Storage Suggestion

Picadilly

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of players overflow on my server. Seems that some people begin overflowing at even 61 items. I know that, personally, I had been overflowing at 64 and had to drop things. The banking system is a cool idea and does what it's supposed to by reducing your character's encumbrance. It doesn't seem to help out in the case of overflows, however.
Has any thought been given to the idea of making storage chests? Perhaps a number of chests could be put into simple "bank map". A chest could be bought from an NPC for an exorbitant amount and a personal key could be given to the player. Whenever the map is loaded, perhaps the chests could grab the info from FN and contain your items. Currently, I know that you can directly "take" things from chests and that things can be "given" to you by NPC's. Not sure if it's possible to work the other way around.
Another simpler idea has to do with the actual organization of the receipts you receive from the bankers. They seem to litter things up quite a bit and I'm wondering if it's possible to make a "receipt book" similar to the spell book that could help organize receipts and keep them separate.

Dark_Force9999

New Adventurer
Reaction score
it's already possible to do that but easier, buy 2 heavy bag, stuff 1 of the bag and stuff the bag into the other bag.

trust me, i have 2 heavy bags in my heavy bag. it reduces item count and weight dramatically.

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't see how that would reduce item count and weight. You've still got all of the items on you, so it really shouldn't change.

I don't have a problem carrying items. I've got a Heavy Backpack, a Big Sack, and like 5 Small Sacks. The only time I ever run out of room is when I clear out mscaves by myself.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
this isn't an item carrying problem...its a problem involving character files becoming too large and causing an overflow (booting the player from the server)

Tull

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I thought Thothie fixed the bag in a bag thing, but perhaps he missed one. Anyway, that method will only remove the 75 items limit and make sure you crash even more since the char file then can grow even larger.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...also good way to make the bag suddenly go empty or vanish, due to the only thing that allows that is a bug.

There's more than one sort of overflow. If they can connect after the overflow and keep playing, it's not an item limit issue.

Character size overflow stops you from being able to load your character.

There's no way to store items anywhere but on the character, at the moment, so having a chest somewhere else doesn't help. Its contents would still be saved on the character.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
...also good way to make the bag suddenly go empty or vanish, due to the only thing that allows that is a bug.

There's more than one sort of overflow. If they can connect after the overflow and keep playing, it's not an item limit issue.

Character size overflow stops you from being able to load your character.

There's no way to store items anywhere but on the character, at the moment, so having a chest somewhere else doesn't help. Its contents would still be saved on the character.

is it possible to make a system that would make a new save file for the players bank, and the bank save file would only be loaded when the player opens up the bank?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If we had a real HL1 coder, maybe. Even then I suspect the bank file would be limited to 4k. But I wouldn't be able to figure out how to do that myself, thus far.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i suggested coding a banking system incorperated with [FN] idk if it would be possible though... or how much work it would take.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thothie_mastah_of_redundancy said:
If we had a real HL1 coder, maybe. Even then I suspect the bank file would be limited to 4k. But I wouldn't be able to figure out how to do that myself, thus far.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think if we had a real HL1 coder we wouldn't even have a 4k file size limit ;-)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
would the 4k file size limit even matter in banks? No.

two words: Bank Pages (different load for different page)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Squirrel - Again, that would be a long process, lots of files, and would require someone who knows what they're doing with HL1.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
It would require saving to a bank file for each player, similar to the character file.. just a new one so that it wouldn't be constricted by the player file limits. However, the new file would also need to be encrypted and thus would still be restricted by the 4k limit.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Shuri - I'm not sure if the encryption process is what gives the reliable channel overflow. I have a theory about it, but I've been too lazy to go test it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, bank would most likely still have a 4k limit (just, hopefully, in addition to the player's.)

It's the file data getting from the server to the client seems to be the issue. HL doesn't seem to like messges over 4k.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Which is why we should try splitting up the messages, but as I said, haven't gotten around to trying that >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, not much time left.

I haven't gotten squat done. I've been home all of 5 days this month, and I've just got my Steam back on-line. I'm not going to be home long enough today to do anything with it though.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't be able to get it out by this patch even if I got to work right now, especially since it would most likely REQUIRE fixing the multi-click == bad load glitch.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Feh, got enough time to look at it at least, maybe simpler than ya think. That multi-click bit, at least, should be fairly simple.

If ya have more than one puter in the house that can handle Steam, and can link them together or through the net, I can give ye another Steam account for testing.

Patch release this month is going to be insanely minor. Even then, the stuff I gotta do is all related to new map releases. I suspect the only other changes are going to be level cap oriented from Evaan. I'm going to try to looking into changing how the level cap works hard code side too. Other than that, I don't think end users are going to see much of anything besides new maps. Maybe a new mapper toy or two. If I'm lucky I'll get to editing some of the old vanillla maps with extra hpreq monsters, and adding wolves to Thornlands. (Doesn't help that I wasted so much time writing up monster and item script divers, but I suppose that needed to be done.)

Meh, Lady X and both have relatives dieing left and right... Has me babysitting old folk and driving all over the state pretty much 24/7. Turns out I'm not going to be home today as long as I thought either. *sigh*

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
If I need to test I can invade Squirrel's house, but I don't see why I would need 2 computers to test it, really :p (Other than just being easier than restarting the server)

As for the clicking.. Not sure how I would test that at all.. I've tried spamming my char with clicks, but it wouldn't load it incorrectly. I'm not sure if that's because of the "fixes" I made, but I doubt it since it was supposed to console spam me, too. Since the only way I could think of to fix it failed, I gave up. I may go back in and try to fix that if I can fix the 4k thing, but I dunno. 4k is the main priority ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ye find you are in an area of the code that doesn't give you console messages (as ALERT doesn't respond from many areas of code) - use logfile << "message" and the output will show up in log_msdll.txt ( or log_cldll.txt if client side ). I've yet to find an area in the code where that doesn't record (that's actually processed).

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I usually use Print() - do ya know if that works? And it may just be that it never activated the else{} part of the statement, anyway.