My thoughts on twinking

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jelly said:
So why make it so they can't drop the artifacts? Wouldn't it be easier/better to make it so the lowlevels can't pickup artifacts?

I'd prefer to do that, but stopping people from dopping stuff is easy, while stopping people from picking stuff up, is hard. :/ (ie. Tech issues arrising from the item in question not already being in player inventory, and thus being unreferencable.)

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Would it be possible to get around that by causing players that are low leveled to automatically drop artifacts that they are carrying in their hands, have equipped, or have in containers?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alias script sploitable... Also can't cause them to drop items in containers. I'll fiddle with ideas when the code source comes back around to me though. Force-drop would certainly be preferable to deletion, but I doubt it's possible, especially for worn items.

Keldorn said:
Then there's the whole issue of who gets the Felewyn Blade out of the 5 players.
Not really twinker related, but the plan is to have the blade go to the player standing in the middle of the pattern of five runes (with an image of the goddess explaining all this to make it clear). This is to force it to be a team effort, and to require the team to select a leader (lest they have a boatload of shards each, which may very well be the case, the way things stand now). The entire tower should be a series of puzzles, each requiring a team effort to defeat anyways, combined with a stockpile of nasty mini-bosses between each, to discourage well organized nubs.

In anycase, as I said, this is all far, far down the line, by which time there will be another nine or so items to trade amongst for shards, and if anyone who is currently playing now, is still playing by then, they'll likely have acquired not only all five shards, but several duplicates of all the other tradable fragments and weapons as well.

Combined with the new banking system, this also has the added benefit that we can probably stop using weight as an anti-twinking mechanism, so many items may get much lighter, and thus be easier on the inventory as well.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
There's no reason to have extra Felewyn shards at the moment though, and there won't be a reason for a long, long while (like until The Observatory map is complete, or some such). I suspect by the time there is, you'll have gotten a dozen more. There's actually a lot of things in place to stop you from getting more than one (save through via trade), but they don't seem to be working...
Does this mean that spare Felewyn shards will vanish next patch? Say, if you have more than one Felewyn shard on a single character, will all of them but one get deleted automatically?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No. Just saying, do it yourself and save trouble. No need to carry dead weight.

kai

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My opinion on twinking is as follows:

I think it's lame, even though it's just NICE to give out your extra items loot, to the younger newer players.

Why? They don't deserve it.

What did they do to earn that Dark Sword you spent hard time on [spoilermaplol] farming to get a Urdualian Shield, but ended up getting an extra Dark Sword in the process?

"Well I don't need it, this guy's new, I'm sure he'd appreciate it." - Sure, that's nice. But you shouldn't. He didn't do anything for it, and giving out rares like they're candy upset the community. When a newer player gets a high level item like that, all he's going to want to do is "Damn, I can't use this.. not a high enough level.. I MUST GRIND TO BE ABLE TO USE IT!"

And all he's going to do is take time away from the game he could be spending ENJOYING it and learning about the lore of the game, he's just going to blow it off in favor of training enough to finally use that weapon.

It's like having money in real life. It burns a hole in your pocket they say, when you know you got it and can spend it on whatever you like, and that's all you want to do is spend it.

Albeit I'm a person who doesn't give out items like that. If anything, I'd keep it for myself. Who knows? Maybe down the road something happens to my Dark Sword, and I lose it.

Well I got another, awesome.

Or someone's offering a Lightning Rod for the a Dark Sword.

"Hmm.. I don't have a Lightning Rod.. I could use one.. and I've got a Dark Sword to spare.. why not?"

Now you've got a Lightning Rod you've traded for a basically EXTRA Dark Sword you had.

Giving out a high level rare item to someone who can't use it is just dumb. It's like giving shoes to a paraplegic.
The hell is he going to do with them?

