Suggestion: item classes

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Would make the game too complicated and the code is already buggy enough, I know. But yet, listen:

We all know that the really interesting stuff is only avaible in hard-to-survive-and-battle-through-dungeons. Also, we all know that there are already some people who have some pieces of that stuff.

The issue: we all know that upon a boss' death, everyone gather round the chest and grabs everything of value. Combined with the fact that the dungeons I talk about are impossible to do alone, it is clear that the chances to get an interesting item are pretty low. And it's also frustrating to see people with multiple exemplars of an interesting item (spell, weapon, potion, whatever) and having exactly 0 exemplars of that.
I even must confess of having been such an asshole by myself and having 2 copies of a spell found after a boss fight (rebuke undead). At least, I gave it away 1/2 minutes after I got it.

Suggestion: introduce "normal" and "exceptinal" items. First are things that can also be bought, second are the really interesting stuff. AND the second ones are harder (or impossible) to be possessed multiple times.
And if everyone in the game has thins thing, it could still be pickupable normally.

I think, that would improve cooperation a little and reduce item whoring.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
You're thinking of a system everquest introduced. They were called lore items, and any given person could only have one of them. They had another tag called no drop, pretty obvious what it means, you can't drop it or sell it, it has to be destroyed if you want to get rid of it. That means the really rare, or really important items people could only have one of, and some coulden't even be traded.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Methinks there should be some items like that, it would stop people from whoring them - IE "i have 3 GIB's lozl"

Apostle weapons should DEFINATELY be no drop weapons, call em what you like - they're far too good for any nub to have...

3 types of protections should be put on higher up magic items.

1) No multiples (you can't attack with both anyways...)

2) No drop (weight problem negated by bank)

3) Can't wield till X level in X skill/attribute (no nubz with ubar weaponz lolz)

(Greater iceblade, of course, would be the last high-up weapon to not recieve these attributes - as it would/could cause issues and complaints)

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I like the idea of weapons/items/armor being tied to skill. Spells are already, why not the rest? Armor being tied to parry would solve the "omgz all t3h newb gots dark rmorz" problem. And it would give people more specific goals as to what to level and how far. Max you should tie about anything to aside form armor right now would be 25 anything higher and you hit the exp ramp that's pwning high 20's low 30's people in the face.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Last time I added a new no-drop item, it led to character corruption. :oldcry:

charcolishen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Such weapons should carry a major downside.
For example, death would lead to the loss of the item, if not picked up within the usual timelimit, it's returned to the chest or boss it formally came from.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why no-drop items? All I talked about was a mechanism to prevent people from whoring rare items while other people have exactly 0 exemplars.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, features that would be very nice to see include item rolling from chests, true player to player item trading, and the "Lore" / "No-drop" type tags.

..but they're also very tricky.

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't want to be unpolite, but it is a prett personal topic for me to have the issue I talked about corrected and I see it much more important, than undroppable items.

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hmm so looting... We could make last hit looting ? when player which killed that monster will be able to take items (fe. chest will be visible just to him ?) or whole his party ? anyways this wont prevent your problem :? but maybe party could be nice idea (If is somebody stealing items you wont let him in your party :) )

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Bad idea. Boss monsters take lots of time AND many players to kill and this won't apply to chests at all.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Why no-drop items? All I talked about was a mechanism to prevent people from whoring rare items while other people have exactly 0 exemplars.
Well, the rest of the suggestions seem to basically describe the way things already are.
Suggestion: introduce "normal" and "exceptinal" items. First are things that can also be bought, second are the really interesting stuff. AND the second ones are harder (or impossible) to be possessed multiple times.
And if everyone in the game has thins thing, it could still be pickupable normally.
I do not think people are carrying around as many duplicates of these rare items as you seem to think there are, judging by the character archive and the trading going on. It's actually neigh impossible, for instance, to carry multiple rune shields, as they don't go into any packs. (You'd have to always carry one in hand, and one on your back). The rarest items are not marketable, so there's no reason to haul extras around.

I dunno if I can figure a way to add a new element to the item systems for a "unique" flag, and then maybe have it respond to a duplicate unique item the same way it responds when an item is too heavy (ie. teleports to your feet).

I could make loose items go to the last character that struck the creature, but it'd be potentially problematic, and in the end, you have the same situation - ie. everyone is just trying to get in the final blow on the creature, instead of the first click on the chest. There's no dependable way to tally the player who did the most damage and send the item to him.

We do have *some* degree in treasure whore prevention, in that you can only take ONE item from a chest before it closes. So it turns into a game of whoever can click the fastest - or at least, that's how the pecking order goes. ;)

Most chests that require a lot of players to make appear, have a lot of crap in them. There's plenty of crap to go around in the MS_Snow and Foutpost chests. Calrian drops two to three items, which is about how many players he's designed to deal with, so I don't see an issue with him... Lord BS, Keledros, and Sir Geric, are the only places where this sort of thing could be applied.

I'd rig the mayor to only give the Gaxe to the player who started the quest (as I've seen that generate lots of vicious activity), but often said player is gone before it's over, and it eliminates the 'competition to kill zombies' aspect. (OT: Considering reducing the zombie req to 200 next month)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Could you also make the loreldian ore spawn more frequently? Because right now is damn rare :oldcry:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We've already got three people (that I know of) with unbreakable golden axes, and it's only the 9th of the month, so no, as obviously I didn't make it rare enough. ;)

It is, at least, a completely unspoilable secret though.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well how about, who ever takes out the most of the boss's health gets to the loot first?

with maybe 15 seconds untill its public loot

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Still strange. People with most valueable equipment do the most damage. So the interesting things are still hard to get (because you often need the interesting stuff to do most damage means you need the interesting stuff to get the interesting stuff).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Vomica7 said:
well how about, who ever takes out the most of the boss's health gets to the loot first?
Thothie_talks_to_much said:
There's no dependable way to tally the player who did the most damage and send the item to him.

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Vomica7 said:
Thothie_talks_to_much said:
There's no dependable way to tally the player who did the most damage and send the item to him.

doesnt each mob, have a some sort of counter for dmg dealt by each person for calculating exp?

wouldnt that work just fine?

and if your just adding dmg+dmg_type couldnt you just use something like:

struct PlayerDmg
{
Player *player
float TotalDmg
float SwordDmg
float AxeDmg
float FireDmg
float IceDmg
..etc..

or even using a arrays
float WeaponDmg[ MELEE_TYPES ]
float MagicDmg[ MAGIC_TYPES ]
}

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, as we've gone over in the XP discussions, there is an array just like this. However, as we've also gone over in the XP discussions, it is seriously fubar'ed. :(

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hmm so its not calculating the dmg correctly? (not adding proper amounts?)
or
are the exp calculations messed up?
or...
both?

ReBoot

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Giving loot by damage would most likely make it harder to get stuff, but talking about experience sounds interesting.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Drigien said:
hmm so its not calculating the dmg correctly? (not adding proper amounts?)
or
are the exp calculations messed up?
or...
both?

Meh, it seems so random, I'm not entirely sure, and these reports are confusing as well. Some of it seems to be the damage not calculating correctly - but it's not consistent - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Code is such a bloody mess, with so many old and new methods to do the same thing mashed together, with bits and peices of each surviving and still in use, it's all very hard to debug.

Picadilly

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
I don't know if this belongs in this thread but, here goes... It may be my imagination, but it seems as though boss chests drop more/better things when there are more than 4 players in the server. Am I mistaken or is this the case?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that the number of players in a server has no impact on the rewards from a chest, unless thothie has been sneaky about trying to improve cooperation between players...