improved low health alert

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I was thinking that along with the original red text on health.. can you make a sound play when health drops below that point? (breathing or a heartbeat or sumethin)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis a thought... Sticky bit being sending a sound to the client via his client script, and making sure he's the only one that hears it.

Although, in terms of aiding other players, it might also be good to increase the frequency or type of pain sounds players make when they get below the 20% maxhp mark or so.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
*Slaps Thothie's hand*

Bad!

No scripts for you. SO much simpler to have it be hard-coded on the client. It would just require a quick check in the think code, possibly a variable on the player for a delay so you don't get overlapping heartbeat sounds. Plus a cvar to turn it off >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Okaaay... Although I think the pain sounds are already handled script side, not sure. ;) (Actually fairly certain, or our fembots would still be trannies, vocally.)

There's a heartbeat sound in MSC, but I think it's setup not to loop by itself. (Yeah, player/heartbeat_noloop.wav) - I think there's one that does loop in the default Half-Life sounds, but not sure (if there is, it's player/heartbeat1.wav)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Because the server knows when a client has been hit, where as the client only knows what its current health is. If at all possible, we want the client to do its own processing, as it doesn't clog the internet tubes by sending unnecessary messages.