Just some thinking :)

Meru

New Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just had some idea while playing and thinking about how to level further my divination.

I know there are not many spells and weapons that can level the divination skill.
Maybe thats wanted, maybe there were not enough ideas to implement more stuff.

So here is just an idea about a new Staff with holy abilities:

Staff of Edana´s Light

l56909-nightwing-staff-19599.jpg

- Weapon type: Pole Arms
- Requirements: Level 30 Pole & level 25 Divination

Abilities:

- Holy beam on left mouse button (counterpart to the Dark Staff)
Heals the target by 0,2 per point of divination per tick.
Damages undead enemys by 1 per point of divination per tick.

- Holy field on charge of the right mouse button (also like counterpart to the Dark Staff)
Set a holy field (like healing circle) that heals targets inside of it, with 0,3 per point of diviniation per tick.
Damages undead enemys by 1 per point of divination per tick.

Everything just an idea, the model of the picture i have as obj, dae and mtl files, it is not made by myself, it is a personal use only license model I found. If someone would have a better texture for it feel free to coment with it :)

So tell me your thinking about this and maybe what should be different to fit into MS:C

Greetings
Jens

Abarcine

New Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Personally I really like the idea of using the staff system to flesh out magic.

Divination especially is a huge pain to level past 25ish. I assume it picks up again a bit once you get a holy lance but adding options to the school isn't a bad idea.

Though if it's solely div based would it be a bad idea to remove the 30 pole req?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Staves use bluntarms from what i know, not polearms. I guess because a staff would most likely deal blunt damage if it did meele hits, unless it's a pointy thing that can pierce the enemy and shoot lazers at the sametime, i guess then that would be a "magical polearm" of sorts. :wink:

It's true divination is lacking, this has been brought up many times. There is/was a magic system rework that dates from some years ago which, i believe, was the main reason for magic not getting entirelly new effective spells directly added into the game. So players resorted to ask for staves and other types of spells (summons) to bring some enjoyment to the magic side of the game, which is rather dull in the current endgame.

Anyways, i'm not even sure if content is still being actively worked on for the mod right now, it takes time to see news about something for this mod, which is also something i haven't seen in a while and i still stalk the forums about everyday of the week.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Most magic staves do damage by their type... I don't think there's any left that do bluntarms damage.

In addition to not being home much, or conscious much, there's this rather tricky wall we've run into that is rather crippling. Don't stand much chance of getting around it for awhile, since I can't duplicate it here, and can't seem to get remote access to anyone who can. We may be hitting some sort of DLL size limit, in which case, we may be boned.

Nonetheless, Oyster's working on maps... Might get a wee something eventually, but until the aforementioned issue is dealt with, nothing major (and probably no new items).

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Id love to see a weapon to level divination other than this incredibly frustrating Golden Axe or incredibly frustrating to get holy lance and what you posted there looks great on paper IMO, please make it happen.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Items that don't need to be in-game (and probably have stolen content):
Blood Blades (Garbage weapon, hard to get, model is stolen(?))
Phlames Staff (Garbage weapon, hard to get, model is stolen)
Dark Staff model is stolen, still a good item (Glass Staff morrowind)
F-Shard needs to go back to original model
Ice staff needs a new model, but the weapon is good
Crescent blades (absolute garbage, hard to get, model is stolen(?))

The list can go on, however we could use some items that we already have the models for like a level 35 Poison Bluntarms

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Items that don't need to be in-game (and probably have stolen content):
Blood Blades (Garbage weapon, hard to get, model is stolen(?))
Phlames Staff (Garbage weapon, hard to get, model is stolen)
Dark Staff model is stolen, still a good item (Glass Staff morrowind)
F-Shard needs to go back to original model
Ice staff needs a new model, but the weapon is good
Crescent blades (absolute garbage, hard to get, model is stolen(?))

The list can go on, however we could use some items that we already have the models for like a level 35 Poison Bluntarms
Good post. Please get rid of our blatantly obvious stolen content. We have plenty of staves from the old Wizard Wars mod, so I have no clue why we continue to use this stolen stuff.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
For all i know, blood blades aren't garbage when it comes to life support. So that makes it a worthwhile weapon, it sacrifices some dps for more health regen. I don't like the +use to block with the weapons since i'm the type of player that is addicted to +use while killing enemies.

