Reaction score
They cant...but maybe someone else used his account? or he forgot bout it

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm afraid Little G has the only explanation I can think of, the old characters won't load.

I tried to eliminate all the STEAM_ID_PENDING slots and such, but some CD installs of STEAM seem to generate other custom ID's such as "VALVE_ID_UNKNOWN" "STEAM_ID_WAIT" etc etc. If there's one I've not found yet, I suppose tis the only other explanation I can think of. But the character's name would be someone else's.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I'm betting you're not properly hosting FN, and it is like a client-side, or server-side, character. Those two listings are different, at least the characters they show; even though both listing types will show characters from YOUR computer.

That's more likely, since characters from before MSC are NOT compatible with now-a-days MSC.

FuzzyFish

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Pre-MS:C Characters (MS 1.35 and lower) will not work with MS:C. Never have, never could never will.

On top of that anything before hand was clientside saving only. No steamID was saved in it. As well as a lot of necessary information to make it work.

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:? ya and will be all MS:C beta characters compatibile ? :p i hope ya....
Hamachi is usefull, and about FN i think using MS:C master server is bugged isnt it ? so im working at one own tool for characters (useing SERVER side character saves combined with character uploader(SERVER), special client software for connetion and backups and MYSQL database) but this tool is in pre-beta stage.... :oops: This is all what i can say :twisted:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ya and will be all MS:C beta characters compatibile ? i hope ya....
Hamachi is usefull, and about FN i think using MS:C master server is bugged isnt it ? so im working at one own tool for characters (useing SERVER side character saves combined with character uploader(SERVER), special client software for connetion and backups and MYSQL database) but this tool is in pre-beta stage.... This is all what i can say
Holy crap, it's Cernob! Now... Let's see if I can translate that...

There's nothing majorly wrong with the MS:C Master Server system that I can think of (*MS Central/FN). The problems we do have are a result of limitation of the character size, and that limitation applies to server and client side characters as well. So, I see no point in that... Especially if it requires client side software, then it's far less efficient.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
fairly sure he means a serverside amx plugin that grabs the .char files and uploads them to a central database, where they are then sent out every once in awhile...

just stop that project now though, the bug with the master server isn't an actual bug WITH the master server, it happens on a serverside one too if you grab all the chars from FN...

theres a solution to the problem, but you guys wont like it ;)

much of the FN database is oooold people that played for a day and quit because they got bored or some such. a workaround for the problem, i suggest implementing a system to delete old inactive characters (with a 3 month limit or some such, that sounds reasonable). i also suggest implementing a feature in it to stop it from deleting any characters you dont want gone, like someone is going on vacation and they can request a 'lock' on thier character, so it isn't gone when they get back...and also apply it to all of your STEAM_ID_PENDING thingies...and of course the "cheated_name" files...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ummm... Why would we need it to delete old characters? I mean, the whole damn database zips to like a 1MB right now.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
because thothie...

when you make your server into a serverside saving system ...map transitions WORK, and they continue to work for quite a while until a large buildup of characters (Such as the one in FN) gets on your server...at which point it starts to crash when you transition...

i might test it a little bit more, but im fairly certain thats what it is :\

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nah, I've got the whole FN database on my server-side char test server, and it transitions fine... Most of the time... It only loads the characters in play - not the whole FN database (otherwise you'd have to wait forever and a half everytime you connected to FN). Only certain combinations of characters are incompatible.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i wonder why certain characters are incompatible...perhaps its the items they carry, or the titles they have?

edit: or thier .char's file size :eek:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The latter would be my guess. There maybe some sort of memory 'gap' - I've not looked close into that bit of the code - or most of the code in general, as I've still got no compile going.

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:oldshock: Oh i didnt know that i just recognized when i tested own MASTER SERVER that there is some kind of LAG when characters being uploaded, and at forums i time to time saw some post about LOST CHARACTER :? so i think this should works properly coz characters are small (1-3KB) and line is "big" (fast-upload around 30KB) so if you run 6-8people server it should be done in sec (depends of code), i tested backup software and it works properly,i see minus of this system of forcing client to install client side, but it should be combined with UPDATER and maybe SERVER LIST.I see point in this soft in that client could backup his char by one click :roll:, anyways im not sure about fixing bugs and "save lags".
Ya and almost forgot this system dont need to run MASTER SERVER, we just need WEBSPACE and FREE MYSQL database.
About that AMX ya i tought about kind of AMX plugin but other way could be server side soft.
Ya im still here but just reading posts and updating MS:C ;) gj Thothie (Thothie isnt answer for last riddle :'( )

Cerno
PS: Sry for my (still) bad english, especialy long sentences :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think a lot of the "lag" is from having to encrypt chars and save them to .char files before they can be uploaded.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's a bit of lag spinning characters to and from the FN server when they first join. Assuming you load/write characters when players first join and leave with the AMX plugin, you'll get the same thing.

Usually the reason for lost characters, is players stacking up on too much equipment and breaking the 4k limit. This happens on client and server side characters as well. Characters with more than 4k (roughly) generate overflow errors.

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:( so too much equip is reason... And my opinon is kind of "network" so while you login into server and your hl will start server have time to download your char and you play immidiately... :roll: and during time you leave and login to another server.... this options calculate with CLIENT/SERVER soft, anyways this soft could be just rival to FN :oops:
I think i will make some basics and open topic about.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
If there is a way to encript the char file so no one can get into it but MSC itself. then wouldnt it be easier to have client side characters?

that is of course, again, no one can hack into it.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
P, that would require changing the char files...which results in a character wipe...

although, my solution for character wipe = make a standalone program to convert the old ones into the new ones, and run it on FN, then release it for public use.

(run on test version of FN first, of course)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
How would that require changing char files?

I don't see a point in doing that, though. The chars are already encrypted. I think we're more worried about someone using a cheat map or sending eachother chars.

If we truly wanted it done, it's just a little conversion in hard code:

If (something that only old chars encryption has is present)
Load old way
Else
Load new way

Then when it comes to saving, save the new way.

But like I said, it's kinda pointless >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If there is a way to encript the char file so no one can get into it but MSC itself. then wouldnt it be easier to have client side characters?

that is of course, again, no one can hack into it.

Ummm... That's the way it is. We can't edit characters, they are encrypted six ways to next tuesday - tis why when your character gets too large, all we can do is restore from backup rather than edit out the 10,000 pots you picked up.

SFAIK, the only cheaters we've had are from cheatmaps, not character editing. I've not seen the likes of the hacks we had back in MS 1.35