresh our rapidly dwindling team of developers.

...and now, really, it's just me...

A few mappers hold on, dreaming of the day when we might see a patch and their maps might be released, but they are not the broad problem solver mappers of old, nor do they have any motivation to be, knowing it all hangs on my getting their work out, in the way that they desire, and that I should be solving their problems for them. Meanwhile, while certainly not at an age of transition, my life seems suddenly full of more unwanted excitement than since the last time I was. So I push the few frustrated dreaming mappers, to do whatever they can without me, and remain stingy with what I can offer, beyond advice, while, ever so slowly, pecking away at script, and code, and modeling, as best I can, while Steam updates continue to create ever more numerous and ever stranger puzzles, far beyond my capacity to resolve on my own.

Thus, things are looking pretty bleak.

But not hopeless.

RKS has manage to keep our web services afloat and stronger than ever, provided us with the most reliable and wide reaching set of MSC servers we've ever had, and even given us hope for a Green Light which, may, resolve some of the worst of the problems Steam has laid upon us. Others have been providing new music and voice talent to add to a future release. Progress is slow, to be sure, but it is also steady, so a new expansion is indeed inevitable, with time - it's more of question of whether it will be grand enough to justify this new long period of darkness, and where things will go from there.

And when we look upon what we have accomplished over the years, it's hard not to have hope. Despite all the turmoil we've seen, and all the miss-matched duct tape and glue that holds the whole thing together, MSC is indeed a majestic beast. From such humble beginnings, it is now by far the largest mod Goldsrc has ever produced, with nearly a hundred internal maps, and thousands of creatures lying in wait amongst them, it forms a world like none other in its sphere.

(Okay, Svncoop might be *somewhat* comparable, but that's about it.)

So yeah, there's your development history.

...and then there's MSS... Which has a dramatically intertwined history that I could, similarly, go on about for far too long... Or at least until I get my Steam working again (which will probably be this weekend).

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
*sheds a tear at the end* I loved it! :)

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I do not regret. Could we possible get a summary of MSS' development? :p

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
greatguys1 said:
I do not regret. Could we possible get a summary of MSS' development? :p

thoth_logo_notthisagain_fix2.png

^Thothie's reaction when he reads that. :roll:

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I never knew Thothie was such an excellent raconteur.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
A history of MSS might be difficult, seeing as how a large portion of events happened outside this community, on a forum hosted by Rickler. It'd have to be Thothie if anyone though, as I'm biased and anyone else who could tell the tale is long gone.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, while I did lerk both those forum sets quite a bit, and was instrumental in a good portion of the drama, I wasn't privy to everything... But as I've had my Steam back for awhile now, I can't justify spending precious MSC time on yet another spiel, at the moment. Plus, I'm not sure how to go about it without referring to every other person involved as "He who shall not be named #1-#33". ;)

But, I'll be on the road again later this week, so maybe I'll have some time to kill - even if it'd probably be better spent writing scripting tutorials.

CSS

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And then, for the briefest of time, MSC/MSS caught the eye of the renown mapper Rickler, who created mind blowing maps, eventually offering his hand in MSS development.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This is a "A Pictorial Developer History of MSC" - sorta, kinda, smashing together every remaining MSC related image archived on my web host... Lost quite a few over the years, due to a combination of host migration and hard drive crashes, but there's a lotta nostalgia in this little photo album.

2001-2004: Ye old MS logo. (Was animated.)
quickie.jpg

2003-2007: Little-G's minions plague the world. (Or, at least the original third party Goblintown, and a bunch of cheat maps.)
bludgeon_crap1.jpgbludgeon_crap2.jpg

2003-2005: Always remember - Lord K likes Azumanga Daioh.
higuard-chiyo-chan.jpg
lord_bs_Azumanga.jpg

2003: 'splaining the basics.
rollerskates.gif

2003-2005: It used to be that MS 1.3-1.35 wouldn't tell you which script was bad when it crashed, so we made this little proggie to help us develop for MS - and tell us when we fudged up.
bogus_script.jpg

2003: With some help, Crow gives birth to "Curse of the Bear Gods"... Which required explaining... As, at the time, any map made by anyone else but the official dev team was considered a cheat map. (...though TBH - the bulk of them were.)
crow_welcome.jpg

