Wanting to help Modelling/Mapping

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm an ex-modder, kinda. I worked with a couple JKA mods and a few hl1 and hl2 mods, all of which fell through because my teams would never stay dedicated, so i gave up on modding. Now, i've got the bright idea of joining a long-time stickin-together kind of team, and this looks like the place.

I've done both modelling and mapping, preferably mapping. I have now 3 years experience with GTK Radiant tools, 2 years with MS3d and maybe a year or so with Hammer. I haven't modded in a while, keep in mind, but not doubt a couple of days will brush me up.

I have here some pics of some concept models i spiffed up for previous mods. Unfortunately, i have absolutely no maps from any previous mods i worked with, which is horrible cause im more than sure that yall would have been very satisfied.

Here are some concept models. Key word being concept, so they're not exactly all ready to go, but if yall want them im more than happy to pass them along, they're not of any use sitting in my "Old Crap" directory.

This first one is a simple one handed war hammer. A more detailed design, decent poly count, but nothing rediculous.hammer2.gif

This next one was very unfinished, but good and simple enough to understand the concept. *EDIT* replaced with the newly made model
ham1-1.gif

This sword was a tiny bit more complicated, decent poly count, but still straightforward.
sword2.gif

This sword was purely concept and i just wanted to test the idea of a blade with an inset center, which you can kinda see, but when textured can be easily recognized.
sword3.gif

This sword was just very basic, the mod leader just wanted something simple and low-level looking to get the player started with
sword1.gif

This was a concept axe for an barbarian i made in one of my earlier mod teams
axe2.gif

A very very simple shield concept
shield1.gif

Again, i prefer mapping cause i am far more experienced in it and i can garuntee incredibly detailed maps where every inch counts. I'm still mad i no longer have my maps to show yall, but i think i'll put together a new Edana or something real quick and see what yall think.

I would like to help the mod, mainly in mapping because (absolutely no offense intended to previous mappers) i was very disappointed and in some cases and extremely horrified in others when i was running through MS:C.

I'll get back to yall with that map in a few days.

If the mod team wants these models, just ask and ill email them your way.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The first sword and the shield are awesome models. Very well done. Other models were good as well but thoes just caught my eye. We need a modeller more than a mapper but if you want, we could always use both. Talk to dRkiLL about the source project. I believe someone is already working on Edana.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Those look lovely, I hope you're here to stay :D

PS: Could you perhaps make an HL1 map for the current MS:C? That too would be lovely, and a good refresher course ;)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Post download links of your models if you happen to disappear suddenly or never finish the models. We already had many people who posted pics and then disappeared

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
FER said:
Post download links of your models if you happen to disappear suddenly or never finish the models. We already had many people who posted pics and then disappeared

What he said, only with a "Please" in front of it. (We don't mean to be rude, but he's right.)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Actually, we were nice before. Now we must be rude to get the point across.

I mean, what?

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Not all of those models are finished, as i said before they are all just concept models which is why they dont really all look fantastic or anything. i can spiff them all up and finish them if you'd like, but it would be nice if i had something to scale them to (another model for scale comparison).

I'm not going to be disappearing, and im sure some others have said that before and vanished, but even so.

im reinstalling ms3d to finish the models, ill hand them over to yall when they're done and yall can scale/skin/implement them.

i'm extremely eager to show yall what i can do with mapping; i'm extensively experienced in it and can promise some amazing things, but the problem is my Hammer editor is flipping out. None of my window views work, and i cant find any help with that for the life of me.
If someone is working on edana, thats fine, but i would like to politely ask for the map when its finished so i can do some of my own detailing and such.

but, if it is in a higher demand, i will gladly dedicate my time to creating some high quality models, since this is for source and all (no more need to get self-concious about poly count when making stuff).

I'll work on the models this afternoon and redisplay them along with some links for download.

*EDIT*
my bro is also a skinner/modeller, except he specializes in full blown player models of very good quality. Ill post some of his work later, he says he'll be glad to help out the team so long as it sticks together unlike our previous teams.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
philjoh said:
*EDIT*
my bro is also a skinner/modeller, except he specializes in full blown player models of very good quality. Ill post some of his work later, he says he'll be glad to help out the team so long as it sticks together unlike our previous teams.

I don't think this mod could die if it wanted to. We'd tie it to a chair or something. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Either way, new fantastic player models, if also made for MS:C, might give more incentive to fix the model bug that makes it so you can only be male (I'm not bitching, mind you). Of course, sprucing up the existing models would be awesome thar, too. I have a feeling you'll be welcome very well if you help out as much as you say you are, not that you wouldn't be welcomed anyways, unless you're an idiot like some of the people on this forum that have been, for the most part, driven away by our reaction to their stupidity.

