Storage Suggestion

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've run into a few spots where Print() doesn't work (same as dbg) - some sections seem to have no access to the console or their output is redirected.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Alright, I'm free now, so I'll go back into the hell-code and see what I can do.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
(Double post ftw)

Well.. It's not what I thought was wrong. I figured it was one giant message of items being sent, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm wondering if maybe just the quick spam of each message is what does it, so I'm putting a small delay in (via a for loop, 'cause it's funny) and I'll see if that works...

...Unfortunately, even using a 5k character, I can't overflow on my listenserver with serverside chars. [stupidquestion]Are Reliables only on FN?[/stupidquestion]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, IIRC... When I originally built the LOAD_ERROR-RECONNECT character, I filled him up with feathers until he got the error on a listenserver. Media reduction in the game since then has re-enabled his ability to load. So it *should* be possible. The actual K limit seems to vary quite a bit, ye may need to go well beyond 5k depending on the map.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Open Archive -> Sort by size -> Find highest size (4.90 KB (5,026 bytes))

That's what I did, but to no avail ;-) Have a suggestion for a better map?

Oh, and I found out why your kick-the-player-with-a-no-clicky-name failed.. You spelled his name wrong :p "LOAD_FAILED-RECONNECT" rather than "LOAD_ERROR-RECONNECT"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*sigh* So bloody typical of me...

You've given yourself a way to spawn items yes? Just keep plopping on items until you overflow... Again, it varies wildly by the item, types, age of character, etc. If you go over 8k, then ye may want to give up.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I'm not Pimpsta - I don't do things like that ;-)

I'll just take the character to helena or something and BUY the items :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jeeze, even *I* gave myself a way to spawn items / monsters, etc. Granted I rigged it so I can't do it on FN, but I don't trust myself...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, but:

1. Don't really need fun items to test
2. I thought you made item names MORE encrypted
3. Too lazy
4. You already hate me for ONE thing I didn't do - Why would I go making cheat commands and get myself in MORE trouble, even if I didn't/couldn't use them on FN ;-)

EDIT: DEAR LORD. I've stuffed a big sack, cheated it to not count against item count, got another, put a few things in that, filled a weapon strap and heavy backpack.. It still f*cking loads >_<

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
As for the clicking.. Not sure how I would test that at all.. I've tried spamming my char with clicks, but it wouldn't load it incorrectly. I'm not sure if that's because of the "fixes" I made, but I doubt it since it was supposed to console spam me, too. Since the only way I could think of to fix it failed, I gave up.

been away for a small vacation before school so a bit late but....
wouldn't the best way to do it would to make it close the vgui panel on a click and have another 'Loading Character' screen appear, thus removing any chance of further clicking?

as for the overflow.. sounds like it could be tricky to track down. Perhaps it is sending/receiving more/less items then it should?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
That would be the best way, but it also requires tracking down a few things and creating a 'loading character' screen. I'm not too sure about some other factors that might cause someone to NEED to click a character twice (such as a breakdown in communication between server in client that stopped the server from receiving the message, or other things like that.)

Just the wording of "Reliable Channel Overflow" leads me to believe that the internet pipes are getting dumped on too quickly. I've put the for() delay, but I've yet to get an overflowing character. If I could get a volunteer, I know a method that would force me to overflow, but I also would need some free time from this story :p

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
If I create a 10 rat stack and cast a volcano below them, I overflow everytime, don't know if it helps :wink:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It doesn't :| I need an overflow when loading the character..

Edit: ...How about I just disable the item limit >_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
cheated it to not count against item count
D'oh - from that I thought you already did.

Search for ( TotalItems > MaxItems ) in dlls/Player/PlayerShared.cpp (452), comment out the "Success = false;" and origin shift that follows.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I just increased the maxitems to 500, instead. I'll go test it out in a bit - working on something else at the moment.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well... Since I'm home today, I'll just mention I've made modifications to GIAttack.cpp so that having a weapon you lack the skill for just halves the accuracy and damage, rather than prevents you from swinging it. (And edited the scripts to spam you with the unskilled message less often - still waiting on Evaan for the final requirement changes).

Since that seems to be working, I'm going to work on making monster hp/attack adjustable from the entity next, that will involve changes to MSMonsterserver.cpp.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Erg.. This is why I can't work on the code for very long..

When I try to use my ms.dll, it has all my characters as "Create New" (and oddly enough, the 3rd slot is greyed out). When I replaced my .dlls with the original, I can no longer create a working listen server (Create server -> Chars appear -> Click -> No more server).

Thothie, go to void CGenericItem::Container_SendItem( CGenericItem *pItem, bool fAddItem )

and add:

Code:
for( int x = 0; x < 1000; x++ );
Print("Allowing item %s to pass now",pItem->m_Name);

right after
Code:
{
#ifdef VALVE_DLL
	if( !m_pPlayer ) 
		return;

You can mess around with the actual delay depending on how long it takes you to spawn - not sure if it will even help. All it's really going to do is slow down load time and hopefully give the client's interpipes enough of a break to not freak out.

Oh, and I looked at my attempted overflow char - 7kb =|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh wow h4x. Meh, I'll try it. You still have a backup of the code archive to restore from I hope. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I do, but between staring reloading .dlls over and over again unitl they work and doing other projects, I choose the other projects ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I added it... And although I'm still fiddling with the hp/dmg multipliers, I can tell ye that it at least didn't cause any load issues. I dun think a hacky wait delay like that's gonna work though - but meh, anything's worth a shot.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, even if it's not a (permanent) solution, it can still help diagnose what's actually going wrong. If it fixes the problem, it means that the pipes are getting clogged. If not.. [1]? >_>

If it doesn't work the first time, you may want to take out the Print() message, as that uses messages, doesn't it?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It seems to be functioning, although the print messages do not appear.

edit: Nvm - they don't appear in console, but the amx debugger plugin caught them.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Do you have Developer on? And by working do you mean not killing you or not crashing you with Reliable? :p

And does it increase the spawn time a bunch?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes dev is on. :p - No noticable lag time on load. Not had the chance to test with a overflowed character yet.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Just making sure you didn't pull a Thothie mistake ;-)

*Sigh* If only there was a DEPENDABLE debug method that didn't involve a log file ;-)