2003-2006: The original Sky Castle, pre-revamp by Replica.
crow_bats.jpg

2003: My first attempt at mapping involved a portal nexus for which to travel between MS 1.3 maps - as a sort of compromise to my controversial (and eventually final) solution, of simply letting you spawn anywhere the server happened to be. The map was... very gaudy.
gr_prettylight2.jpg
gr_customroom.jpg
gr_frontroom_south.jpg

2003-2007: Zomg those old arms!
fix_dis.jpg

2004: Kuroneko founds msremake.com - and messes with our heads.
ninja.gif

2004: It was a simpler time...
mst2keys.jpg

2004: Most of the time...
mst2packs.jpg
effing_read.jpg

2004: Some sh*t never changes - or does, and then changes back again.
mst2trans.jpg

2004: Thothie cheatin again.
sprites_as_textures.jpg

2004: Goofie program to convert cheat maps into non-cheat maps en-mass - cuz there were maybe 90 maps to filter through. It'd basically hunt down all your cheat ents, and turn them into random useless stuff.
uncheat_screen.jpg
flamearrows.jpg

2004: The community made various attempts to improve the asthetics of the MS 1.3-1.35 health/mana bars - which were just frame sprites, instead of mask drawn objects.
healthvial-blood.gifhealthvial-heart.gifmannavial-crystalball.gif

2004: This bit of Tundra was actually originally part of mines.bsp, back in pre-release MSC.
wip_pic2_tundra.jpg

[MSC First Release, January 2005]

2005: Zombie dwarves make the scene.
dz_frame2.jpg

2005: Lord K makes the mistake of introducing me to the beta-catapult - which apparently fired in burst mode.
msc_catabeta.png

2005: Discovering HINT brushes don't work like we think they should.
hint_thumb.gif

2005: Beta bank goes bankrupt.
bank_closed.gif

2005-2011: Remember these two bugs? Remember all the time we spent banging our heads in the wall trying to fix it? Remember how it turned out to all be Valve's fault and they finally fixed it? Yeah, good times.
cache_error.jpggrrrr.jpg

2005-2010: The infamous "Load-Error-Reconnect" bug - that MiB finally resolved for us. Clicking on this would result in instant death.
duh.jpg

2005-2011: The dreaded character overflow bug. More or less defeated by MiB through several mitigations - though we still have other item limitation issues.
ruhoh.jpg

2005-2010: Despite all MiB's best effort, this pants-on-outside-retarded bug still plagues us a bit, though not nearly as consistently as it once did.
armor_fubarb.jpg

Related bug also continues to haunt, though similarly, with even less frequency.
p_body_wtf.jpg

2006-2009: For a long time, to cut down on the beta pack size, we had this nifty dos-based map patcher. As new iterations of Windows started cropping up, however, it became increasingly unreliable, and was eventually abandoned for bloat (thankfully wider broadband also became increasingly common, so it wasn't a huge deal.)
map_patch2.gif
map_patch3.gif

2006: Thothie makes sh*t horridly complicated in Calruin2.
calruin2_hammer.jpg

2006: First shot at the Ice Blade. (First weapon statistically better than the PSB.)
giceblade_old.jpg

2006: Thothie fuxes with Frodo's work of art.
keep_test_vis3.jpg
keep_test_vis4.jpg
keep_test_vis1.jpg
keep_test_vis8.jpg
keep_test_vis2.jpg
keep_test_vis9.jpg

2006: Coding up The_Keep boss, while working in ye old XP and downloading no-doubt-totally-legit stuff from ye old DC++.
thothie_at_work.jpg

2006: War... War never changes.
newmemerror.gif

2006: A coder or two commits suicide after seeing MSC++
models_fine.gif

2006: Kuroneko announces MSS. Remaining team says, "But we cannot into..."
mss_logo_moar_thumb.jpg

2006: Alpha lodagond.
uber_reaver.jpg

2006: Thothie nitpicks Lodagond.
align.jpg

2007: Lodagond becomes a thing, and Blood Drinker begins its no-clip trolling.
ms_death1-5.jpg

