New armour Set

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gaz said:
Thothie, I can get both added to the helm set tonight, though with the original I might change it somewhat still, make the texture slightly different.

Glad you like it guys, hopefully you can wear it soon :D

Whatever happened to that?

...damned WIP model curse.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
what happened to mine?

i dont even know

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:

Whoops!

Sorry, been busy as hell, just poke me repeatedly till I hand over the goods next time :oops:

Check your PM, theres an additional present for you also (to say sorry) :)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Gaz said:
Thothie said:

Whoops!

Sorry, been busy as hell, just poke me repeatedly till I hand over the goods next time :oops:

Check your PM, theres an additional present for you also (to say sorry) :)

um hey gaz speaking of busy (sorry for off topic ahead of time) was wondering if you guys have done anything on quest lately?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
yeah, got a new player model and an enemy in, mostly waiting on some code the be completed (as usual!) but hey, its had some progression ;)

Its on the source engine now too :)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Gaz said:
yeah, got a new player model and an enemy in, mostly waiting on some code the be completed (as usual!) but hey, its had some progression ;)

Its on the source engine now too :)

awsome is ne of it going to be put on the front of the webpage?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, soon enough :) we want to move away from PHL as its now 100% crappy, with adds popping up all over the shop. We've got a new domain, just waiting on some server stuff :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
gaz_vs_wip_curse2.gifgaz_vs_wip_curse.jpg

Congrats to Gaz, for being the first person to beat the MSC WIP curse, evah.

...now, what to actually make this thing do...

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Looks good on him :D only ever seen it on just the head myself :D

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
aw. mine was going to be fire resistance... dont know if orochi is still going to go through with my armor, we got in a little guff and he said he wasnt. then we get better and now i dont know.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Perhaps we can finally have some armor that is:
A) Hard to find/obtain (hidden place combined with powerful'ish boss)
and...
B) Worth Something :)

Meaning, perhaps it can give like 50 stun resistance & decent fire/ice resistance? :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
how about making something uber evil thothie...

make a boss critter that randomly fires one of 4 events when it dies...then stick it somewhere difficult...once one of these events is fired, at random, might not even fire one at all...aside from the normal prize, you get to look around the map for a secret area which is not normally openable, once you find it - you go in and maybe...solve a riddle, or pay a different rare item from somewhere else, or some such, to get the helmet....and i say 4 events because that way you dont get people that know exactly where the only one is, and just take thier friends there, it'd take them a while to find and check all four, especially when only one (if any) will fire each time they play through the map...

and since its that difficult, howbout a nice effect from it...give it the same stats as the gold helmet, with weight slightly less than the dark helm (since the overflow bug will be mostly fixed), but give it an additive effect, better yet, make multiple of them - same media files though - with a seperate effect for each, one could have the rune shield effect, one strikes an opponent with lighting for 10% of the damage they inflicted on you with each time they hit you (doesn't need to give you exp), a fire one that sets any critter you get close to on fire...perhaps...and all of these effects damages could depend on your magical ability in that subskill maybe ;)

SUMMARY FOR NUBS WHO DUN WANNA READ

How to get - new or revised map in which boss monster may or may not trigger one of 4 map events that enable you to then seek out the helmets location, upon providing a second rare item, you will be given the helmet.

Wutz it do??? - the helmet i propose would have the stats of the gold helm, with a weight comparable to the dark helm. it would also have an elemental charge.

Element...charge? - the elemental charge would be high, and recharge on map change (unless this can be changed, then you should have to pay an NPC, probably in deralia, to charge it back up). each element would have a different effect, proposed elements include lightning, fire, holy, and ice.

Lightning effect - Whenever you are stricken by an enemy, [.5 per level of lightning magic]% of the enemy's ORIGINAL damage value (not damage you take, damage it would inflict if you had no armor at all) is dealt to the monster via an electrical shock.

Fire effect - Any monster that gets too close to you is set aflame, the burn damage applied is .7 / level of fire magic. burning danage will occur once every second. burning damage will stop after the monster has been out of your range for 4 seconds. friendly critters are unaffected by this [IE commoners].

Holy effect - Undead crumble before you, holy "pulses" are sent out every 10 seconds while you are attacking, any unholy or undead monsters in the affected area take severe damage (5 damage per level of divination, up to 250 damage per monster per pulse) and run from you. pulses will only activate if you are taking damage.

