Spiderblade+Wolves bane buff.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
The spiderblade and wolves bane should be changed to be more in line with the new spideraxe. The spideraxe applies an extra strong 75% damage reducing defile DoT, so why not apply this(replacing the fire DoT of course) to its weaker longsword counterpart as well as the wolves bane since it is also a weapon intended to be more effective versus one type of enemy. it'd be appropriate for the spiderblade and wolves bane's defile to be weaker since they are lower level weapons, maybe only 50 or 25% percent. Shadow wolves are immune to fire anyways so the current fire DoT is useless versus them anyways. It'd also be cool if when blocking with the spiderblade, it would web attackers like the axe projectile.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bit strong, as it'd be useful against critters of any level. "<mob type> Defiler" would be a good weapon mod though - already have "<mob type> Bane", which just multiplies the damage against type <mob type> "Orc Bane, Spider Bane, etc.". Meantime, could maybe switch it to shadow flames, to bypass resistances for the same damage.

With all the available monster modifications, reliably detecting the mob type is a bit sketchy though, as GreatGuys ran into recently. Though I did manage to implement $get(<target>,model) server side, so that might help.

Only the gods know what would happen if we introduced a Giant Wolf Spider.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, as long as it isn't fire DoT I think it'd be better as there are /so/ many firey weapons. Shadowflames on the spiderblade/wolvesbane could give another way to level affliction earlier on.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Might aswell buff other useless (and rarelly obtained) items such as:

-elemental arrows (buff the usefulness for all levels through level scaling on archery and spell casting, some arrows are rare and nobody uses them for being too weak, could throw in some special effects on these things for reaching milestones like every 10 levels in a SC subskill, the elemental impact gets better);

-thornbow upgrade for higher levels, some upgrade to the thornbow to make it worth using with the buffed elemental arrows, or perhaps a new bow that shoots arrows (we could really use one of these, the last bow we got that shoots arrows was the frost bow, and it shoots magical frost arrows);

-morning stars, including the fire one (something like a bleed-type of damage that cripples the enemy temporarly and deals some damage, cripple reduces incoming damage from target by a little and also increases damage dealt to the target by a little);

-add an effect to some of the non elemental weapons, like the bleed-type i just suggested, since all non elemental weapons are usually useless, unless it has some special properties like magic or armor piercing (ethereal);

-khaz fireblade, could use some extra variants of these, could also use a buff to make them relevant and worth obtaining/using at their proper levels;

-crescent blades, could use a change and a buff, like right click to switch from meele (slower attack rate, higher damage) to range stance (higher fire rate, lower damage), so players change between one option of the other, of course a mandatory buff is also recommended since they are useless right now;

-great axe, despite not being a rare item, it is one of those items people get early and drop early because its a pain in the ass to play with. My suggestion is to convert a great axe into a dark great axe (mid tier upgrade) somehow;

-blood axe, once a great rare weapon, nowadays it feels like the great axe to some extent, with some more usefulness at the end of the day since it doesn't miss as often and can heal back;

-greater thunder axe and the thunder axe, greater thunder axe doesn't really need that big of a buff, at lower levels its a pain in the ass to use it but when you reach the level cap, it becomes addictive to use, despite being and old weapon. It works good at higher levels, it's not the greatest thing out there but it does good, so some early love to early adopters of this item. Thunder axe, it feels like.... useless by the time you get your hands on one. Unlike the envenomed battleaxe which is decent at lower levels and accessible;

-tomahawks could use some love too, like an upgrade to make them "superior" and a considerable option for mid-high tier players;

-skullblades could use a rework, perhaps give them a passive that lowers incoming damage from undead by a little and nerf down the stamina drain;

-bone blade, it's useless and somewhat rare. If a player decides to compare bone blade to another tier 15 dagger or knife, then the bone blade is screwed;

-dark maul and granite maul, give them a purpose, dark maul has fire dot but it's no big deal, both are massive stamina drains when used.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Some of those are doable, some of those are better introduced with a new weapon or weapon mod - MSC weapons aren't meant to be good at all levels forever. Reducing Stamina usage on the lower end weapons in general is something to think about. Crescent blades should have a new interesting feature that wasn't previously possible, come next patch.

I just noticed the Wolfsbane doesn't seem to do fire damage, just double damage to wolves... Dunno if that's a change so old I just can't recall... No, last modified in 2013... So, meh, switched the Spiderblade to Shadowflames in anycase (also made spider detection a bit more reliable).

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yeah i know weapons aren't meant to be good forever, but that doesn't stop them from being usefull one way or another, it all depends on what they can do to help us and what kind of abilities they have, magical weapons with unique stuff applied to them have a tendency to be usefull at any level, even if they do crap damage. Weapons are tools at the end of the day, they remain usefull untill they aren't effective for the task at hand or have a better version to obtain (which doesn't apply to all weapons in this game).

Balance wise, most of the things i wrote down asking for a buff are mostly related to stamina issues and awfull hit rate at their recommended level. Which makes little sense and kinda forces people not want to stick around with such items on their hands for too long.

I remember clearly when i first got a perfect skullblade, a granite maul/dark maul and great axe, all of these weapons gave a bad impression so i ended up switching all of them up with replacements such as: ice blade, granite/calruins mace and envenomed baxe. I think i kept the dark maul for a little while longer because of the fire dot it applies, usefull against undead at the cost of massive stamina drain.

Just noticed my other post has some grammar issues, ah well. This happens when you write a wall of text half asleep. :oops:

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Cool stuff. I agree with decreasing stamina usage on the older low level weapons, seems really backwards how swinging the tiny dark maul takes so much stamina when swinging a massive breaker takes about the same as swinging a knife.

Could've sword wolvesbane did fire dot to wovlves, no big deal though. Thanks for the shadow dot on the spiderblade.