Master Sword Continued: Custom Spray/Tag

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
OK so first of all you need the following software!

• Photoshop
http://www.adobe.com/?ogn=EN_US-gn_home
  • Wally
http://www.telefragged.com/wally/

Now that you have them Downloaded and Installed we are ready to roll!
1. You must use the following sizes available, you cant just make an image and expect it to work! It must be specific size, check this out and figure out which one you would like to use.

size.gif

For this tutorial am going to be using the following size 128 X 64 but to make thing a little easy on me ill use 256 X 128 and resize it later on.

2. So now i have a 256 X 128 image and you have worked on it all day! ya right, so now it look something like this:

allentrilll.gif

3. Since its 256 X 128 we must lower the size to 128 x 64 go to:
image > image size... > and change the settings

If your wondering, how the Fu*#@ can we make a transparent background here a how to accomplish this!

Your layout background must be set to pure blue (0000FF)!
Set your image or text layout on top of the pure blue layer

Should look something like this:
transparent.gif

transparent2.gif

4. Now we must save it in the appropriate format! click File > Save As
On format move scroll down to "BMP" now save!
Now must be set to Windows Format and 24 bit.

Now should look something like this:

allentrill.jpg

transparent-1.jpg

transparent2-1.jpg

NOTE: MUST BE SAVED AS "BMP" FORMAT OR IT WILL NOT WORK!

5. Now we are done with all the Photoshop stuff, now we are off and use wally! First step!
Wizard > HL Color Decal
Under the "File on hardrive" click the "..." button and search for your saved bmp file and click ok.

Should look something like this:

wally1.gif

6. Now we save it:
File > Save As
Name it "tempdecal.wad"
Location should be saved to: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/e-mail address/half-life/msc/

NOTE: NOW THAT IT SAVED GO TO THAT DIRECTORY MANUALLY AND SET IT AS "READ ONLY"
Right Click > Properties > Read Only > OK
If this isn't done, when ever you go into your game options, it will be overited and your file will be lost!

7. Now that your done, there only one thing left to do! go freaking test it out!

NOTE: THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES THE HALF LIFE LOGO WILL SHOW UP BUT DONT STRESS! KEEP TRYING IT AFTER A FEW TIMES SHOULD WORK LIKE A CHARM!

test.png

test2.png

Yes I know using a transparent square figure kind of defeats the purpose but.... gives u the idea which is the key of this tutorial.

Tutorial Made By: Moises Tadeo
Date Made: Monday, March 31 2008
Ver 0.4

dangzard

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Really good tutorial shin keep up the good work :mrgreen: i made my own spray but too lazy to follow da tut :twisted: sooooo yea P.S you can see my name top left u know just pointing it out XD

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Nice tutorial. I want to add this also works for all HL1 games.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes sir this also works with other HL games like Counter-Strike DOD TFC It also works with those people that hate steam and use non-steam or wan just rename the file to pldecal.wad

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Didn't read your guide but it looks good. I have a super old custom spray I made (7 years ago?) and I can't get it to work. It used to work fine and I haven't changed it but I've never gotten it to show in MS. You said that it may show the HL logo a few times but I don't think mine ever works.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wow that old, I think a long time ago they would save it as "pdecal.wad" thats prob what you have it named as now, as they moved to steam it changed to "tempdecal.wad" make sure that correct. If that doesn't work you can always send me the .wad file and ill take a look at it see whats up.

Shinitenshi said:
6. Now we save it:
File > Save As
Name it "tempdecal.wad"
Location should be saved to: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/e-mail address/half-life/msc/

NOTE: NOW THAT IT SAVED GO TO THAT DIRECTORY MANUALLY AND SET IT AS "READ ONLY"
Right Click > Properties > Read Only > OK
If this isn't done, when ever you go into your game options, it will be overited and your file will be lost!

7. Now that your done, there only one thing left to do! go freaking test it out!

NOTE: THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES THE HALF LIFE LOGO WILL SHOW UP BUT DONT STRESS! KEEP TRYING IT AFTER A FEW TIMES SHOULD WORK LIKE A CHARM!

If you named it correctly and putting it the correct dirrectory and made sure its read only everything should be running smoothly :)

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shinitenshi said:
If you named it correctly and putting it the correct dirrectory and made sure its read only everything should be running smoothly :)

I'll try it out again and let you know. I made it that long ago but I've used it until a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure I did rename it to tempdecal for use in something, maybe CS 1.6, but I just remember it not working in MS.

Durak

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Surprisingly it works now.

The only thing I changed was setting the file to read only. Maybe I had gone into options the times I had tested it. Thanks for the great tutorial. Maybe I'll even remake my super old spray.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ah dude ur read my mind :) working on it. ill post the updated version sooon.

Edited: New Version Posted!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ye must make sure every white pixel in your avatar is replaced with true blue, and not just some off color blue. If you scale the image, the aliasing will fux it up, ie. where the white meets the logo, it isn't true white, but a blur - same when you put in the blue.

If ye look at the very tip of one of the horns on your avatar, for instance:
not_white.gif

Ye can see several pixels are almost, but not quite white. Resizing with lanzcos or whatnot will aggravate this.

If yer in photoshop, ye can use various tolerances of the wand or color selection threshold to fix this, or mask it over, or, if worst comes to worst, you can go in manually with the pencil and blot the offending pixels manually.

Drake Wingfire

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
damn, well thank god i got a tablet just suxzorz that i gotta play around with it.

i still gotta figure out how to make it not so pixled x.=.x

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Drake Wingfire said:
damn, well thank god i got a tablet just suxzorz that i gotta play around with it.

It's hard when the original artwork isn't low resolution.

Shinitenshi

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes if you not carefull that will happen. make sure everything u want transparent is pure blue just like thothie said.

Drake Wingfire

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Drake Wingfire said:

It's hard when the original artwork isn't low resolution.

Yeah that pic i did there just the head alone is about close to 1000 x 800 or so