Finding Central Servers

Rauell

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I just thought about something, There should be a way for you to Search for all Ms Central Servers currently active, or a Automatic tagging of what central server its connected to on the hostname, or SOMETHING that will get one central server More populated...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So far all we've worked out is that thine central servers are to put [FN] in their name.

Sadly, Fuznet seems to have run into issues... (I type this, as I beat my head into my monitor for not making Fuzzyfish have me host the backup server).

*hopefully* [FN] will get back on the air, properly, soon... Otherwise, I may look into opening a new network - something I'd really rather not do.

Once [FN] does get back, it should stay on the air and stable for quite some time... And if Fuzzy moves again, I'll make sure at least 3 different server hosts have the character database, and host the backup server myself.

Really though, since the client has to grab the character info anyways, it seems that Central characters should be saved some bloody place on the client - so, if the Central server host suddenly picks up a crack addiction, is kidnapped by aliens, or otherwise put out of the way - the clients dependent on that network should NOT lose their characters - and should be able to port to a new network, should one be inclined to take them in.

There should be, for instance, a SAVE folder with a stripped version of the central server IP... So for Fuznet it would be:
Code:
SAVE/cboat-mine-nu-5711/save1.char
etc.

This also would solve problems of needing characters to test maps with... I came *this* close to making a cheat map just so I'd have a client side character who could test a map proper, before I realized I had a 69hp save char from a few days back. :roll:

Rauell

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I will have the ability to host a central server in a day or so Depending on exactly how much bandwidth it takes up..
Anyone have any ideas, will a central server use much bandwidth? Will i take much of a hit on my 3 meg down 256 up line?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Really, the fewer central servers the better. Less confusion, and more uniform character saves that way. If every other person starts hosting a central server - it becomes pointless real fast.

Rather give Fuzzy a bit more time to recover from his move - I'm sure he can get back on the ball.

Rauell

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know.
I was just saying, if fuzy becomes unavailable permanently, its very possible that i could run one.