PhLames staff is living up to it's name, only worthwhile using if using the firebrand potion, otherwise nope.

Dark staff, pretty much the only staff i would dare say i'm happy with.

Fshards, from the little time i played in these last few patches, they looked like *insertbadwordhere* ingame compared to old model, but i guess the reason behind it justifies the act.

Ice (battle)staff, good meele, crappy abilites and a somewhat "fun" for the first time ability. F*ck logic!

Crescent blades, from what i remember they had 100% chance of applying dot on hit to neutral enemies, so they aren't that crappy as people consider them to be. Could pretty much function as support tools, slow down enemies and lowering their hit rate is always a good combination. Or could always go for full damage with dual fire (need pots though). Of course this implies that poison and non elemental versions are crap. Unless poison dot does something nowadays, which i'm likely unaware of.

As for the stolen material, y u do dis? :roll:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
As for the stolen material, y u do dis? :roll:
This is the major issue :? There's just so many unused models that AREN'T stolen, that there's really no excuse for stealing blatant commercial-game media. :roll:

No matter how shiny

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
This is the major issue :? There's just so many unused models that AREN'T stolen, that there's really no excuse for stealing blatant commercial-game media. :roll:
Bring me replacements, instead of just pictures of them, and it shall be done. We ain't got no modelers no more.

Also, remember the Felewyn Shard model replacement (which isn't stolen) was accidental. Wasn't supposed to get into the patch, and I specifically asked if we should keep it or not.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Or don't use stolen content in the first place to make shitty useless items, especially if we're running out of space for items anyways. :?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
B-b-but, I love my PhLames Staff! :oldcry:

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Lucifer Majiskus said:
Bring me replacements, instead of just pictures of them, and it shall be done. We ain't got no modelers no more.
This could work for the dark staff, potentially, although it also looks kinda like an Earth staff to me... Dunno if it's in a useable format for us though.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/dru ... ree/397276

Meru

New Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
How about something like this?

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/mag ... 3ds/916891

If this would match I would buy it if it would make it possible to implement my idea :)

I am not experienced in those those things but if I am able to support in any way I would like to.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, if ya want, send the OBJ and textures over. Better replacement for affliction staff, I suppose (I'll just green/chrome the gem or something, if possible.) Shame to lose the glowing eyes though.

Buy $10+ of crap, and I'll have to rig you up with a donator halo though.

Easier to add than some other models at least. Hush 2.0 bought us these freaking beautiful monster models and I've yet to find the time to break their anim sequences apart and get them in game. (Guy who made them decided to glue all their anims into one giant SMD - weapon models, at least, don't need animations.)

Phosphorcracker

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Phosphorcracker said:
TheOysterHippopotami said:
while we're on the topic of buying pretty stuff, some day I'd like to buy us these:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/fan ... del/438105

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/may ... t-2/471540

there's a lot of neat stuff on turbosquid for relatively cheap, for anyone who is interested in buying us stuff.

as a europoor iam filthy rich, what armor set would you like to have more ?
Can these even be rigged to fit our current armor system? :oldshock: These look amazing

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Possibly... There's a lot of bump mapping involved, so they won't look nearly as good in our game.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Possibly... There's a lot of bump mapping involved, so they won't look nearly as good in our game.
Are they worth buying at all? Or would it simply be too much work for our tiny team to pull off? Don't wanna spend money on something that won't realistically make it in game.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It'd take some tweaking to fit right and rig proper, but provided there's an OBJ (or MS3D) it'd be within the scope of what I can do - just not sure what the end result would come out as. Be a bit of work, as would have to do it for both the male and female model - but at least there's no anims involved, and reskinning is possible, thus we can get a lotta mileage out of each. There's no pants or arms on most em though, so I'd have to treat those like leathers, which might add to the awkward.

As for the ones with arms and no pants - I'm not sure, off hand, if that model combination is possible with the current player model.

edit: Okay, it is. Would need some script tweaking to provide the option, but doable. Been awhile since I've looked at all that.