INFO What Do I Do If My Character Needs To Be Restored?

ArcticWolfSakuya

New Adventurer
Reaction score
-The date your character last worked: 4:30 (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
-Your full SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17149727
-The slot your character was in: 1 and 2
-WTF happened to your character? char in slot 2 went back to being level 1 on everything and lost all items and my char in slot 1 transfered items over to the one in slot 2.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Rolled back slot #2... The slot #1 character looks intact... But I'm a bit perplexed as to what you're at there.

Also, was there another player with you at the time?

ArcticWolfSakuya

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yes there was. my friend is just waiting to get her registration email so she could post one on here also.

edit. so the items i transferred over from one char to the other is gone.

Vie_Lassiel

New Adventurer
Reaction score
-The date your character last worked:
- Tue Jan 21, 2014 @ 4:30pm | (UTC-06:00) CentralTime (US & Canada)

-Your full SteamID:
- STEAM_0:1:16230733

-The slot your character was in:

-WTF happened to your character?
- Character in slot 1 just randomly went back to level 1, lost all items, and changed to the default male starter model.

Side Note: (This happend at the exact same time as ArcticWolfSakuya )

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Done.

I assume you are ArcticWolfSakuya's fellow victim.

Vie_Lassiel

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Done.

I assume you are ArcticWolfSakuya's fellow victim.

Yus yus. That would be me.
We were playing together.. changed to Nightmare Edana just to see the map, and boom.. both of our characters were wiped.

I haven't logged in game yet to see if everything is there,
but never the less, I'm very happy to have a quick response.
Thank you very much. ^-^

Also.. just to sorta help with the confusion with ArcticWolfSakuya's problem.. if I may.
She had two characters, one of which.. transferred items over to the first character only just prior to the wipe happening.. thus making the items she had worked hard to get, gone in the abyss. Since even a rollback on the wiped character won't give those items back since the xfer happened only minutes before the wipe. which is why she was asking for both characters to be rolled back to the nearest one possible, just prior to the wipe.

I hope that helps explain..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I rolled her slot#1 char back, despite it being intact. Dun think item duping resulted, due to the narrow window.

I apologize for this mess - there are updates being done regularly on the server end we run on top of that we've no control over, and this seems to be the latest odd result. Thankfully it's still a fairly rare occurrence. (Though it seems when it rains, it pours.)

Vie_Lassiel

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I rolled her slot#1 char back, despite it being intact. Dun think item duping resulted, due to the narrow window.

I apologize for this mess - there are updates being done regularly on the server end we run on top of that we've no control over, and this seems to be the latest odd result. Thankfully it's still a fairly rare occurrence.

Hey, it's understandable, don't sweat it.
I'm sure everyone here can agree that we are just really happy to have such quick responses,
and help with the matters. I mean this experience has been way better than any main stream game admin support, I've ever encountered, and I've played quite a lot of games.. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Also, I just want to say on behalf of ArcticWolfSakuya and my self,
Thank you very much.

At first we thought that recovering our characters was going to be a lengthy process that would ultimately end up with a result not worth the trouble, but you've proven us both wrong, and kept us playing MSC that much longer.

ArcticWolfSakuya

New Adventurer
Reaction score
-The date your character last worked: 4:20 pm (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
-Your full SteamID: STEAM_0:1:17149727
-The slot your character was in: 2
-WTF happened to your character? i was transferring items again and my char went back to level one with no items. we were at edana

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dude, again? Already? And who was with you this time? :\

Done...

Ya know, ya might try delaying your reconnect and seeing if it prevents the issue. I think you can currently do so by editing your msc/recon.cfg - find the line beginning with alias lwait and tack on like ten extra ;waiter1 commands. Might help, might not, but I think you're the first person to get nailed twice in a single month by this.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Hey i think i know a temporary solution to this issue, since this bug seems to happen upon reconnecting(?) or after map change, perhaps you could forcibly close the game each time a mapchange occurs and make a popup message say "game closing in 5-10 seconds, to avoid reconnection issues, restart game when closed", so the player is informed of what is happening.

I'm pretty sure this would at least tone down the issue, i'm not sure if this happens mostly after a mapchange or if it happens even if u reconnect without changing maps, when it happened to me, it was after a mapchange, delaying the connection to the server might help too, but i would go with forcing the game to close. At least untill you manage to find the real issue.

I know this sounds annoying to the player, but at least it might drop on the rollbacks department. I would rather restart the game each time i want to play, than loose my progress randomly many times a day and come here and ask for a rollback.

edit: Alternatively, this issue could strike the first few players to join the server and then go back to normal, if this is the case, the solution won't work... But i highly doubt this is the case, first time i saw this happen, the first group of joiners got whiped, and late joiners got all of their stuff on loading.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I can't do either of those things without an update...

Steampipe screwed with the way the HLDS responds to reset and shutdown requests, so I suspect that is related to what is up. Steampipe also screwed with our ability to send certain commands to the client, which is what messed up our reconnect system, and why it now works in a screwier, if faster, way. If disconnection would help, an increased reconnect delay should have the same effect, but I'm not sure if either is going to help. Seems more likely an issue with the HLDS not resetting the way it used to.

Barring a patch, you can manually increase the reconnect delay yourselves, as instructed, but no promises as to whether it's actually going to help.

It's true, forcing a total shutdown between maps would help with the texture scramble issues as well, but there's no reliable way to pull the external IP of the server you were connected to, to make sure you got back to where you were (since Steam often returns the internal IP)... And we'd, more or less, have to rig up another program to re-launch MSC, with a similar, unreliable delay, as restarting Half-Life too quickly causes Steam to think the process is still active, sometimes, even if the hl.exe itself isn't there.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Shaftinthecity said:
STEAM_0:1:5168669

Slot 3

Would like it rolled back to the latest state on Feb. 11 or anytime before Feb. 12 2:50 p.m. (EST)
Done.

To prevent future occurrences of this issue, you may wish to try the procedure described: yonder.

Also, please alert us if you've already taken this step, but nonetheless had this issue.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... Are you saying you need another slot rolled back? If so, which?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Right... I did that one. >_>
Code:
Wed 02/12/2014 [ slot3 from fn_archive_2014,02-12_12.rar ] transition_wipe
It even logged. :\

Maybe you were on-line at the time or something... Hrmm... Done again, I guess.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Last time that bank broke was 2011.

Done.

No one else though? :\

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
STEAM_0:1:18622015 (slot #1)
STEAM_0:0:37422332 (slot #2)

These two banks got the 5 HP bug today, saturday the 8th of March 2014, 15:35 UTC.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Done.

Also pass along:

To prevent future occurrences of this issue, you may wish to try the procedure described: yonder.

Also, please alert us if either of them have already taken this step, but nonetheless had this issue.

Also, tell certain people to be careful what they do with their guild banks in tow, in terms of shady dealings. >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
e7dAIQt.jpg

Hush 2.0

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Hello Thothie,

my char sufferd from the infamous 5hp bug again. Would be nice if you could do a rollback.

STEAM_0:1:1339151
Slot 1
UTC+1

Thanks a lot for your help.