Well I got a dedicated up now.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
I live in England, so hopefully it'll be a lower ping server for some of you guys.

Problem is, I can't connect to it. I had a trick before that let me connect to my own dedicated (It's a HLDS one). Yet when I try now, it's cut my whole net out...

Edit: Great, I had it in the server list for ages, now it's suddenly gone again but it's still up... I get a Could not connect to Steam Servers... Yet it worked before :S

Edit 2: It's back up. I disabled something in network connections (Hamachi if you guys know what it is). Cos it said my IP was 5.xxx.xxx which is wrong. But now it says my IP is 192.168.1.xxx. Yet it's back in the list.
sv_lan is 0, any other way I can get my server's IP to not be my lan?

edit 3: gone again, but it has a player on it still... What's up with it?

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
from your point of view your server will be your internal IP address, if you have hamachi keep it off it may use a port that HLDS needs.

if you want to connect to your server and your on the same computer then you will need to type 127.0.0.1:[the port number]. Its your loop back address its about the only way you can connect. Keep in mind though doing this to connect to it may cause monster lag to anyone else playing.

chances are people can see your server, it may just not be showing up on the steam list.

if your still having odd issues with it not staying up on the server list, you could be running an old version of the HLDS, though normally it spams the console telling you your out of date.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
It just randomly appears and dissapeares from the list...

It's been gone for a long time now, and I've tried all sorts to get it back. I have no idea how old my HLDS is, I got it all from the thread in the support section on how to set up a dedicated.

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If you did the thread from the Support section, it should work. I had one up a couple of weeks ago, but my computer isn't good enough for me to run the HLDS and play on it, as well.

Its probably just something with your firewall/router. Have you gone back over everything, and made sure you didn't just make a typo somewhere? I do that all the time.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Make sure your ports are forwarded correctly,

make sure sv_lan 0 is on

and heartbeat

otherwise I dunno, i had a linksys earlier and servers worked fine.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
Make sure your ports are forwarded correctly,

make sure sv_lan 0 is on

and heartbeat

otherwise I dunno, i had a linksys earlier and servers worked fine.

only the sv_lan would make a difference with his setup, in a DMZ no ports need to be forwarded.

The heart beat is used for the AMX plugin restarter program thothie made.

well the only thing I can think of is the flag that tells the server to updated with the master server isn't active.

when the server starts loading look at the console look for a line along the lines of "cannot update with master server" or something like that, something may be blocking your path to the master server or it could be blocking the reply from the master server.

I have a few other ideas as to why it could not be working but I don't want to write any more.

well one more suggestion go to http://www.steampowered.com click support and in the search look for your issue there.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If I were you I'd use Thothie's autorestarter for your dedicated...Easy to set up, and you can connect to your server, albeit its a pingkiller.

CSS

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You want to do port forwarding rather than DMZ although both work... port fortwarding is safer.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
I can make the server show for like 10 minutes, then once it goes away, if I change port and restart it shows again... I've tried all sorts of ports and none keep the server showing. People can still connect, I got 4 on it right now. But they all got in by steam friends =/

Is there anyway I can make the server automatically just change ports every like 5 minutes :S