Halp! (Need web hosters!)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The next full installer, with all 50 maps and every skytexture known to man (or at least, J-M) - is going to be about 345MB. (That's nearly double from our original installer's 180mb)

I may have a quick patch, to go from JAN2008a->FEB2008a, that'll be quite a bit smaller - but I figure everyone who's ever had any issues patching maps is going to want the big mamma.

So... If ye have web hosting service, or an account at File/shack/planet/hole - that can handle a 345MB file, any help would be appreciated! (MiB has already kindly offered the services of epic-name.com)

(Hell, if ye know someplace we can setup a torrent for it, that'd be great too!)

ALSO - if you are currently hosting any old copy of MSC - either installer or betapack - please stop doing so now. I expect to have a new full installer within the next day, and I don't want to deal with the usual hundred or so kids writing about bugs resulting from installing the wrong version.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, on the plus side, future betapacks should be down to 5MB again - for awhile.

I'm not sure what the JAN2008a->FEB2008a fast patch is going to come to yet, but I'd be guessing about 80MB or so. (Maybe less, if we're lucky - I'm trimming all the old stuff you should have in JAN2008a out.)

J-M's skymaps may seem somewhat supurflous, but those TGA's seem to compress pretty well, so I think it's actually only tacking 10mb or so to the package. The big bloaters are the music, sounds, and maps, me thinks (mostly the music - MP3's don't get much smaller than they are - but I figured you'd have to be a pretty dedicated player to download an extra MP3 pack.)

Oh yeah, it decompresses to about 700mb :oldshock:, but if ye look at your MSC folder now, I figure that's likely what most of yours are at. :?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Awesome. Also, can I make a suggestion that you make all maps like Lodagond and b_castle use artifact chests? Me and J-M can only count 3 that use them, and they're good to prevent ninja-ing.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I wanna work the last kinks out of the current ones before I move onto others (ie. give them a full month of rigerous testing). Barum's passes out two major items tops, right now (eventually it'll be 3). The layout's fairly predictable, so you can usually work that out before ye get there. Lodagond's harder to predict, tis true, it is on top of the list for new artifact chests.

I've been trying to figure a way to use that coffin on Barnum's to pass out the loot instead of a chest, but no go so far.

Suffice to say it’s the 1st now – so time is up for any complicated script changes, docket is full enough that I’ll be lucky to have this done before the second (but things are looking fairly good, barring the usual unforeseen catastrophe.)

Slaytanic_pb

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Using bit-torrent

It's easy to use bit-torrent to spread the file around, just pick ANY large torrent site (The Pirate Bay for example) and upload the torrent there. Then post a link to that torrent and anyone can grab it from there. I know I'd be more than willing to keep the torrent seeded for a long time to help with the bandwidth, as I use bit-torrent 24/7. Just be sure to make the torrent file that you're seeding is the same as the file to be web hosted and ANYONE in the community can help seed this. Just start up the bit torrent client (should start up by itself when you download a torrent) and "save" the installer to where it is on your hard drive and then you become a seeder when the file check is finished. If you don't have a bit torrent client, I'd recommend uTorrent.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Since epic-name is already going to be a source. I can use my File Front account.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
File/shack/planet/hole/FRONT - yes FRONT that's the one I was thinking of - the one that doesn't suck donkey balls. (No offense to any donkey's who maybe visiting our forums intended.)

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I could also Seed a Torrent whenever I'm not playing TF2 at decent speeds (50 - 100 kb/s per person).

Also will see if I can use the old family site that we no longer update and put it up there, probably not but doesn't hurt to try.

Liv

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I can put that instaler on my "unlimited" account until some admin wont have any claim.
"unlimited" because i have only 20mb but at this time I share about 200mb and some others users share about 1-3gb (since 4 years).
Connection is rather unlimited.

Edit(1):
Just pm if u need me.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
So I got 10 mbit upload today (Tho I didn't plug it in yet) but I got this server where I got could it FTP and upload it there foru2dl

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'll FileFront it as well, if need be.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'll get it up to ModDB once i get home today (assuming its out in about 8 hours, when i'll get home) - deleting the current downloads on there now.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
But, a torrent would be awesome!

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
alright, i've arrived home - i'll be waiting for a download link from somewhere so i can grab it and start uploading to moddb...

as for mikkel...and sabre.... why not have both?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I've no problem with both ;)
Also, why not finish Badlands? >_> <_<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
DON'T MIRROR ANYTHING YET Plzktnx...

There's some minor isssues with the full installer... Although the fast patch seems to be fine. I'll give a heads up when I fix the full installers - but I'm waiting for my server to die down a bit / others to crop up.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If you're still in need of linkers, I can upload about 150KB/s (nothing special, I know, so it'd take awhile), and have a very active filefront account.

To the idea of using a torrent... not enough people play MSC to make torrent upload rates acceptable.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MIRROR AT WILL

Ye can mirror the msc_installer.exe linked on the MAIN PAGE all ye want now. Post yer link here, and I'll add it there.

I'd rather not see the fast patch mirrored (the 60mb one), as it's only good for a month, and I dun want it coming back to haunt us.

If someone gets us a bittorrent link, I'll hook that up too - but yeah, may not be the bestest speed - but mods even less popular than us have used them.

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I'll make a torrent file, when I'm done downloading. Upload will be 10mbit!

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
DAMN YOU MEDION !!!

My server wont work no torrent file before tomorrow..