Gameplay changes?

decon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was wondering if you think the game should/will lean towards a game such as Oblivion/Dark Messiah or if the gameplay will stay mostly the same because I saw many changes in the way you HL2 compared to HL1. So, to put it simply, who thinks what gameplay wise?

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a clean level up system.

What I'm trying to do is add a "silent level system." As you kill more monsters, you will notice your HP raise and your weapons will hit for more.

I've made it clear I DO NOT LIKE LEVEL RESTRICTIONS!

Weapons will be eligible to be used at any time.. however, if you haven't killed anything and say your friend gives you some super item, you won't be able to hit anything. I say if you beat the entire map fairly, you deserve to be able to use whatever you earn.

Summary : A silent leveling system that you wont really notice (unless dRkill really really wants an entire leveling system. I'm trying to set it up so you do level with your class though. Say, if you pick, sword at the beginning. You will notice your damage increases more rapidly than say, magic attacks will.

I want this to be as realistic (while still being a fantasy mod) as possible.

defactoduck

New Adventurer
Reaction score
is that to mean no character sheet, number crunching, etc.? i for one appreciate and am interested in your novel approach, but is it gonna fly in this community?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i like it, but i think you should tie in your silent leveling system with weapon restrictions... that way it requires skill but the restriction shouldnt be u cant use it, it should be lessened attack power and obvious skillessness as in harder to swing the weapon correctly. which means not as many attacks in as quick as u would be if u were skilled in that weapon or "slower swings" and miss direction in your swings. think of things like that it would add to emersiveness and still keep it like "RPGish."

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
.. however, if you haven't killed anything and say your friend gives you some super item, you won't be able to hit anything (edit : due to the fact you aren't strong enough to do any damage)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Summary : A silent leveling system that you wont really notice (unless dRkill really really wants an entire leveling system. I'm trying to set it up so you do level with your class though. Say, if you pick, sword at the beginning. You will notice your damage increases more rapidly than say, magic attacks will.
In otherwords, the way it was in MSC 1.0

The level system used to be silent, we added notices by popular demand - ye may find yerself doing the same thing.

Weapons will be eligible to be used at any time.. however, if you haven't killed anything and say your friend gives you some super item, you won't be able to hit anything.
That thar be a level restriction, silly. Just one more along the lines of the way I wished it worked.

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I like the idea of a silent leveling system, or at least one that doesn't scream YOU JUST GAINED _________ to everyone across the world. A character sheet would be nice, that way you could see what kind of stats you've got.

I like the idea of your weapons restriction system. Makes it more realistic. A normal person can't go out and do uber damage with a longsword. They've got to practice with a lighter sword first, and then move up.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
tehrilez said:

um so? keeps newbies from using the weapons that the higher leveled ppl have, also y do u think u own the whole of the commuinty if u've only been here like a month and u can make textures and code, and maybe some more but still even if u do know all those things u still shouln't decide everything :?

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WeissberV said:
tehrilez said:

um so? keeps newbies from using the weapons that the higher leveled ppl have, also y do u think u own the whole of the commuinty if u've only been here like a month and u can make textures and code, and maybe some more but still even if u do know all those things u still shouln't decide everything :?

I agree with this statement, as well. I don't really come into the Source section much, but I do sometimes. I haven't seen anything about taking ideas, or asking opinions on your ideas for the game. I think it would be a much better way to go about it other than just pretty much saying "I'm making this game the way I like it."

I don't really mind, though. If I don't like it, I'll just continue to play MS:C, and won't play MS:S.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
'

Well, all i've seen in this section is "OMG MAEK MS:S JUSTL IKE DAKRM ESISAH!!

And they are weapon "restrictions"

You just won't see " WRONG LEVEL " you will see "Hit! ZERO DAMAGE!"

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I haven't played DM, and don't plan on buying it. I have played Elder Scrolls games, though.

I don't understand why people want MS to be a ripoff of some other game. If you want to play Oblivion or Dark Messiah, then go play one of those games. Master-Sword is its own game.

