Hello

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Most maps have pretty self-explanatory names, such as "The Port City of Ara" (ara) and "The ruins of Keledros" (keledrosruins). Others have names that might make you wonder where they came from.

aluhandra2 - I'm pretty sure that LittleFrodo was working on "The Aluhandra Desert". Rickler also showed interest in the project and I guess that's why he figured he'd make a second part of the region; hence the "2" in the map name.
b_castle - The "b" stands for Barnum, as in P|Barnum, the map author (also co-author of ms_snow).
calruin2 - "cal" stands for "Calrian" and "ruin" stands for... ruin...! Hence "The Calrian Ruin". The "2" indicates that this is a new version - the original calruin didn't have the fancy Garonhroth boss chamber.
challs - The "c" stands for "Charthane" so that gives you "The Halls of Charthane".
demontemple - I'm quite sure the Kharaztorant Cult wasn't in-game yet when AmIAnnoyingNow started working on this map and my guess is that he originally didn't know what bad guys to put in the map, other than a demon (which turned out to be Val-sul).
foutpost - The "f" stands for "Forgotten"; "The Forgotten Outpost".
highlands_msc - The _msc suffix indicates that this is a revamped version. The original was incredibly laggy.
keledrosprelude2 - The "2" indicates that this is a new version. Because this map precedes keledrosruins it is named keledrosprelude, although it says "The Dangerous Pass" in-game.
lodagond-1 through lodagond-4 - I'm pretty sure "Lodagond" means "floating rock", according to Crow (the author).
lostcastle_msc - Yet another revamped version.
ms_quest - Here's another map with a name that totally hides what you might find inside. Quite a few maps have names that indicate what kind of map it is (edanasewers for example; it's a sewer RLY). The reason it's called ms_quest is simple: this is the starting map of Cyax' "MS Quest" map series.
ms_underworldv2 - The v2 indicates that this is an improved version over the original. Truth be told though; there isn't much improvement.
mscave - The "ms" stands for "MasterSword", obviously, and the "cave" for... you get it.
orcplace2_beta - A semi-revamp. The original orcplace was incredibly laggy and this "2" remake is still only in beta, probably because noone ever goes there anyway.
sfor - This is the only map name I never managed to figure out. In-game in transition areas to sfor, you either see "The dark forest" or "The haunted forest". The "for" part is obviously short for "forest" but I can't figure out what the "s" means. Maybe someone else knows.
unrest2_beta1 - The original unrest2 had a garbage monster layout and this _beta1 version sort of fixed that.
ww1, ww2b and ww3d - Originally these maps were just called ww1, ww2 and ww3 ("ww" stands for "World Walker") but the second and third maps went through Thothie's bugfix procedure (tm) so they had their names changed.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Most maps have pretty self-explanatory names, such as "The Port City of Ara" (ara) and "The ruins of Keledros" (keledrosruins). Others have names that might make you wonder where they came from.

aluhandra2 - I'm pretty sure that LittleFrodo was working on "The Aluhandra Desert". Rickler also showed interest in the project and I guess that's why he figured he'd make a second part of the region; hence the "2" in the map name.
b_castle - The "b" stands for Barnum, as in P|Barnum, the map author (also co-author of ms_snow).
calruin2 - "cal" stands for "Calrian" and "ruin" stands for... ruin...! Hence "The Calrian Ruin". The "2" indicates that this is a new version - the original calruin didn't have the fancy Garonhroth boss chamber.
challs - The "c" stands for "Charthane" so that gives you "The Halls of Charthane".
demontemple - I'm quite sure the Kharaztorant Cult wasn't in-game yet when AmIAnnoyingNow started working on this map and my guess is that he originally didn't know what bad guys to put in the map, other than a demon (which turned out to be Val-sul).
foutpost - The "f" stands for "Forgotten"; "The Forgotten Outpost".
highlands_msc - The _msc suffix indicates that this is a revamped version. The original was incredibly laggy.
keledrosprelude2 - The "2" indicates that this is a new version. Because this map precedes keledrosruins it is named keledrosprelude, although it says "The Dangerous Pass" in-game.
lodagond-1 through lodagond-4 - I'm pretty sure "Lodagond" means "floating rock", according to Crow (the author).
lostcastle_msc - Yet another revamped version.
ms_quest - Here's another map with a name that totally hides what you might find inside. Quite a few maps have names that indicate what kind of map it is (edanasewers for example; it's a sewer RLY). The reason it's called ms_quest is simple: this is the starting map of Cyax' "MS Quest" map series.
ms_underworldv2 - The v2 indicates that this is an improved version over the original. Truth be told though; there isn't much improvement.
mscave - The "ms" stands for "MasterSword", obviously, and the "cave" for... you get it.
orcplace2_beta - A semi-revamp. The original orcplace was incredibly laggy and this "2" remake is still only in beta, probably because noone ever goes there anyway.
sfor - This is the only map name I never managed to figure out. In-game in transition areas to sfor, you either see "The dark forest" or "The haunted forest". The "for" part is obviously short for "forest" but I can't figure out what the "s" means. Maybe someone else knows.
unrest2_beta1 - The original unrest2 had a garbage monster layout and this _beta1 version sort of fixed that.
ww1, ww2b and ww3d - Originally these maps were just called ww1, ww2 and ww3 ("ww" stands for "World Walker") but the second and third maps went through Thothie's bugfix procedure (tm) so they had their names changed.

