jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Anybody else getting results from this tool? It took me probably 2 nights to work out how to start feeling like I'm mapping and not just stumbling around.
wip2.png

-I did notice that light seems to leak through corners which are 'pixel touching' overlapping my corners seemed to fix it.
-Windows are sort of janky, seems like you should really keep things simple.
-Is anyone getting the 'subtract' mode to work? I can't seem to use it correctly o_O

-The tool deletes faces that it thinks the player would never see. Ex. Two copies of a square are touching, the tool deletes the shared face where the squares touch. Sometimes this is inconvenient for me, I can't figure out how to get certain faces back! And they are not just excluded, I can't even select them.

-Does anybody edit in a 2D view? I've been using 3D perspective and I'm feeling like it limits me.

Share some tips if you have them! While you're at it, share some stuff you have made too!
And don't be afraid to edit on the go or on your slow work laptop! I'm running basic unity and sabrecsg on laptop integrated graphics without any trouble.

Last edited:

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
The main tip I've found is that you want to create a new CSG for each new "object," you don't want to build an entire house with a single CSG, because of the way they handle "rebuilding."

It seems like the best workflow is to use ProBuilder/ProGrids for basic brush work, like Hammer, then use SabreCSG for more intricate work; something that would end up being a prefab or a visgroup in Hammer.

Frankly, I'm still learning these tools too. It will be good to have experienced level designers come in and tear them apart. In the case of SabreCSG, I'll try to take feedback into consideration with my fork. I'll post a link when I'm done updating it.

To install ProBuilder/ProGrids, you want to use the Package Manager (Window->Package Manager). You also need to enable "Show preview packages" under the Advanced dropdown in the Package Manager to see ProGrids, as it's still in preview for some reason.

Last edited:

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
You were right about Probuilder, IMO it's easier to use and more productive. Sabre might be better at applying materials, still deciding on that one. Either way here's a cottage! Going to keep playing with these tools :D

Attachments

• wip3.png
    wip3.png
    944.1 KB · Views: 20
  • wip4.png
    wip4.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 21

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
We're going to be working on an equivalent to the Texture Application Tool for Hammer, so hopefully we won't be relying on these other tools for material application and manipulation.

That looks great man! Are you willing to work on a variety of different template buildings we can use in maps?

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I can keep trying!
The first is a blacksmith or shopkeeper's business and home.
The second is meant to be mounted in a more urban area, looking sleek with those free textures, and with a lot of props it would be a tavern with some rooms upstairs.

Attachments

• wipcollage1.png
    wipcollage1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • wip8.png
    wip8.png
    601 KB · Views: 17
  • wip9.png
    wip9.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Please. Please join the team. These are great!

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Thank you, but I really can't say I can commit to something like that. I can say get me running around these levels though! Hahah :cool:

*Don't misunderstand me, I'm friendly and want to collaborate though.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Fair enough. And I completely understand. Well, you're getting some good work done, and we would be very appreciative if we could use your buildings. ;)

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Just bumpin shamelessly:
The wall is all explorable and I'm going for lots of pathways through the environment. I want to add a basement to the tavern, and of course develop a sewer/tunnel system to explore and connect our subterranean levels. River through the town, so a water wheel is next up on my plate!

Attachments

• wip19.jpg
    wip19.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 26

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
I love the verticality! Second stories (or battlements) that open up to catwalks around the outside or allow you to transition to other buildings, lots of flavor there.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
The Unity engine, powering Master Sword: United

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Probuilder has many powerful features, and though I edit in 3D you can change how the Unity editor displays your work (multiple 2D views, mixed 3D isometric, etc) It really is a great tool, I would recommend checking out a youtube video or two to see some general features.

Just to be clear, though the thread is named SabreCSG, I stopped using that early on, and at the moment exclusively use ProBuilder + ProGrids to accomplish what I've been doing. It will make meshes for you and generate UV's, lightmap data, everything. You can then export these as .obj + other formats, and continue editing them in other tool suites too.

ShadowGrrl

New Adventurer
Reaction score
-Is anyone getting the 'subtract' mode to work? I can't seem to use it correctly o_O
I've never been able to get subtract to work properly without it crashing Unity. After several years, this is still apparently 'in development' and still experimental only.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
'Nother bump. I figured out lotsa stuff; lighting, splatmaps, and a little bit of how the engine tries to batch meshes. Also expanded the town and undergrounds.

The only asset not original to the project is that temporary grass sprite! Static models are most needed.

Attachments

• wipcollage4.jpg
    wipcollage4.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 22