Is it just me or have we lost a lot of people?

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
The forums don't seem to be as active anymore and servers are a little low. Is this just the cycle of a product in place? We got the boom near the start of Feb, and we're sinking into the bad bit where companies lose monye. I thought the release of the march patch would bring people back but it doesn't seem like it.

Whilst I'm here, is there anything I could be helping with? Note I can't map, code, model, skin, etc... But point me to some tutorials if you want me to help with anything in particular.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the forums - but the servers are more active than ever. I've twice as many logs on my server the past two months over the two months before - frightning considering there's also twice as many servers.

However, for the past few days I've been noticing a lot of repeated connectors getting dropped, near as I can tell, by mis-matched client.dll's. I really wish I could change the error message so that it returns something more meaningful, as I fear that is fuxing us pretty hard for gathering new players. (Sadly, it's internal to the engine, near as I can tell.)

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Gah I can't remember what my reply said cos someone deleted it all. Anyway it was something about when I click refresh all I get about 3 servers show at once, and a different list will get shown everytime I press. I never get the full list.

Is there anyway to make something to say that they need to update, or put a big thing in the installer saying "CHECK THE FORUMS REGULARLAIRLARILY" (yes I can't spell).

So want me to learn something to help with the mod ;)? Always wanted to help.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Mapping, or coding... Neither of which are easy to learn. ;) I suspect it'd be months before you learned how to map well enough to give us something useful, and years before you learned how to code well enough. :\ Lest ye be some sort of prodigy child on crack. Still, months might not be too unreasonable.

If I can figure a way to pull the date in the MS.DLL (I've not had much luck with this) - I could make the server REMIND you an update is soon to come towards the end of every month. However, I can't make it tell you that you need to update when you get smacked with the Client.DLL error.

I dunno, maybe I could rig the client.dll to do the same thing with a pop-up when it first loads though. However, thus far, I've not been able to get date acquisition to work thus far (my first attempt failed due to pointer issues with the time_t functions.)

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Well I made a trap map for HL2, it was like 4 puzzles long, had a few traps (big corridor with a rolling boulder at one part :p).

So I do sort of know how to map, but my account name on steam is an old one, so therefor it means my account name is my email, and worldcraft seems to think the . in my .com is the start of the file exstension so it never saves anything properly, and it can never find the proper files.

I've always wanted to map, but never found good tutorials, any idea where I can find like a huge step by step thing to get me started?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, for starters, you should never have your mapping files in your Steam folder. Ye should move them to some shallow folder, (such as c:\hldev\wads or some such). This solves that problem right there (amongst others).

Pretty much every mapping tutorial you can think of is linked one way or other in the MSC mapping tutorial