Woah, sudden rant.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If you really want to prove your worth. I suggest making things for the HL1 MSC. Get yourself known in our community, then work with source when it has progressed.

Two questions.
1. Do you have any maps that are currently in-game in other mods? For example, Counter-Strike or Half-Life?
2. What kind of experice are you talking about with mapping? Give examples of what you do, maybe even with reference pictures.

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
maybe even with reference pictures.

Thing is, all of my maps are on old or discarded harddrives, so i have nothing to show. I could look around for them, but i'll probably be better off just creating an entirely new map. I'll just redo edana for kicks for MS:C and post a dl link.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I know, I meant actual pictures of places and say "Yea I usually do this." But no big.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Just curious, but do you want to models for HL1 or Source? Because I think youll need XSI to models for Source

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Vista is screwing me over with both hammer editors now, im completely incapacitated when trying to use them. I'll have to set up another comp for mapping and such, but I can still, thank God, work on some models. Hopefully ill be able to present some sort of map by next week. Ill be on later tonight to give the pics and links to the models.

Solid Shadow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
FER said:
Because I think youll need XSI to models for Source
Not really, but as far as I know it's easier to get models from XSI into Source.

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You can convert them over from milkshape, as painful as it is. I can switch over though.

Btw, as for those finished models i promised that would be done tonight, i'll have to take it back, and im very sorry for the false hope.
My hard drive gave out on me when i was messin with the hammer editors some more, i have no idea wtf i did, but it didnt like it.
I managed to set the drive as a slave and get my models off of it, but i have to reinstall xp then vista for my new drive, not to mention all of my steam stuff.
Extremely bad timing for this kinda crap, i know.

Im letting it run overnight, and im gonna just try to get milkshape/xsi and finish the models sunday (got plans tomorrow) so i can have something to give yall soon.

Again, sorry for the false hope on the models. Btw my brother has just about everything from previous mods he's worked on, its almost rediculous. I'll get those on a flash drive and post them up along with links if yall want to use any of the models. Mind you, we don't skin our models, there's ussually someone in the team that does that, but if we have to we know how and, seeing how they're our models, we will take time with it and make them look good. Note the "take time" part, though.

Ill post again tomorrow, just making sure yall dont think i ever "disappear" :D

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
philjoh said:
My hard drive gave out on me when i was messin with the hammer editors some more, i have no idea wtf i did, but it didnt like it.
I managed to set the drive as a slave and get my models off of it, but i have to reinstall xp then vista for my new drive, not to mention all of my steam stuff.

Well, there's your problem. It'd probobly do your computer better to stop after installing XP

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, so i've got everything back up, staying with XP, and i've got steam reinstalling everything atm.

I downloaded the free version of XSI (mod tool), and messed around with it a bit. I decided to make a test run with this tool by finishing one of the hammer concepts i posted before, so here it is.

ham1-1.gif

XSI is refusing to let me export this model, though. I've no clue why, so atm its just saved as a scene.
If yall want the model, i need some pointers as to why i cant export it/save the model itself.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Because you downloaded the free version, it won't let you do really much with it but work on it. (It shouldn't even let you save it but maybe XSI is different that way). But talk to Blasto121 about getting you hooked up with a nice full version of XSI :wink:

Hammer looks good.

Solid Shadow

New Adventurer
Reaction score
There's supposed to be a free "mod" version of XSI, for the purpose of HL2 modelling and animating, atleast there was one when HL2 was released. I dunno if they still going on with that.

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Solid Shadow said:
a free "mod" version of XSI

right, that's what i got and i was under the impression that it would have full functionality for the use of source development.

I've created and completed a few other models; some swords and i'm starting to just make standard world models and such, but i still can't export anything. I've tested out different ways of starting new files, even opening sample model files, altering them, and trying to export them again, but still does the same thing. Saving it never works, always saves as a "scene", idk why but it's starting to frustrate the crap outa me.

I've gotta work right now, i'll be on later tonight to try a few more things and look around on forums to see if i can find any solutions. i'll start posting pics of the models in the art section, since everything seems to be popping up there.

Just out of curiousity, is MS:S actual in development right now? or is everyone still trying to fix up MS:C? the source chatter is fairly dead.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The main focus is on MSC but there is some development in Source.

philjoh

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is it possible to ask for any sketches or blueprints of MS:S maps that need to be made, or maybe even a list of needed models.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Again, talk to dRkiLL about what you can do.