Tentadrilus on: Nintendo, Routers and Captainobviousism

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
So basically on January 10th last year we got our Wii console. Now, to get on the internet on the Wii you need some way of conencting the Wii to the internet. So we bought a wireless router. So we got our Wii connected up (after ages of faffing around, it was one of 'them') and we had a look at all the channels. Obviously, the channels weren't as interesting as they are now, so we soon got bored. Then, as soon as all the multiplayer-compatable Wii games start coming out, our wireless router magically breaks leaving our Wii standed in the middle of the intertubes without a paddle. This was annoying. Although I guess it wasn't, because we couldn't afford to fork out for any of the innernets playable games or a new wireless router. It wasn't until January 20th this year (hey guise 375 days) that we got our Wii back on line again. This section was a brainvent.

But anyway, on to the thing I was supposed to have started talking about. I've always wondered why Nintendo bothered to create two types of Wii: the 'Japan only, western bastards' version, which they release all the decent games on, and the 'Here you go, westerners' version which they allow Ubisoft to crap all over. They release all the really really interesting games in Japan, then release it half a year later to everyone else as if to say 'Oh, sorry, we forgot you're also paying customers'. Now, in my opinion, the really really interesting games involve Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. As far as I know, they released MK a while ago and they probably have SSBB too. Bastards.

This leads me disjointedly onto my next "point". So, Nintendo have decided to release a load of clunky plastic bits that you can put the Wiimotes into while playing games. Seems like a nice idea. So they release the Wii Zapper or whatever the hell it is, then fail to make any games that really make use of it (bar the game it comes with, Wii Crossbow Training, which not even my Link-humping (male) friend bought). A flop, apparently. Now, half a year later, they release Mario Kart with yet another piece of (SURPRISINGLY EXPENSIVE) plastic called the Wii Wheel. Me, a fan of Mario and all that hoo-haa-dilly-dally, looked into the cost of Mario Kart Wii with two extra Wii wheels. Gameplay, my most trusted games vendor, are selling Mario Kart for £34.99 ($rediculous and €stupid. <3 conversion rates) with a free Wii Wheel. Seeing that, I think that the Wii Wheels are nice and cheap. Gameplay don't sell them so I'm like WHAT and go to Google and googlify wii wheel. It comes back with a crapload of results and tight-walleted shops selling them for £12.

Now I'm sure this means absolutely nothing to all of you and it looks like I'm trying to imitate Yahtzee and his frankly gripping No Punctuation review series. Well I'm not. Bastards.

TL;DR routers obvious facts japan routers Wii expensive exchange rates read it you lazy sod Bastards.

If you have anything about Nintendo, wireless routers or Captainobviousism, feel free to DISCUSS.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Imo, it was called wee because the "n" button didn't work and typed out another "i" instead. :mrgreen: (For people who doesn't get it, Imo Wii = Win).

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
if you have ever wondered why nintendo does the things they do go to the source... They are a Japanese company! Simply put, before the wii was released they where thinking of moving out of the western market due to lack of sales, Europe wasn't all that much better but sales where still better in the long run.

either way they design there stuff with Japanese in mind, and what they make sells really well in Japan, including those nifty plastic parts. They have been doing this kind of thing since the original NES, super mario 2 known in the states and Europe is not the real super Mario 2. The real super Mario 2 was deemed to difficult for the western and eurpean people, so they made another game just for us.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Jelly said:
Imo, it was called wee because the "n" button didn't work and typed out another "i" instead. :mrgreen: (For people who doesn't get it, Imo Wii = Win).

If the Wii is win, then how come the 'n' button doesn't work?

To put it J-M style... PLZEXPLAIN.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Japan always gets very awesome exclusives (for Wii and every other console)

I thinks theres a Wii games called "Oneechambara" which seems to be a funny hack and slash game (guess what? only in Japan!!!!! :p )

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Jelly said:

If the Wii is win, then how come the 'n' button doesn't work?

To put it J-M style... PLZEXPLAIN.

All right the thing goes like this. Guy who produces Wii and gets to choose the name for it comes in. He sits in front of his computer. He is about to mail the name of the product (the Wii) to some important corporation guy. He presses the W on his keyboard and it types in a W. Then he presses the i and it types in i. Then he presses the n, but the keyboard malfunctions and types in another i instead of the intended n. In case you still don't get it, Wii is made of win. Period. :D :mrgreen:

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Jelly said:
All right, I admit it, the joke sucked, but the point is that Wii is awesome.

Graphics = PlayStation 1 look-a-like
Controlling = FUN.
Wii = Okay.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Mikkel said:
Jelly said:

Controlling = FUN.
Wii = Okay.

Actual knowledge about the Wii graphics: zero.
Actual knowledge about the PS1 graphics: a little.
Conclusion: You don't know much about console graphics thus your conclusion about graphics isn't valid.

:mrgreen:

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Mikkel said:

Granted the graphics processor for the Wii is by far the weakest of the Next-Gen consoles. It's more or less the developers who fail to try to push the graphics on it.

Thankfully, there are a few games right now that have "style" and still manage to implent some nicer looking things (If you've played Mario:Galaxy the "Fuzz" is actually really pronounced). However I think the only games that try to be realistic and have even tapped into the graphics power a little is Medal of Honor and the up and come The Conduit (check out the tech demo at ign or any other gaming site that's covering the game) for a look at wii being able to do full water reflections,refraction, full time lighting and shadow effects and such all in Real time (I'd put it at about Mid-level 360 graphics).

Granted the tech demo and actual game play still can be far apart, but here is to hoping that someone will finally show people that you don't have forget about the graphics completely even if you intend to make your game unique/fun.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The only thing half the internet (and all my friends) care about is graphics.

For God's sake, doesn't the gameplay influence your decision? Y'know, the actual game? No? I'd better stop using italics then.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Jelly said:
Mikkel said:
Jelly said:

Controlling = FUN.
Wii = Okay.

Actual knowledge about the Wii graphics: zero.
Actual knowledge about the PS1 graphics: a little.
Conclusion: You don't know much about console graphics thus your conclusion about graphics isn't valid.

:mrgreen:

I've tried your Wii...

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
On a scale of one to sense that made zero. :|

Do explain.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
It's funny cause Wiix2=WiiWii which ~ Penis.

Check my work.