Anyways. How much different is the gameplay really going to be? Are you guys thinking about changing the game up a little? For example, something like changing the time period a little, thereby changing the storyline a little as well? Or will it still pretty much be MS, with a better look and more options?

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Re: '

tehrilez said:

Dark Messiah is perfect tbh, the weapon restrictions are nicely set out too, like a orc sword needs alot of strenth because its heavy, while the katana weapons which do critical hit chances, need more presicion, thus critical hit training. Also the blessed weapons are also set out nicely, u either stick with ur demon powers are u go to the church,remove xana (scary ><) and get the blessed weapons, i can't say anything bad about dark messiah its just so well made.

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: '

WeissberV said:
tehrilez said:

Dark Messiah is perfect tbh, the weapon restrictions are nicely set out too, like a orc sword needs alot of strenth because its heavy, while the katana weapons which do critical hit chances, need more presicion, thus critical hit training. Also the blessed weapons are also set out nicely, u either stick with ur demon powers are u go to the church,remove xana (scary ><) and get the blessed weapons, i can't say anything bad about dark messiah its just so well made.

Its also a different game, though. I like Overlord, but I wouldn't try to mix it with MS. I like Oblivion and Morrowind, but I don't want to see MS turn into The Elder Srolls: Master-Sword. Games are different for a reason. I really don't understand why people are trying to push DM onto this mod. I've really got to ask all of the people suggesting it..are you playing the right game? If you like DM that much, why not go create custom content for it, instead of trying to turn MS into it.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i dont think they want to turn ms into DM but to take some of the ideas from DM and incorporate them into ms such as attack system... make it similar because for a first person rpgish game it was FUN . im guessing thats what mean take out some of the FUN elements from the other games and emulate them into ms rather than pretty much what im guessing u guys are thinking they mean " make it exactly like that game, or this game."

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with ceriux. DM has a great fighting system and good weapon restrictions. My only beef with that game was the linearity. The fix? Master Sword.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
DM also has a team.

They also sell their mod (It's a mod for the simple fact it runs on the HL2 Engine, other than that its pretty much a seperate game) and their team members get paid.

I doubt we will be able to find anyone willing to script a system like DM in MS:S for free.

defactoduck

New Adventurer
Reaction score
and despite all that, dark messiah still managed to be insufferably childish

rilez my dear man, who is our actual team leader for mss? you? drkill? is there a design doc? should there perhaps be some sort of... closed forum?

decon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
so I guess from what I have read, we may get some features from DM but MS:S will still be MS:C just with the added abilities of LUA and Source at it's disposal

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I doubt we will be able to find anyone willing to script a system like DM in MS:S for free.
Hell, I'd do it for MSC for free, if it were possible... and I had some clue as to what it was, never having played it and all. ;)

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
It won't have LUA.

And it won't have many, if ANY features of DM.

boring, dark messiah has the best fighting style and special attacks, at least add the kick, <3 kick

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
It won't have LUA.

That's ashame. They're doing NS2 mostly on the LUA.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I like the leveling system for Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

You choose a class, or make your own custom class where you select a set of primary skills. You only level up when these skills are raised, but you are free to raise any skill you want.

Also...

I DO NOT WANT WEAPON RESTRICTIONS!

And a system where the weapon "does less damage" or is less effective is not necessary. If you are weak and you pick up a good weapon, you WILL do less damage at the beginning simply because you aren't skilled enough.

Example:

Level 20 swordsmanship with a perfect skullbalde Accurate, and High damage!

level 1 swordmanship w/ a perfect skullblade highly inaccurate, low damage, and drains all stamina to prevent from retreating.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
tehrilez said:
It won't have LUA.

That's ashame. They're doing NS2 mostly on the LUA.

It won't have lua due to the fact :

1) I have no clue on how to implement it.
2) Unless someone teaches me encryption, people could also edit the lua scripts for l33t items.