Just some thinking :)

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Not sure what to do with the fact that some have bewbs and others don't.

afaik armors werent made for females, ever. So female models have to deal with it that the chests gonna be flat as a washboard (has anybody ever used the female model ?). Also maybe its 2 variants for the same "type" of armor, like one female version that just looks alot different in texture and modell but is thought to be part of the set. For example the two sets with helm and legs n stuff, the far middle being the male model and the thing infront of it being the female model. you get my point my english aint working today.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, MSC isn't historical - it's another universe, and the lore's pretty clear that we've got female warriors running about in it (including one of the three gods - Felewyn usually appearing in armor)... Half of these armors have bewbs, so if I were to combine those two premiseses, I should just give all the male armor bewbs and be done with it. ;)

But no, they aren't using the same texture or style, just, some come in female and some come in male, none come in both, dernit. (Though there's one that's a bit androgynous, at least). Flat chested or not (and most of our female armor is), I still have to adapt them for both models. The positional offsets are different as are the seams. If you stick a male breastplate straight onto the female model, it comes up to her eyes, and doing the reverse, winds up with the armor vanishing inside the male's chest.

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
if i ever had seen a model outside of a game i might have known that, to bad like literally nobody here can model properly for goldsource... if you could recommend some good software to mess around with these id be willing to take a look at it but id take me probably till oct 2016 till i can come up with something useable due to lack of time or superb lazyness xD

P.S: in any case you will be way faster than me iam just curious on how things work.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
From what I know milkshape3d is what most use for Half-Life. I use 3ds max 9 but I'd have to use other editors just to get my model into a format that Half-Life can use, which if never been able to do. Thothie or someone else has always done that for me when I've submitted a model. Blender might work it has a lot of different plugins. But I've never personally liked blender.

Also imo msc's skeletons are a bit crazy.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I'll probably have at least some of them in by then. ;)

As for software, I've been using Milkshape, as that, and a few knock offs of it, are about the only modeling programs that work for Half-Life that I can make heads or tails of. It's main advantage is that it has a million importer/exporters, and was actually made with Half-Life in mind.

I don't really recommend it though. It's limited, and it's possible that if it becomes intuitive for ya it'll make the other programs less so. The lack of 3D selection is pretty crippling, though there's a plugin that allows it, kinda, sorta.

Blender's out there for free, though the only SMD exporter I can find for it is a bit buggy.

GMax might be good if you intend to learn 3ds Max - which would be the best all around program to learn, as that'll work for anything and has all the features you could ever hope for, but it's complicated as f*ck, and the GMax version is only slightly less so. Our dragons were made/tweaked in GMax.

I recently discovered KHed, which is a very simple, and very limited, modeling program. But it's the only one I've seen that can import Half-Life .mdl files directly, plus it's free, and pretty clean. It does not seem to do animations, however, which is kinda fatal.

Also, please familiarize yourself with Half-Life's .QC model information format. I've had a lot of painful experiences dealing with models from modelers who could wiz through the 3D process, but couldn't actually get their models to work, as they didn't understand how this thing puts them together. You can open QC's (and even SMD's) with any text editor, such as Notepad.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:

the last time i tried using Gmax it was a pain, its not really supported anymore and you have to enter some kind of key to get it working which has a loop or two to jump through to get the actual key since its not supported anymore. however if you can get gmax working for your need in half-life. i suggest using it! 3ds max/gmax is super easy to use once you learn some of the basics. just watch some tutorials on youtube or something.

i started modeling using milkshape and a guy who used to come around these parts (Gaz) reccomended i learn it. it was well worth my time!