Alright, I see some where named after the authors, but what im curiuse about the most is Lodagond, since it MEANS floating rock it must like come from something, is it like latin or something like that?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
[WTF's w/ Sfor?]

The only thing I can think of is that the elves refer to sfor as "Eswen Meldanual"... And somehow the second letter got used for the prefix, maybe because the 'E' is silent or something? (It is also possible that the elves used to call it something else starting with 's', as consistency is one hobgoblin Master Sword has never had in its mind.)

As for Lodagond... It's not Latin... I thought it was pulled from Miyazaki's "Castle in the Sky" anime, but I think that's actually called "Laputa" - so in the end, I suspect it's Crow speak.

Only other possible useful info in this vein, that I can think of, albeit more technical than creative, is that if you prefix a map file name with "pvp_" it will automagically set the PVP mode to on when the map loads.

Also be sure to setup your map name and description in "Map->Map Properties". Folks keep forgetting to do this.

Rickler

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Sorry for double post but may I ask that do all MSC map names mean something? If so where did you come up with them? I basically failed language arts so I may need a bit of help coming up with names for things.. :oops:
I came up with aleyesu by entering "time" into a Cherokee translator (ah lee yee lee suh) 8)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Rickler said:
Stoned said:
Sorry for double post but may I ask that do all MSC map names mean something? If so where did you come up with them? I basically failed language arts so I may need a bit of help coming up with names for things.. :oops:
I came up with aleyesu by entering "time" into a Cherokee translator (ah lee yee lee suh) 8)
Ok, I might experiment with different languages with my translater, thanks :D

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Just don't give your map a very difficult name or you will end up with situations like this:

msc_Schmoopy_calruin2.gif

I have to add a little disclaimer here though: not every MS:C player is as mind-bogglingly dumb as Sir Schmoopy, but I think you got the point.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
^ :oldlol:

yh a good name fitting the map, that isnt so hard to pronounce and many letters like this example "ms_underworldv2" or "keledrosprelude2" ...

Translators sound good for a name pick for your map, you should pick a language related to your maps or something like that. :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Shadow Forest?

Scary Forest?

Sh*t Low-Poly Forest?

...The mystery continues...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Thothie said:
Sh*t Low-Poly Forest?
I disagree 100% when I look at the fascinating sfor parts you made.

Holy **** I actually gave Thothie a compliment :oldshock:
Eh... I deliberately made them low poly to match the rest of the map... If I was going to go off and do my own thing I woulda done reaching and looping roots that you had to climb under and such (albeit, also woulda taken a lot longer). I guess the lighting might be making them appear higher poly, but they are the same basic design as the rest of the forest.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How about this for the first castle name, Odio, Odio is itallian for Death. I couldnt find a good Cherokee translater so they might have a better name :?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kuoleman Castle
Bháis Castle
Thanatos Castle (okay, technically taken)
Kamatayan Castle
Castle Marwolaeth
Castle Surma
Kastle Kematian

...and of course...

Castillo del Morté! ;)

J

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Kuoleman Castle
Bháis Castle
Thanatos Castle (okay, technically taken)
Kamatayan Castle
Castle Marwolaeth
Castle Surma
Kastle Kematian

...and of course...

Castillo del Morté! ;)

Coolios, you tried Finnish too, although it seems a bit strange when the word "castle" is in English. Maybe if the word "kuoleman" was in nominative instead of genitive (Kuolema Castle) or if "castle" was translated too (Kuoleman Linna)... but then again, I guess I'm the only one who'd notice. :|

Btw, what language is "castle surma"? Surma is also Finnish but I'm guessing your translation comes from some other language as Finnish was used earlier. I'd guess Estonian as the languages have a lot in common.

@Stoned: Yeah, I kinda took "death" for my upcoming map, in Greek though (Thanatos), as Thothie pointed out. But I don't mind if you too use "death", as long as it's in some other language. :p

As for sfor, I thought it stood for Spooky Forest, like Thraxis said.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ill go with Castle Surma, is Surma hate or death?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Does it matter? "Death" in some Estonian dialect... At least it's easy to spell.

Too bad no one likes my Castillo del Morté idea... Just have to cook up a scattering of sombrero models and maybe some really large cockroaches... Oh, and an undead mariachi band... Come on! It would so rock! ;) How about a giant tequila worm for a final boss? "Sometimes you eat the worm, sometimes the worm eats you..."

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Watch you beeen smokin?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sorry, I was in London during Cinco De Mayo, and it just wasn't the same. Been trying to compensate for the loss ever since.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well it's been a while with school and football, but I can now say I have hoftbofh probably like 89% done, I got the mini-boss room done and I will now go ahead and work on the Behemoth of Hate chamber