Even though it's nice and alright to be a nice guy and give away that stuff you don't need, MS:C as Thothie said, can't handle twinking. The game is too small, it upsets the balance.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Darksword requires lvl 10 swords to wield it, so i guess it's not a high weapon example you mention there kai :wink:

But hey, there's this difference for giving items to people who actually are on the server with us (who ran maps with rares/usefull items) and the way to keep an item you obtain from a map and sometime later (let's say 2 or 3 days later) you join a server and ask if anyone wanted a free item (my defination for twinking). From what i've seen lately on ms:c this isn't what's been happening (except for those moments when people create random low hp alts to carry spares like myself)... The 1st situation is the more adequate for what's been happening in-game lately. The last person i probably saw/heard (about) twinking on ms:c was cornholio which was around a year ago? :roll:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Under 100hp? I doubt i ever did that unless running old_helena with 1 or 2 of them and let them pick a lboh... I did give away 3 stab helmets (obtained from ww3d chest) to people with around 300hp+ actually. There's this difference between 100 and 300 (let's say it's just a matter of 3x the value you posted). Also if you want to be a dick about stuff i did in the past, go ahead and i can do the same thing about some of your guild members who actually "have been trough the process of twinking over a year ago" such has Hemeriodious. I remember well when i gave my spair orion(from lodagond series) to him, i also remember i gave him like 1/3 my spair symbols on my alt(about 10 symbols) and that's not just it. You're telling me that im giving stuff to some underleveled people (which probably hasnt happened except with lboh while running old_helena) and i already "twinked" high lvl players such has Hem who actually accepted free stuff but yet they hate "twinking". Make's no sense to me. This concept is almost the same thing has blinding people by giving them money, people who get effected by it will sooner or later have problems. I pretty much do similiar stuff irl to people i know and trust, i just recently did give away my orange box (360 version) away to an underage friend (doesn't meet the age requirement to play the game) so i guess i just "twinked" him with a freegame and... What's valve going to do about it? I just gave a freegame away to someone i know and didn't diserve it. :roll:

Yeah, i know im being a total dick about the DT guild (i have my reasons from what i've heard and saw)... And i also know i'm giving random examples from what i've done in both game's and irl.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
Well, as for those guildmates, you're quite welcome to discuss those with me on steam, as I would be more than happy to raise hell with said guildmates, and perhaps in the process we could come to some manner of understanding (these recent outbursts of mine are but the culmination of ongoings since at least a few fortnight before the twink-antitwink war). I've decided to widthdraw from this arguement at it's very begining, as it will surely come down to me going "Yuh-huh!" and you going "Nuh-uh!, with the peanut gallery likely siding with whoever has the greater post count. Count this as a concession, if you will.

kai

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Maybe my Dark Sword example wasn't the best of choices, but back when I played, the Dark Sword was probably the biggest rare in game at the time, and was most sought after. Of course this was months ago, and long since have other items came around.

I remember not many people had the Dark Sword at the time, and getting it from [weallknowthemapname] was REALLY a pain, because the map's just a painfully long and difficult map. Or at least at the time it was.

Long since have other items been around and the such, so I could imagine that [weallknowthemapname] is probably easier now with all these items, and a decent amount of high level players (8)

Albeit, I fell to the Darkside of the force (so to speak ;) ) and got myself deleted for things I won't mention, I've since changed. I can say though that very few even HAD a Darksword.

The only one's I could remember at the time even having one were
Humansteak
nando
Shurik3n

and a few others I can't quite think of. Personally the Dark sword was my favorite weapon too, also why I used it as an example. :p

When it was first released too, before it got hit with the Nerf hammer (which made it require mana), it used to be the best simply because you could easily hit a 1000 hit on a monster full charge.

Now it costs mana, but that's probably for the best. The weapon is VERY powerful, and personally, it's the best weapon ingame if you asked me. :p

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well, that's nice and all, but surpressing the milk of human kindness encourages a colder playing atmosphere in general.

kai

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Just because you're not giving out your extra rares you have and items you don't need to players who are new to the game and can't use them, doesn't mean you have to be a dick to them. You can be perfectly nice to them, you're just not giving out your items.

I fail to see how not giving your high level extra rares to new players would make a cold atmosphere.

