Pirate, Yar

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
can you rig it to some already animated skeleton?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
would be best to rig it to the rogue or something then using the same animations<<

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Nah, I want this to be completely original. The rogue anims aren't that great. Besides, I need the practice animating.

edit: maybe I should've gone into this with more concept art than this.

conceptbb8.png

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
add 2 3 subdivisions at the bottom of that coat, and the same amount of bones so that you can animate it nicely (you would animate the legs first, then do the coat over the top)

Saying that, you'd need 2 cuts over each leg, and seperate 3 bone sections for each "over leg" pieces

Longer coat looks better :)

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think I get you. So could I use a biped for all animation excluding the bottom of the coat and have a few separate bones controlling the coat? This is gonna get complicated :oldshock:. I guess I'll see when I get there, but I'm gonna finish the skin for now. it would've been so much easier just to use the short jacket, you all suck

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
pull the boots up a tad too, see how that looks.

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'll work on him more tomorrow. I'll refine my concept so I have a better idea of how I want him to look before I make any more changes. Right now, if I moved his boots up he'd look like he was preparing for a rain storm. Best not forget your extreme weather gear when sailing the seven seas!

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I think its a good start :) Keep adding high and low lights to get even more definition. Also, the face its a multitude of colours, theres a slight blue around peoples eyes (very tiny, try a blue on its own layer, set to softlight, with opacity of 5-10) Same with the cheeks, a little more red.

Keep it up!

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm not nearly done, I just wanted to get his features outlined. I'll be tweaking it until it looks good. I didn't really know there was a slight blue around people's eyes. But as you can see, I havn't done anything with colors besides the base skin color. Btw gaz, you're too nice

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And at long last, the mostly completed face. I'll give him a beard and maybe make some slight adjustments, but this is how it looks.

Close up face:
faceyo5.jpg

zoomed out:
newlookmb1.jpg
[/url]

and just for the fun of it, the texture. 512x512, is that size ok?
newmapcopyps3.jpg

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I think it needs more work, you can push the highlights and low lights much harder. The lips arn't the right shape. And his eyes look incorrect. Take a look at the tutorial for eyes on poopinmymouth.com, just ignore the mesh part.

You'll want to add facial hair too, even if just stubble

Check these:

heads_flats.jpg

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Don't worry, just remember, that anything you have to redo, you will do better anyway :)

You only learn by making mistakes

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well it's been fun, and I've learned a lot from modeling and skinning this guy, but I think it's about time to wrap it up. Heres what I hope will be his final look. I'll start animating him soon too.

Face:
facefinallo3.jpg

Front:
bodyfinalko0.jpg

Back:
bodybackfinallb2.jpg

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Not al pirates have eye patches, lol. I'm planning on making about 3 pirates, and this pirate has to be up to the best of his abilities! How can he shoot a flintlock pistol at you with no depth perception?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think they should just use a heavy crossbow