2007: Charlie the Ice Troll loses a kidney.
kidney.jpg

2007: Demon claws had... Issues.
emo_claws1.jpg

2007: Tweaking Ara into playability...
ara_plus_boat_thumb.gif

2007: RIP is born, bringing several different developers along with.
color_skull.gif

2007: Shuriken gives us XP display (little known fact, there are several options for display formats.)
xp_fin2.gif

2007: Old Helena Returns - giving us time traveling catapults.
cata.jpg
torwhodoc.jpg

2007: HP Bars become a thing.
hpbar_small.jpg
hpbar_big.jpg

2007: Curse of the Beargods finally migrates from MS 1.3
drogmap.jpg

2007: Korkis drama - though I can barely remember what it was about.
kokris_makes_me_cry.jpg

2007: Thothie applies his easter egg dyes to skeletons.
skele_crew.jpg

2007: Cheaters gonna cheat...
entmod_cheater.jpg

2007: Gaz Bludgeons us.
iBludgeon.gif

2007: Nightmare Thornlands
texturebug.jpg

2007: Crow founds the Lolathon thread. 157 pages and still growing.
dos_equis.jpg

Alucard meets MSC.
alucard_wolf_reskin_joke.jpg

2007: Someday, we will find Erkold's child - hopefully not decapitated.
pedo_bear_approves.jpg

2008: This effing sword is everywhere...
msc_bear.jpg
felewyn_fireworks.jpg
zp_felewyn2.gif

2008: Orochi and Gaz fix various texture seem and alignment issues.
difference4.jpg
buckwheat.jpg

2008: msc_aaa.wad appears.
aaa_all.jpg

RP iz srs business.
old_helena0019copy_thumb.jpg

2008: We begin to seriously expand...
map_w_terrain6_thumb.jpg

2008: We introduce "chubby scorpions".
baloon_scorp.gif

2008: Yes, they are still ugly.
before_aftah.jpg
gman_drag.jpg

2008: Apostle weaponry we keep dreaming about... (Actually in your models folder.)
ssside1.jpg

There were many attempts at dragons over the years...
dragon_red.jpg
fire_lizard.jpg

2008: Economic crisis.
cheater_jm.jpg
gold.jpg

2009: Orochi achieves enlightenment/CHIM, and promptly zero-sums.
cloak_attempt1.jpg

2009: Fer made us king, and he's been on the back burner ever since.
king.jpg

2009: Thothie kinda gets permissions for a retail model. Community responds: "Hellz naw!"
batlord.jpg

2009: Lore butchering continues...
ye_old_wheel_of_morality2.gif
ms_wheel_of_morality2.gif

Crow maps that never made it. Some of which we've no source for. :\
crest_raven.jpg <- Crow's official developer crest
oculus_stargate2.jpg
gLwireframe.jpg

Also, Crow's Underkeep - mentioned by a dwarf or two:
lights1.jpg
lights2.jpg
lights3.jpg
lights4.jpg
lights5.jpg
lights6.png
underkeep_sc_thumb.jpg
This last picture of Underkeep is from a more recent compile - so it may yet see the light of day.

2009: Early attempts to revamp the board.
screenshot_thumb.jpg

2009: FER makes this higher poly skeleton model - which is now actually available in game, but as of yet unused. (Skeletal Mage.)
undeads4.jpg

2000-2005: Thothie tries to remember what it was like to be young.
cyberia.jpg
alucard.jpg

Meanwhile, people just keep gettin older...
truewarrior_cake.jpg
bday_stoned.jpg
smash-ed-cake.jpg
lockdown_cake.jpg
Wish I hadn't lost the ones I made for Sabre - with his & FER's elder earth elemental carrying The Cake of Lies.

