The forgotten outpost - RELEASED

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
On some maps it automagically switches to "ax_darkclouds" or "space" at night.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
while playing on ur map the other day squirrel i um... was wondering..

Why did they build the watch tower in the BACK out of stone... while everything else is cardboard?

and why does the front cardboard wall have a big gaping hole in it? so the invaders can just waltz on in and not really need to break the wall?

sorry, just givin ya crap... it's a great map :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the humans occasionally need to get through that pass too, and your melee dudes need a place to run to ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
With scripts provided by Thothie?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ATM, you gotta ask me to make a script for you, and I'll have it out the general public the following month (providing you don't ask me for anything complex on the 31st, or anything).

Simply renaming, changing the HP/damage or model on an existing script (to one we have, or one you provide), can generally be done right quick. NPC's that respond to speech and fire map events when given certain items or told certain things, also can be made right quick.

I'm hoping to figure a way to add properties to the msmonster_XXXX map entity that will allow you to do those things yourself. ...and a more complex long-term goal will be to find a way to let content creators have some ability to create their own scripts.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
sorry, I was just reminded of something....

In helena and in the foutpost... There is a watch tower...

would it be possible for the watch tower guy to actually do his job... shout something to his comrades "alerting" them to the incoming enemies? And the human npcs can mobilize?

Another thing... What we have as npc guards and such... shouldn't they be a little bit stronger? Maybe at least be able to take down an Orc Warrior? I honestly think the human soldiers can probably be taken down by a little more than a few ferocious boars... embarrassing...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've actually watched the Helena guards repel level1 and level 2 orc invasions with no help! :oldshock: (They couldn't do this on the old AI, but now all the archers concentrate fire at the same target and alert one another to threats.)

True though, the bandits are far too much for them - plus they don't respond to them as well, due to the direction they come in from. Could stick some extra footmen on that side.

It's also true, the guy in the tower is useless. He can't really "see" from way up there the way monsters work. I could probably rig some sort of invisible NPC that would watch for him at the orc/bandit entry ways, and relay a message for him to respond when it sees something.

Right now my main thing with Helena is just to get the damn NPC's back into their stalls after the battle, so they can offer discount prices to their saviors.

I offered to make stronger guards for Foamy, but it seems, probably wisely, he doesn't want to make the map any easier. Still - Vadrel has 700hp and some armor - he can take down quite a few orcs before he goes.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
he can take down quite a few orcs before he goes.

Being able to take a few normal orcs is useless. Even when soloing it, it takes brawlers or trolls to get to him. He can't take them, not by a long shot. He also usually ends up doing stupid things like:

"Hey! There's a guy protecting me! IMA HIT HIM WIT MA SWORD!"
or
"Well, I know this guy is standing between me and certain demise, but I'm gonna walk towards that giant, friendly looking orc while my blocker is stunned. It's geinouys!"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't think we want him to be able to take down brawlers and trolls, otherwise he wouldn't need you there, would he?

He shouldn't be hitting players unless one hits him first though. (If I could find a way to rig things to be invulnerable to players, but vulnerable to everything else, I'd change that.)

He will only roam so far from his post, so as long as you keep them far enough away, he'll stay out of the battle.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If he could take down a SINGLE, yes he still would need you.

And no, he'll hit players if you jump in between him and an enemy. He'll be swinging at them and hit you.

And 5 feet is enough roaming away from his "post" if there are 5 trolls and 2 brawlers in the area >_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you got brawlers and trolls beyond that fence, then you've already lost anyways. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Not true. I had quite a few back there and fought them all off :roll:

Blizzard is key :)

charcolishen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Blizzard usually ends up hitting Vadrel, its risky =x. Best go with freezing sphere support if the gate goes boom. Least it keeps the idiot supervisor still, rather than forcing critters to have a go at him.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Blizzard doesn't hit him if you aim it right :roll:

Just aim it so that the outskirts of the "circle" are right in front of him

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think that footmen in helena AND foutpost should be able to take 1 or 2 waves... failing on the 3rd. Enemy reinforcements arrive... they are supposed to lose... YOU are their reinforcements...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i'd have to make it harder, to make up for lost waves - overall not worth it since there are so many entities on the map already

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
I think that footmen in helena AND foutpost should be able to take 1 or 2 waves... failing on the 3rd. Enemy reinforcements arrive... they are supposed to lose... YOU are their reinforcements...

I think you only get 1 wave of orcs, just the type of wave varies. Bandits have only one type of raid, but it comes in two parts.

I was a little miffed when I saw they repelled level 1 and level 2 orc raids, as it was never intended that they be able to do that, when Lord K put the map together. (I didn't think the change in organizational skills would have that huge an impact.)

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Well you could just spam Rejuv on him and he'll be the killing machine.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, while it would make *sense* to allow that, I'd have to reduce his HP a ton.

I should let you ice shield him at least though - that seems reasonable.

It MAYBE, if you have never-ever killed a guard, you *may* be able to rejuv him, but I dun think anyone with rejuv at a decent level can say that. ;) (MS saves factions on your characters, guards don't become hostile until you kill at least one.)

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I've never killled a guard.... ever. SC 16, level 27 fencer, 500hp 350mana or so.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lawl, and i have to mention if i haven't already that the wall supports are on the outside of the wall? did the orc build these walls to keep the humans in?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
lawl, and i have to mention if i haven't already that the wall supports are on the outside of the wall? did the orc build these walls to keep the humans in?

details cut down. wall was originally spiked on the outside, with spears and other pointy-things the orcs had to break through first.