Map Statistics

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Could use these on the ground *and* in the sky, have a full set of attacks in both flight and walk modes (flight being primarily projectiles). Already tweaked up the model to compile, but it's complicated enough that scripting the bugger could take months.
This looks really awesome but I'm not sure if it fits a map like Eswen. This doesn't seem like the kind of monster you would encounter in the tree tops of an enchanted Elven Forest. Are there any other flying creatures lying around? A griffon would be really cool to see.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Whatever that flying thing is and talk of griffons makes me want some more pet charms..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hey now, the AD&D Monster Manual says forests are the manticore's preferred habitat. Who are we to argue with Gary Gygax? :p

I suppose it's technically not a manticore - doesn't have the pew-pew spiky tail nor maned lionhead. Some sorta angry horned flying kitty cat that breathes fire (or something). I suppose it has a black skin, if you find a flying panther more foresty.

But nah, ain't got no griffons. Indeed, think this is the only flyer among the newer fancy models.

Father Brandon

Active Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Not sure how much work it is, but doing the opposite of mini-skycastle would be a nice effect. You have a miniaturized version of the map (possibly under the clouds to save on world polys), when they fall, black out the screen after a moment (a la heras) to signify blacking out from fear or whatever, then play impact sound and trigger_hurt

That is possible. I am pushing map resource limits quite a lot as as (This is a good thing for forcing design decisions so far for me) so I'll see if I can squeeze it in.

That would be really awesome, though I've done more than enough mapping to know, also a lot of work.

Would have to obscure the horizon with one of the weather fog effects or some sprite clouds, otherwise you'll be floating over a giant square and any screenshots will end up as evidence for the flat earthers. We can tweak the distance of the fog effect - think fog_white weather might not give you much view distance. Might also need to do something to make it client specific, so only the folks in the clouds get it. Come to think of it, adding a "touching client only" feature to mstrig_weather would be both fairly simple and useful.

Speaking of things that'd be awesome and a lot of work...
View attachment 5921
Worth it for a proper lore map though. Could use these on the ground *and* in the sky, have a full set of attacks in both flight and walk modes (flight being primarily projectiles). Already tweaked up the model to compile, but it's complicated enough that scripting the bugger could take months. (Also thank @Hush.)

The fog idea would work out well and it makes a lot of sense. Without it you would still look up and see taller trees due to the skybox texture : P.That is one slick looking monster. Seeing that fly out of the cloud/fog up in the trees toward you might be quite a trip. We should make sure it has some loud appropriate sounds though to announce its presence. Some NPC elves might join in to fend it off.

What about some sort of Will'o'Wisp monster?

I need some of these for sure. They'd fit in quite well aesthetically.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you want to make changes to fall damage for "creative purposes", might aswell make changes to the drowning system for the same purpose. Of course, i am being ironic with this, both ideas are stupid and should be added to the trash bin. Fall damage is low but there is already the screen shaking effect to compensate for the lack of damage. Messing with the fall damage in this game would certainly be another factor to piss off the players and you probably don't want to do that.

Now, my view on "trending/popular maps" vs "quality maps". Ignoring the "looks" of the map.
Loot dungeons/dungeon raids = most popular maps, easily also the most hated maps unless it is properly planned out (this is based on map layout vs enemy population vs loot drops vs random things to do such as quests/events);
Quality maps = maps often visited when people want to take a break or mess around with(climbing things, explore every corner of the map, this is something positive as it keeps people intrigued for sometime), maps such as towns or "open world"-type maps such as thornlands;

If you are making a town map, i would advise to use helena/old_helena and sorc_villa as references of things that could possibly be done for your map, Specially sorc_villa, imo it is the best town map we have, it is small yet it offers various things. Helena has some hidden places and events, which is good. OH offers the samething helena has to offer in terms of enemy events, except on a larger scale, map is dull imo but it served its purpose.

