MSC for almost 10 years

Charles445

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If it were put on greenlight the game would have to prepare for all the new players, whatever that entails.
Still, not sure if Thothie would gamble 100 dollars on something like that.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Fuck greenlight then.
100 bucks to GAMBLE wethever the game gets a standalone release or not? fuck that

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
FER said:
**** greenlight then.
100 bucks to GAMBLE wethever the game gets a standalone release or not? **** that
I do believe it's better than the alternative of the mod -completely- dying out....

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Could always go with donations for that?

FER said:
Thats not the only alternative btw.

What else do you have in mind?

I'm all game for putting it on greenlight, like cry of fear ended up like.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
What else do you have in mind?

A free game engine like unity for example, of course that would mean HURD WUUURK!

Etnies

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I would donate approximately $3 to the Greenlight fund. As an added bonus, I'll also vote to have it greenlit.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Somehow related, we should get this guy to do the payment for us... :roll:

edit:

If we were to add ms:c on greenlight, is this a permanent addition or is there a time limit? Also anyone got any clue on how many votes it would require to pass through?

This all depends on everyone's choice right now and if Thothie actually agrees with the idea all along of making it on greenlight. I don't know what kind of results could come from this, but they better be positive...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
Somehow related, we should get this guy to do the payment for us... :roll:

edit:

If we were to add ms:c on greenlight, is this a permanent addition or is there a time limit? Also anyone got any clue on how many votes it would require to pass through?

This all depends on everyone's choice right now and if Thothie actually agrees with the idea all along of making it on greenlight. I don't know what kind of results could come from this, but they better be positive...
I'm still trying to get more specific information, but I suspect getting a stand alone deal coupled with the engine source, similar to CoF, is the only hope for the game to survive, long term. I'm kind of afraid that MSS is destined for a similarly leaky boat.

FER said:
A free game engine like unity for example, of course that would mean HURD WUUURK!
Hey! Glass houses man... How long has the elf model been on the WIP list now, Mr. Modeler? :p

But more than hard work, there's manpower, and know-how to consider. At MSC, we don't actually have anyone capable of coding a game up from scratch under the unity engine, or indeed, any other 3D engine, at the moment. At MSS, we have, at best, one, and he's not inclined to, having no content artists with the know how to work on it.

Learning to do it would entail a one-man development team - and unless I go back in time and kill and replace my younger self, ala 21 days, I don't think I have enough years left in me to pull that off. My coding skills are meager, more hack than double slash, as it were, and while they've a bit of breadth, spread over several languages and game engines, they've very little depth. That's, oddly, what's allowed me to carry the cross of MSC this far though... I know enough of everything to keep the beast fed, but not enough of any one thing to recreate it.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thing is, ms:c is worth saving, MSS not so much, there's no way to tell how the hell that mod is going right now, we don't know the progress and i lost faith on this on the day it was announced as a project. By the time MSS gets released, i'll be in a grave and who gets to play the game will be my descendants, yes that's how much faith i have on MSS.

I won't change my mind untill i actually see any progress made since the downfall of the empire (rickler leaving the project).

I'm kinda skeptical about all this greenlight business because it seems to be lacking alot of info on the FAQ related to that damn thing...

Anyways, i could help with getting the greenlight access, if you are willing to take it over and announce it and make it a standalone game. Thing is, we need to be sure if it's exactly this that we must do or not, would be awfull to get in on greenlight and get the item removed because somehow something slipped in that is against their terms of use.
Also, would be nice to decide this before summer sale hits, 'cause when sales are around, i usually spend more cash than i should. >_<

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well yeah its pretty daunting to learn from scratch on another engine but not everything sounds so bad. Maps are done with models and terrain, and i do believe it could be possible to use thes cripts from msc too (?)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
and i do believe it could be possible to use thes cripts from msc too (?)
No, MSC's scripting system is entirely unique, and more or less a language unto itself, not portable nor translatable to any other system. It's nice that it's so robust and powerful, and would be fairly easy to use for the power, if not for all the bugs and idiosyncrasies you have to work around - but it was developed specifically for MSC, and works only within MSC and nothing else - nor does it even look like anything else (having come about long before LUA). Most of the functions are unique commands that translate directly to HL1SDK core functions, or functions unique to MSC.

Engines that depend on models for their maps still need them assembled by unique tools that are often as difficult as the modeling programs themselves to learn, and that particular form of modeling, where model based rooms conjoin in perfect seams to a perfect scale, is not going to be something anyone learning on Goldsrc or Source games is going to have experience with.

Even if the modelers could learn and adapt, however, without a coder with the ability to do scratch level code work on the engine in question (again, Orochi being the only person around who *might* have the know how to do that), it's an entirely moot point. Models don't do anything on their own - you need an in-depth coder to make an actual game from scratch like that. Sadly, I've no magic wand that produces them and forces them to work on the project in question. The half dozen or so we managed to attract over the years have all gone their separate ways or been driven off. Same could be said of the other half dozen who never attained that skill level to begin with.