Mapping - Opinion

Liv

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Planes of Edena and Edena are be difrents files .bsb ?? (map file)

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
.bsp are the finished file

.map are the not finished file

.bsp cant be edited

.map can be edited

Kuroneko told me

btw.

I found a program that could make .bsp files to .map files :D

so i can edite and hack and crash some maps 8)

if i only know how to make maps xD

Cyax

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry to get technical, but have you heard of the loans that Geico is offering?

Cyax

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Just kidding however, .bsp is the compiled form of a .rmf and/or a .map. A decompiler cannot undo a compile fully, if you decompile a map, fragments will be missed.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Hey 009, I have three programs to decompile maps.

:roll:

Oh and Cyax, an RMF is exported into a MAP file by Hammer. The compile tools use this MAP file, and not the RMF. If you really want to know...

The MAP file first goes through "Constructive Solid Geometry" (CSG), which is the creation of brush building, followed by "Binary Space Partitioning" (BSP), which is the actual creation of the BSP file (the playable map). Then comes the "Visible Information Set" creation (or VIS). This helps Half-Life (or whatever mod you're playing) to determine what can and what can't be seen so not everything needs to be rendered. Last but not least RAD is run (short for Radiosity). RAD performs those dreaded lighting calculations we all love and hate.

8)

Back on topic: That terrain is way too rough... There's a smoothing tool, y'know?

Cyax

New Adventurer
Reaction score
About your maps, any architecture? Or just use of terrain deformation tool? Not to sound malignant or anything, but any fool can use that tool in HL2. Yes I see the two screenshots, but they have a prefab, and some blocky walls.

P. S. Please post work of buildings/dungeons/anything that is not just deformed terrain please.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
JM, do ya got a decompiler that at least creates a map file solid enough to recompile? The only one I got (Bsptomap) is fine for figuring which models are tied to which model numbers, how to move them about, and such, but it never creates a map file that would survive recompile.

It'd just be nice if I could get a MAP file clean enough to rebuild the map from, even if it was missing bits and pieces, which, presumably, I could replace.

"I don't trust little green lizards enough to send them montly payments."

Saint Thoth