If you are making an open world map, look at thornlands for the best possible reference in the game. Perhaps a mix of Thornlands with Sfor (hidden stuff to find) and a little bit of idemarks tower (ruins to explore are welcoming). The desert maps are also good references, aluhandra and aleyesu, the downside to these maps imo is the theme itself, i never really enjoyed the desert theme in games, it looks too boring if used in large scales. Bloodrose, has a decent layout imo, also this map kinda hits the spot in terms of questing/exploring the map. That first time i decided to adventure further into the map and open the final section of the map with the jade key, just to try and beat the "boss" which i eventually did, then found out there was yet another boss, and this one completly destroyed me a few dozen times, had to get help to beat him. Giving the player that feeling of danger, map progressively gets more and more serious with each phase, that you end up requesting backup from people to get things done, good times.

If you are going for an indoors map, aim for shad_palace, i think this is definetly the best possible indoors map there is in the game, the only flaws it has is the enemies teleporting randomly across the map or shooting you into oblivion with lightning. Other than this, i enjoyed the_wall (i'm gonna get hated for this) mostly because this map offered the same enemies regardless of the amount of players in the server or totalhp present, which offered a challenge to groups of weaker players or a challenge to higher level players who like to take things with their own hands, plus the rewarding system is mostly positive. In terms of layout, i think it was decent tbh, going in full circle isn't something we see very often, so i give extra points on that aspect.

Father Brandon

Active Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If you want to make changes to fall damage for "creative purposes", might aswell make changes to the drowning system for the same purpose. Of course, i am being ironic with this, both ideas are stupid and should be added to the trash bin. Fall damage is low but there is already the screen shaking effect to compensate for the lack of damage. Messing with the fall damage in this game would certainly be another factor to piss off the players and you probably don't want to do that.

Now, my view on "trending/popular maps" vs "quality maps". Ignoring the "looks" of the map.
Loot dungeons/dungeon raids = most popular maps, easily also the most hated maps unless it is properly planned out (this is based on map layout vs enemy population vs loot drops vs random things to do such as quests/events);
Quality maps = maps often visited when people want to take a break or mess around with(climbing things, explore every corner of the map, this is something positive as it keeps people intrigued for sometime), maps such as towns or "open world"-type maps such as thornlands;

If you are making a town map, i would advise to use helena/old_helena and sorc_villa as references of things that could possibly be done for your map, Specially sorc_villa, imo it is the best town map we have, it is small yet it offers various things. Helena has some hidden places and events, which is good. OH offers the samething helena has to offer in terms of enemy events, except on a larger scale, map is dull imo but it served its purpose.

If you are making an open world map, look at thornlands for the best possible reference in the game. Perhaps a mix of Thornlands with Sfor (hidden stuff to find) and a little bit of idemarks tower (ruins to explore are welcoming). The desert maps are also good references, aluhandra and aleyesu, the downside to these maps imo is the theme itself, i never really enjoyed the desert theme in games, it looks too boring if used in large scales. Bloodrose, has a decent layout imo, also this map kinda hits the spot in terms of questing/exploring the map. That first time i decided to adventure further into the map and open the final section of the map with the jade key, just to try and beat the "boss" which i eventually did, then found out there was yet another boss, and this one completly destroyed me a few dozen times, had to get help to beat him. Giving the player that feeling of danger, map progressively gets more and more serious with each phase, that you end up requesting backup from people to get things done, good times.

If you are going for an indoors map, aim for shad_palace, i think this is definetly the best possible indoors map there is in the game, the only flaws it has is the enemies teleporting randomly across the map or shooting you into oblivion with lightning. Other than this, i enjoyed the_wall (i'm gonna get hated for this) mostly because this map offered the same enemies regardless of the amount of players in the server or totalhp present, which offered a challenge to groups of weaker players or a challenge to higher level players who like to take things with their own hands, plus the rewarding system is mostly positive. In terms of layout, i think it was decent tbh, going in full circle isn't something we see very often, so i give extra points on that aspect.

Sound advice. I still have a lot to visit ingame but I have been to the thornlands and sfor plenty of times and I do like them a lot. I'm trying for a balanced mix of indoor and outdoor. I understand the like for a map that has the same encounters regardless of your level, It would be nice to be able to mix that with a few spots to visit in a map that have different events/encounters available depending on your level.