Hemeriodius

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
such has Hemeriodious. I remember well when i gave my spair orion(from lodagond series) to him, i also remember i gave him like 1/3 my spair symbols on my alt(about 10 symbols)

The orion bow your talking about is no doubt somewhere at the bottom of a deep pit and as for those symbols it was a trade remember? you didn't give me anything.

Zeus9860 said:
But hey, there's this difference for giving items to people who actually are on the server with us (who ran maps with rares/usefull items)

Right so i guess if a fresh Adventurer with 5HP followed you through lodagond he would deserve the AoB then?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
There was 3 symbols for the trade only, i asked you if you wanted any of my spare symbol #3 i had lots of them and you said yes, so you actually only traded for 3 symbols and not all of them. And, yeah if im alone with a player with low hp and aob spawns, he diserved it has im not going to keep an useless item for myself (just for item count + weight)... Also, if i was alone with him i doubt i would get aob since i already have all the rare items from lodagond-4, i also doubt a 5hp player could carry it unless he had a lboh (which i never saw anyone except for alts so far). When the actual player gets the item for being active troughout the map and receives and overleveled & rare item, that's not twinking and i would rather let them have the chance of getting the item other than just being a sellfish bastard and pick it up then pit it.

Hemeriodius

New Adventurer
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
There was 3 symbols for the trade only, i asked you if you wanted any of my spare symbol #3 i had lots of them and you said yes, so you actually only traded for 3 symbols and not all of them.

That wasn't my understanding of it.

zeus9860 said:
And, yeah if im alone with a player with low hp and aob spawns, he diserved it has im not going to keep an useless item for myself (just for item count + weight)... Also, if i was alone with him i doubt i would get aob since i already have all the rare items from lodagond-4, i also doubt a 5hp player could carry it unless he had a lboh (which i never saw anyone except for alts so far). When the actual player gets the item for being active troughout the map and receives and overleveled & rare item, that's not twinking and i would rather let them have the chance of getting the item other than just being a sellfish bastard and pick it up then pit it.

All that is utter Bull Shit i see plenty of non alt low levels get LBOH all the time. Also it isn't being selfish to not let lvl 5's get AoB's, in the long run its for there own good anyway.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
1. Name some 5 hp nubs that have lboh that aren't alts.
2. Explain how it's better for them, not you, in the long run.
3. LOL at the symbols and the Orion "in" the pit

Hemeriodius

New Adventurer
Reaction score
littleaznboi said:
3. LOL at the symbols and the Orion "in" the pit

Its funny to see this coming from someone who was Anti Twink a few months ago, I'm actually surprised you had the guts to open your mouth about twinking ya big hypocrite.

littleaznboi said:

Yeah because i can of course remember the name of every twinked noob i run into >.>

littleaznboi said:

The sooner a player gets his AoB, Stab Helm, LBOH etc etc the sooner they realize there is nothing left for them but a huge boring grind fest. But if you keep things like AoB's, PA's, HXbows, restricted to say LVL 30+ then players have something to work towards. Item Collecting is about 60% of the MSC Experience the sooner it ends the sooner the game ends for the player.

Give a lvl 10 who followd you through Old_Helena and Loda a LBOH and AoB and he will get bored by lvl 20

Tell the lvl 10 that those items are High Level items and that he should play through the rest of the game before he gets them and he will stick around to lvl30+.

Masterchief117

New Adventurer
Reaction score
if you soloed loda or did with a low lvl following you, first i worship you, second you cant stop them from recieving items from an arti chest. so if they randomly get AoB from the chest what are you going to do about it. So just stop whining about nubs with rares because most people with play to lvl 30+ to beable to use the stuff and the mod is still fun even if you have most of the good items. I've seen this with many RPG games

Truewarrior

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Back to the topic, perhaps a trading system that would allow players to trade items to other players in a X level range of them would interesting,or a system that wont prevent trades between guild members that would be on a special list on the FN server? (if my english makes senses lol)

Jordy

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Either someone will be grinding to use a weapon or be grinding to get it. Then there is nothing to do after that anyway...

Nothing wrong with "pulling a Jordy"