Half-Life 1 Alpha has been released.

Hakariaki

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Nice, havent seen a version that old of HL befor. lets all travel back to 1997 and play it :D NPC looked funny:p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
From the look on his face, Alpha Barney, unlike final Barney, knows what's about to go down. :mrgreen:

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ceriux said:
wrong its a different model format... it still has quite a few quake assets too.

Even MS3D can import obj files...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ceriux said:
wrong its a different model format... it still has quite a few quake assets too.
Not that it would stop us, but I think he was being facetious, with some vague dig at Little-G and his propensity for introducing ancient models and alpha fragments, like a crusading would-be mother, desperately trying to find a home for orphans...

ZPHn4.jpg

Not that I approve of ancient materials going to waste, but...

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
FER said:
ceriux said:

Even MS3D can import obj files...

i havent been able to find a decompiler that can decompile them. they're coded differently and i believe they have a different version number. they do not match hl1.mdl ,hl2.mdl,nor quake.mdl . however... i was speaking to the guy who makes this program on irc and he said he may be able to add this model type to that program. the reason i/he knows that this model type matches neither is the way he was looking at the model and learning how it works is through a hex program.

also, they actually have two different model types they're using. one is boned and one isn't.

i was also able to find out that they matched neither because darkplaces runs both hl.mdl and quake.mdl i tried loading them into DP they do not load. tried qme,quark,jeds and even that program that supports all current.mdl formats and none could load it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, throw me a model and I'll see what I can do for ya after the patch - just a matter of finding the bit with the vertex data and translating to an SMD format. Texture data usually has obvious headers. Little hex edit, little notepad S&R, and yer good.

Not that we'd actually use any of this ourselves, mind you.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Meh, throw me a model and I'll see what I can do for ya after the patch - just a matter of finding the bit with the vertex data and translating to an SMD format. Texture data usually has obvious headers. Little hex edit, little notepad S&R, and yer good.

Not that we'd actually use any of this ourselves, mind you.

would you like the whole release? its like 104 mb i can PM it to you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just a model would be fine, though I'm hoping to chain some patches out this year, and there's a lot of incoming maps, so I may wind up busy awhile after the patch too.