Ice effect - Attacking monsters have a chance of getting hit by multiple ice effects. 20% chance of slowing an attacking monster. 10% chance of dealing cold damage equal to your ice magic level when attacked by a monster. 5% chance of freezing attacking monster in an ice prison. 1% Chance of sending a "cold burst" out upon being attacked, monsters within 3 feet are frozen in ice prisons and hit with cold damage, monsters within 10 feet are slowed and hit with cold damage, monsters within 15 feet are slowed.

some effects may need slight balancing, but most should be good.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
That's a well thought out idea Foamy; but I doubt that'll ever happen :)

That is just about as bad as putting the old DEV Weapons & Armors back in!! Virtual immortality to the user, do we really want that again!? Only way you could die back in the ol'MS1.0 days was if you fell & died from fall damage (and that would make you an uber noob, if you did). So I am cut short as to what I should say about your suggestion... even if I would LOVE it's being added; it would unbalance a lot of things....

Once one person obtains it, he can obtain five more with an extremity of easiness...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
as i said, some of those things might need rebalancing, and it should be very difficult to get...

those effects should also (preferably) have a limited use before needing recharged...and recharging could take a special item, along with a bunch of money...if recharging is possible, anyways...

the lightning effects weakness could lie in ranged monsters, perhaps it only effects monsters that are meleeing you.

fire could be weakened slightly, but as it is...at level 20 it would do 14 damage per second do monsters near you, meaning it would kill low level critters instantly, making it so you dont have to seek them out and fight them any more...but to the monsters you should be fighting, that will be giving decent experiance, it is merely a little extra damage, also note that since fire effects do not stack, it actually weakens your fire spells (technically)

holy is probably the one that most people would consider "useless" as it is only of any use on undead, which is why it does such massive damage...

and as for the ice effect, those chances are probably a bit high and need to be lowered to something like 7% 2% .25%

and of course, the obvious weaknesses...

- any ranged monster wont be effected by it unless you're already close to it
- monsters with an elemental resistance to your particular helmet will render its special abilities useless
- difficulty to obtain
- limited charges OR make the effects feed on your mana

also note that they dont help when all the monsters AI dies (except for fire) as i made sure to mention you had to be under attack ;)

Edit: also, lightning might be able to effect ranged critters, since it is pretty weak...if a reaver hit you full force, and you had 20 lightning, it would take 10 damage...thats NOTHING to a reaver

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... you code in the proper stuff to add it in, then submit it to Thothie :D

I feel that if Thothie himself is side-tracked by this type of operation; it'll hamper progress to fixing certain errors (i.e.-too many items murdering El'Grande chars) :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Everything in Foamy's list I see as high potential... If it were a weapon.

I'd like to keep armor attributes defensive, tis more intuitive. Closest thing to offensive I might be willing to do is make it a "cursed berzerker" helmet - make you get a red screen fade, boost of speed, do mass damage, and slowly drain off your hp. Even that, I find a bit overkill.

Elemental resistance helms of various types seems more likely (and certainly easy to do). This helm actually already comes in a blue-scheme version - I was thinking of seeing if I could work out water breathing for it (albiet, not much use atm, but mayhaps in the future), I'd stack on the DH attributes with that (+/- some). Attribute enhancing is another idea, but I'm kinda limited in what I can do in that regard.

If I ever get back around to doing Underkeep, adding its arena, and the smithing system, I was planning to have one of the possible items be a ring of weight reduction. Was planning to make it prohibitively expensive and take about 10 quests - but it'd make the Gold Armor more feasible.

Need more maps though, I'm running out of good places to put things.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Perhaps it is time to stack on more treasures (minor and/or great) on already setup maps'n'bosses :D

Like Lord Cal, he usually gives like two items (not even gold anymore it seems) which are nearly worthless... this ring to reduce weight on a character, if you integrate it, could be a treasure dropped by Lord Cal...

It could act as an explanation as to why his bones don't snap to pieces while carrying that heavy ass mace of his!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Perhaps it is time to stack on more treasures (minor and/or great) on already setup maps'n'bosses :D

Like Lord Cal, he usually gives like two items (not even gold anymore it seems) which are nearly worthless... this ring to reduce weight on a character, if you integrate it, could be a treasure dropped by Lord Cal...

It could act as an explanation as to why his bones don't snap to pieces while carrying that heavy ass mace of his!!

I think the ring would be far too highly a saught after item to put on Cal, and of use mostly to people of very high level. Tis more a Lord BS/Ice Trannie item - both of which are already guarding several of the best items in the game. I dun wanna wind up with another Keledros farm, if I can avoid it. ;) I'd like it to be a multi-quest item type thing that'll send players all over the damned world.

Just hiding an item does no good, since BOU has that item finding thread. (Jeeze, I'm going to have to shuffle every treasure every month or something to deal with that... 1/2 j/k)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Just hiding an item does no good, since BOU has that item finding thread. (Jeeze, I'm going to have to shuffle every treasure every month or something to deal with that... 1/2 j/k)
I'd better start backupping DLLs.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Thothie said:
I'd better start backupping DLLs.

Starting December, FN will no longer accept connects from old DLLs.