2009: Trying to explain the difference between "Tweak", and "Twink", and giving up.
tweak_twinked.jpg

2010: Female model had some kinks to work out.
vertex_wrong_bone.jpg
ms_invisible_midriff.jpg

2010: Feminized the rest of the armor a bit later.
unmanly_female.jpg

2010: Little-G's dewmed demi-God.
ipatsu.jpg

2010: Explaining vis blocking to Furion.
hipoly.jpg

Various rejects over the years:
night_shade.jpgww_bear.jpg
same_different2.jpgmask_wtf.jpg

We've yet to use this guy - hope I didn't lose him. :\
guard.jpg

2010: New boar model, with some help by Lady E and FER.
boar_new.gif

2010: Bloom... Did not work right away, and went through a few enhancement stages through 2012.
ACID_IS_BAD.jpg
bloom_progress1.jpg
ryza.jpg
msc_bloom2.jpg

2010: Polearms, similarly, had some kinks to work out.
throw_wah.jpg

Once again, poly is high...
KickinAxe_pic1.jpg

2010: Dridje manages to scare the fuck out of everyone, by creating this image. (Just FYI: I do NOT do global character wipes, ever.)
thothie_poser_wtf.gif

2010: Achievement: Ricker's Sorc Villa released.
halflife11.jpg

2010: MIB gives us the ability to change arrow types... And Thothie forgets to put it in the changelog.
arrows.jpg

2010: Drigien gives us the ability to display status icons and TGA images on the hud, though not actually applied until 2011.
status_icons2.jpg

2010: Desura gave us the middle finger, demanding full and direct control over our releases.
damn_desura.gif

2010: MiB learns how2make babbie!
sophie_guildmistress.jpg

Some weapons that didn't make it, or may yet make it.
gold_longsword_viewmodel.jpg
zomg.jpg
wand1.jpg
wand1_view.jpg
wand9.jpg
skull_mace.jpg
cosmo_sword.jpg

2011: Thothie gets rony while scripting.
jeri_ryans_chest.gif

2011: We discover VHLT - and the frustration that comes with.
vhlt_lighttest_standard.jpg
nullfile_no_workie.jpg

We know it. We've always known it.
msc_drama.jpg

2011: Phlames and friends enter the scene.
khaz_reskin.jpg

2011: For a good time - ask Phlames about his anime fetish.
hibari_tentacle.jpg
hibari_tentacle2.jpg

2011: Made this door trim for Bloodshrine using Milkshape's text converter and DX tools. Never did use it, though the methodology may yet be useful.
door_trim.jpg

2011: Spike & Barley make us infamous on Youtube... So tempting...
so_tempting.jpg

2011: RKS gives us a ludicrous number of servers. (A good number of which still continue to survive.)
rks_list2.jpg

2011: What our spiders would look like, if Gldsrc could render fur proper.
spidershot2b.jpg

2011: Someone sends Thothie a Thothie.
thothie_plushie.jpg

2011: Tweaking Idlemark's navigation bugs.
mobclip_insanity.jpg

Just when ya think it's dead, MSS's corpse takes another breath.
mss_logo2.jpg

2011: The first media contest begins!
galats_chest_o_games.jpg

2012: ...and Avocado wins first prize! (Sans rainbow boobs)
wow_this_is_so_wrong.jpg

2012: Eclipse, long since dead, gives us a good model for Hunderswamp.
keeper2.jpg

2012: ...and we bring back a considerably less sophisticated model for nostalgia's sake.
borsh_powah.jpg

2012: Hunderswamp released, with a whole lotta vertexes.
hunderswamp_north_overview.jpg

2012: Keldorn finally gets the recognition he deserves.
trollcano.jpg

Keldorn burns Thothie bad.
burned.jpg

2012: Thothie and MiB fail to placate the community again.
thoth_all_is_well.jpg

2013: We have now achieved ludicrous map expansion.
worldmap_thumb.jpg

2012: Sabre makes Thothie rage.
hunderswamped.jpg

In case you were ever wondering what the FN rollback system looks like.
choose_wisely.jpg

2013: Yet to be used mob.
cave_ogre_thug1.jpg

Thothie lurks.
thoth_lurking_in_background.jpg

2013: Why Thoth? Why!?
sorcer.jpg

Thothie tries Regex.
hieroglyphic_regex.jpg

2013: Thanks to Lady E and FER, we finally get to fight a dragon - and his friends.
dguard1.jpg
jaminporlants_wip.jpg

2013: Soup becomes a thing.
soup.jpg

===

BONUS (/showoff)

nekobus.jpg
ns/co_totoro

Not a lot of folks are aware of this, but I did a CO map for Natural Selection awhile back, recreating the house from My Neighbor Totoro. The house formed the marine base, and a nearby Monoke styled forest formed the alien hive loc, with a cat-bus tram in between. I know there's at least one Miyazaki fan here who might have get a kick out of it so...

