[REQ] Models we need

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Re: [WIP]/[REQ] Models we need

Would be nice if he lacked some skin in his face, and you can see the ribs, giving the feeling that he uses a chestplate

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Belmont said:
I tried most of that and failed quite badly, I must get my hands on photoshop again and re-learn it or I'm stuck doing simple stuff like this >_<.

I hope another skinner like Sabre (hint hint) wants to help with this.

I was gonna do it anyways, send meh what you've done insofar.

@Thothie: Either I missed it or I'm thick, but you need what worldmodels for the dwarven broadsword? Might as well finish that up and send it your way, even if the model limit is screaming at us.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Need a viewmodel and a set for p_weapons - send away, preferably along with your bloody sword. ;) (Also your fire axe, if you have it ready)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Need a viewmodel and a set for p_weapons - send away, preferably along with your bloody sword. ;) (Also your fire axe, if you have it ready)

I'll start making p_weapons smds for all of 'em, and I'll have the axe and broadsword for you for the B patch >_> O_O <_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Well, the B patch is optional serverside thingie, so I can't add new weapons anyways... I shoulda had it ready yesterday... If I'm lucky I'll have it today, but I plan to be flying all over the state today, so it seems.

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

Sabre, I sent it to you yesterday, not sure if you got it.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Belmont said:
Sabre, I sent it to you yesterday, not sure if you got it.
I did get it, and I shall be looking at it :D

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Just in case someone else is working on it, im adding animations to the eagle model (not the hawk, the good looking one) and im 90% toward finishing them all (1 left)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Regarding:
Thothie said:
• Some player-model based monsters need weapons
- It'd be handy if someone would give me info on how to do this so I could expariment and see what works best
- There've been some requests to arm Maldora (who's a player-model mon) - but I've not figured with what yet

Isn't this as simple as adding another bone and assigning weapons to it?

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

not even the need to add an additional bone.

EDIT: eagle already finished and sent to Thothie

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Dwarven Broadsword, sent to Thothie.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

What is more likely to happen? consolidated rview weapons working or a way to nullify the model limit?

I still dont get why the game allows any amount of map, but restricts the number of models

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

From what I've been told, it's something to do with the precaching(The game loads all the models at once, or something).

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

I believe that Shuri is (succesfully) work on model consolidation.

And I think that's what goes on, Sabre.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

What worries me is that while that rview consolidation help alot, some day we will end up with a full media limit once again.

Does MSC use LOD?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thanks Sabre for the sword. (Been waiting on that one for ages.)

LOD? I dun think the HL1 engine does that…

The 512 model file limit is, sadly, hard-coded into the engine, I don’t think we can get around it.

I’ve not gotten the code for consolidating the viewmodels yet… But that should put us in the green zone for a good long time. We’d have to lay the law down and say any future models have to conform to the current viewmodels (and thus be consolidatable). It is true, we can only consolidate so many models into one pack, due to what seems to be a texture limit, so in the end we would also have to get picky about what we allowed to add. We’d have to keep in mind that we have to keep model slots available for the apostle weapons as well.

Mappers will have to keep in mind that they need to keep brush models and sprites to a minimum as well, of course. There’s a few maps we could optimize in that department that we’ve sources for (Thornlands/NM for instance).

Technically, we could add more summons if they matched the bones and/or had compatible anims with the Skeletons or Rats.

Where I see us getting into trouble is if/when we start adding new races, then we might have to think of something. Item sprites, it seems, load dynamically, so it maybe possible to make things work along those lines. Another thing that’d help us consolidate more models, is figure why complex submodel sets do not pass correctly between clients. That’d allow us to merge armor, crests, helms, and other wearables, and resolve some display bugs we have. But really, just getting the viewmodels consolidated, insomuch as we can, should have us sitting pretty for quite some time.

Considering taking an extended vacation from this mod after we get that setup in anycase, especially if Blasto can set us up with a SVN server everyone can use proper, so I don't have to integrate code.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Sabre? First person to break the MS:C color barrier XD

gatecity0002.gif

@Orochi: Did this one today, so yeah.

As for practical use, I'm thinkin' ambassador from Dreadwind or Valen? This one's got some bling, as you can see.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score

Gah.. Those pants D:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

FER said:
Thothie said:
512 model file limit

Do we have that much models?
No, or the game wouldn't load. ;)

Problem is that each brush-model on the map counts as a model file, as does each sprite. env_model probably does as well, but I've not verified it (they may post-load, but they do at least eat edicts).

Once you load Thornlands into memory (fairly certain this is our biggest offender in this department), we've all but 23 such media slots taken. Mind you, any free slots are used for edicts, so the fewer there are remaining, the more likely you are to have a no free edict crash.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Thothie said:
FER said:
Thothie said:
512 model file limit

Do we have that much models?
No, or the game wouldn't load. ;)

Problem is that each brush-model on the map counts as a model file, as does each sprite. env_model probably does as well, but I've not verified it (they may post-load, but they do at least eat edicts).

Once you load Thornlands into memory (fairly certain this is our biggest offender in this department), we've all but 23 such media slots taken. Mind you, any free slots are used for edicts, so the fewer there are remaining, the more likely you are to have a no free edict crash.

So where do sprites fit into this?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

mastah_of_redundancy said:
Problem is that each brush-model on the map counts as a model file, as does each sprite.

Right after "each brush-model on the map counts as a model file"?

Sprites and models loaded before the map count too, of course (ie. all spells fx, all weapons, items, etc.). We’ve done our best to recycle/reuse/consolidate as many of those sprites as possible. Sounds, although they need to be precached, thankfully do not seem to count against the limit.

Inventory sprites apparently do not count either, as they are loaded when the chest or store is opened. I do not think they are loaded through the standard sprite system – but rather through a special MSC image loading routine. Sadly, we verified this only after forcing massive headaches on Shurik3n, as he valiantly worked out a way to consolidate the buggers – but it maybe saving resources in some other way, so I think we’re just going to leave that in.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Heh...Should've read a little more closely :oops:
No props for the dwarf? xD