Thornlands Source

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Right,

My work on thornlands source will start this week, but first i require a plan, but since the source engine is well... Allot bigger, simply converting the map and adding detail just won't do!

Facts about thornlands

The Map

1 ) Low level map (training etc)
2 ) Lots of caves areas in the mountains.
3 ) Spider Cave
4 ) Old Mans house

The creatures

1 ) Spiders
2 ) Boars
3 ) Sometimes Orcs
4 ) Rats
5 ) Bears
6 ) Undead
7 ) Bats
8 ) A few others that i haven't mentioned.

Right so... i should either.

A ) Keep the map the same, but extend what is there, making it allot bigger and longer.
B ) Start again, but keep to what the map is supposed to be (e.g low level area, Spider lair etc)
C ) Or maybe a mix of both.
D ) Start completly from fresh

Please discuss...

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
maybe add a forest section in the trans point that leads to bloodrose

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
C a mix of both.

i say keep the general feel and location of places, but redo the landscape to be more detailed and/or larger...adding more parts to the spider cave, etc.

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok,

I've added that to my sketch, is there a complete map of Daragoth i can get my hand on? or even a rough one...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
there should be a (very) rough map on the main site, i don't advise using it though....never could make much sense of it...

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Here is a rough idea so far, from the information i have collected.
I have also left out the exit area names for now, If this is completly wrong please tell me.
I am not going to upload the cave systems that i have drawn up, since i dont want to spoil it all for you, lets just say i plan big.

Bear in mind the scale is rough (its bigger then it looks)

EDIT : I have made it bigger for you : EDIT]

http://toccs.quarin.net/thornlands.jpg

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wish it was bigger, I cannot make out anything.

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You mean add like.. Ms_Cave? and Edna etc?

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I wouldn't say those maps, but why not Heras? :D

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i shall see what source can handle and fit as much in as i possably can.

I will put screen updates here.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I think Edana should be a huge (and I mean huge) map with a big town. And a huge outdoor low level explorable area. Like the size of thornlands now. But your picture seems to follow the same concept with some differneces. Will the grass be just a texture or will it contain lots and lots and lots of tall grass?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I can't see that link?

Its not worked all day for me

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
There will be proper tall grass that moves when you walk through it, modeled trees that sway when the wind blows. and other realistic things.

EDIT

Hold on Gaz try the new link, i have edited my post.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Ooo that sounds very nice. Will grass also be cuttable? Because that would be mega sweet.

Glorfindel

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Damnit, forgot I had to register to post

Anyway, all this talk about lots of swaying grass and cuttable grass is dependant on coding, because right now in standard source engine there are some grass textures that attach grass sprites to the terrain sparingly, but to get full swaying grass (ala Splinter Cell, or some other game you name) it'll require some coding (because I think right now source limits how many detail sprites you can attach to a terrain...i forget). However modelled trees with swaying animations is easy peasy.

Back onto the map, I think there should be more open fields instead of the 'canyons' that HL1 maps had to produce due to limitations, but if you don't want a more open kind of thornlands I would suggest making some areas with vistas that show a nicely detailed 3d skybox with rolling hills and forests etc.

edit: also to add onto barnum's edana comment, the castle should be GREATLY expanded, i like it how it is tucked into a mountain side right now in old edana, but the castle should have turrets and a large church area, homes, and merchant center should be bustling with shops, like a modern fishmarket you see in asia

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Swaying grass can be done without having to change code, by using models which i have; also sprite animation’s can work well.

I have already created the plans for the 3d Sky Box, it will be exactly as you have described.

About the way the thornlands has been portrayed, i will be having wide open fields, as far as you can see, it’s my fault for not adding a scale into the plans. The plan is allot bigger then you think.

My idea is that Edna is elevated off the ground in a mountain pass, so I will begin the map coming out of that pass, down the side of the mountain and into the grasslands.

The view from the starting point will be a forest below surrounded by distant mountains. I am taking into account frame rate, if I took away the mountains there could be a problem.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Also with no worrying about model consolidation in source, we can have many many many different commoners for the markets.

Of course someone must model/skin/animate them :D

Toccs

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Post me something that does then, I am trying my best to keep to the Thornlands style but its hard since the Source engine is so much diffrent.