Pirate, Yar

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Heres a render of what I think I want his sword to look like. It's only 126 tris, so I have plenty of room for more detail.

sabreey2.jpg

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
[FSM]The Owneded said:
Heres a render of what I think I want his sword to look like. It's only 126 tris, so I have plenty of room for more detail.

sabreey2.jpg

That's a nice basic cutlass, that could shine with the proper skinning.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Apply a checkerd material to the mesh as you unwrap, and make sure the checkerd materials squares, appear square on the model as much as possible. Then once all the different parts are unwrapped, then lay them out, giving the most space to the areas that will recieve most detail.

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well I had figured that much out :?. Thanks though lol. I've been looking into some tutorials on UV mapping. Poopinmymouth uses a different program than max for it even. I guess I'll do my best with max

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks that did help me a lot. Where can I get that plugin that he was using that had like the align and rotate tools?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
for rotate, just make sure you have angle snap on (in the main window) (Middle left magnet button)

That limits all rotations to 5 degrees, so its easy to turn stuff 90%

As for aligning, use the U V and W boxes at the bottom left of the UnwrapUVW Edit box. I use the up and down arrows, and get them to where I want.

That plugin he has, is Really shit, Ive used it for a bit, and it will confused the shit out of you, it was made for max 4, and with 8 and 9 now most commonly used, theres nothing that thing can do that you can't do yourself :)

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Heres what I have so far with the cutlass. It's not exactly what I wanted but it looks alright.
sabrece5.jpg

edit:
and heres a picture of my guy "holding" it
lolholdsi6.jpg

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
One eye is lower than the other Oo

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sabre said:
One eye is lower than the other Oo

well im sure there are things about yourself youre not too proud of either.

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Theres a lot of things that are fudged up with this model... please don't look at his side view o_O. But these are all things I'll do better next time lol. Actually, both eyes are at the same level, they're just different sizes lol.

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, so he's rigged. Shoulders are a bit crappy. I wish I would've taken Gaz's advice and fixed them before it was too late, but I really didn't know what I was doing back then. Shomehow I managed to make his hands upside down too... sorta!

Everyone has a little captain in them....
morgantx7.jpg

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't suppose you have any sets of biped animations that I can simply paste onto this character? It'd make my life a lot easier.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't use bipeds, they are a bit sucky

Well, I do use bipeds, kinda, just not Character studios ones

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Youtube? Just for accessability etc

Or if you just want to host files, give me an email, I can get you some webspace

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ya, I considered using youtube, maybe I'll use it iif I host vids again. I'm going to sleep. Making the run anim is harder than I thought; I'm gonna have to read up about this..With any luck I'll finish this model for compiling tomorrow.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I think you should make him with fists, that way it looks a little more natural, and then giving him a weapon will look cleaner...Captain Morgan ftw :D

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Don't worry, his fingers are operational and used in my real animations. Thus far I have walk 1, walk 2, stab, slash, stand 1, stand 2, and parry.

edit: the thumb is actually really bad. it looks like he has fingers with no thumb. Something went terribly wrong there, but no one will notice.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Heh, since fingers work, are you going to have him flipping people off? :p