org_side.jpg
side.jpg

totoro_title.jpgorg_bathhouse.jpg
bathouse.jpg

org_front1.jpgrl.jpg
front1.jpg

org_front2.jpg
front2.jpg

org_veranda_hall.jpg
veranda_hall.jpg

den.jpg

org_attic.jpg
attic.jpg

xenocide.jpg

Good times...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, shoulda made a new thread so it wouldn't immediately get bumped off though.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Interesting read, but didn't MS:C get released on January 1st 2006, rather than 2005...?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/master-sword-continued
http://www.gamefront.com/files/4559013/ ... d_v1_0_Mod (MS:C v1.0 installer uploaded here on Jan. 3rd, 2006)

And this:
http://www.msremake.com/fn/news.txt
12/31/05|
New Years Release!|
[email protected]|
Kuroneko|
We're finially there! There may be a few lingering bugs so let us know on the forums if you find any. Currently our central server is down, so the official network won't be available to save characters on.<br>
<br>
Never the less....MASTER SWORD CONTINUED 1.0 (~175 megs)<br>
<br>

Bonus:
03/21/05|
Mistake with current full install|
[email protected]|
Kuroneko|
It appears that the current full version of MS 1.35 has the wrong directory name. The directory should be 'MS' not 'msyar'. Please alter the directory name on your clients and servers. Thank you.|Kuroneko1.jpg|
Haha, I remember this! Steam Friends would give popups saying:
[name] is now playing Master Sword Yar
Apparently Kuroneko didn't want to confuse the current public MS build with the upcoming MS:C one, so he renamed MS to "Master Sword Yar" in liblist.gam I believe. Fun times.
:mrgreen:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I keep thinking that, but I've got all these files with modified dates from 2005 that are clearly images of MSC, and not MS 1.35... *shrug* It maybe my puter is on crack, as I don't recall having access to the early betas, at least not until 2007 or so.

...and yeah, I remember Master Sword Yar... Never did learn what that was about... I remember the memory leaks from dev_a through dev_h as well. ><

Did lose a lot of fun images, sadly... I'm pretty religious with backups, so it's kinda surprising - though I've an old backup drive I've not delved into.

edit: Though, I just realized, there are apparently some images on my host that aren't mirrored on my HD...

Like THIS ONE! :oldshock:

ner0sense

New Adventurer
Sons of Babel
DarkTide
Reaction score
@Thothie

What a wonderful post!
Makes me wish i had discovered this game earlier :(

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I've had instances where these weapon models would replace my current weapons model, like the top image replaced my GBA and the lower replaced my raven's mace. I had always wondered where those weapons existed, now I know! Woohoo!! :D

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Say what! This dino would have been awesome to see.

fire_lizard.jpg

These models... and well that one high poly axe. Damn.

zomg.jpg

cosmo_sword.jpg

What happened to this mace? I figured it was planned for a release eventually, but that never happened.

skull_mace.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Zeus9860 said:
What happened to this mace? I figured it was planned for a release eventually, but that never happened.
Lessee... You'll notice a certain Hobgoblin chief swinging that bugger around - but the original modeler said to hold off until he made a new version - as it kinda looks like a giant potted plant in the view model - and then, well, he never delivered.

One hope was to have it shoot off a couple of guided skull projectiles at a time, and have them remove themselves from the viewmodel as they were used up, but, meh, even with a new model, gonna be tricky, and seems none is coming. May eventually just go with the potted plant, but we're not in the market for more bluntarms just now.

Regorty said:
I've had instances where these weapon models would replace my current weapons model
Yeah... Damn that bug... Not made any headway removing that bug, but I have axed some unused models from the collective models to help cut back on texture overhead, and as such, you may stop seeing models that aren't already in game come next patch. So enjoy your random Torkie scythes while you can.

Zeus9860 said:
Say what! This dino would have been awesome to see.
May yet see him as the final boss in the Underkeep Arena, if we ever get around to that. Was also on the list for wandering beasties in Aluhandra, but alas.