Drop Rates?

darkdain

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I havnt played mastersword in a long time, but i've popped in again to go solo on its face and seek out these new places and items. I've killed a few bosses lately and have been repeatedly disappointed in the loot. The mad wizard gave me some nice spells to work with, and the goblin keeper/missing ring quest got me two perfect skull blades, but after beating the Fire Djinn for the third time, i seem to get nothing i couldnt buy from Edana.. When defeating Voldar, that poison leaping bastard, i was rewarded with the same hp/mana potion + Edana merchant item (in this case, a spellbook.) And finally again, i kill the Djinn and got a plain skullblade, best thing from him yet. Are drop rates related to how many people fight the boss or something? The early quests gave me great loot and now these bosses are being stingy. The last time i took up MS:C a couple years ago, i remember getting Sir Gerics armor the first time i fought that skeleton boss guy, have the loot tables changed? I really like how MS:c has developed and want to be self-sufficient as a can, and maybe start over with someone else soon, but will i never obtain the good stuff this way? :(

P.S. i got the golden axe from the quest, but im afraid it'll break on the first swing.. How can i make it unbreakable !

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ye are looking back in time with rose colored glasses. The drop rates are better than they've ever been.

Calrian never dropped DA, lest you were on a cheat server. DA had a 1 in 200 chance of dropping in mscave MSC 1.0. In MSC 1.35, it had a 1 in 200 chance of dropping in the chest at the back of Sfor. Now it has a 50% chance of dropping on <the map it is on> (+5% chance per player beyond one), and if it fails to do so, you get a random item from the "epic item" list instead, some of which are better (plus a Felewyn Symbol, if you qualify). [and I'm not going off memory, mind you, I'm looking at the script archives of the ancients here.]

Drop rates are affected by the number of players present, but among those items that had a drop rate at all, before we started that, the minimum chance is always the original chance - it only goes up from there with more players. A smattering of items (currently 5), however require multiple players.

Similarly, many drops have been modded to give one for every player, such as Keledros, who used to only give one scroll for the whole party to fight over.

As for the GA, when it breaks, go back to the guy you got it from for a refund. He won't give you one, but he'll point you in the right direction to reforge it into an unbreakable one. It will, however, cost a pretty penny.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
(plus a Felewyn Symbol, if you qualify)
SPOILERS!!!1!

Challenge of the day for non-developers:
Thothie said:
A smattering of items (currently 5), however require multiple players.
Help me figure out which items these are. My current guess:
1) Phoenix armor
2) Stormpharaoh's Lance
3) Steam crossbow
4) Orion bow
5) ??? (maybe Helm of the Dead)

Edit: Perhaps turn this into a Mastermind-esque game?

darkdain

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Whats DA? o_O Dragon Axe? i want! I didnt mean Calrian as the skelly boss, i meant the big one in the 3 map part gauntlet, forget what its called, he was probably Sir Geric cuz i got Sir Gerics armor from him. and 1000gold i think. I sure hope A Folded Steel Blade and Banded Mail Armor dont count as epic, because thats the best stuff these bosses have given me so far :( How many players minimum would it require? I've also had crashing issues with a couple bosses, the Tundra Bear God (5 seconds after i imbibe a cold immune potion too...), and Snake Lord Slithar, both have caused the game to crash.

aaahhh :D i had a feeling i'd have to break the axe to make it unbreakable, reforging it and stuff, but i didnt want to risk it until it was confirmed. Anyways, would two players be enough to unlock those other 5 items?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dark Armor (Sir Geric's)... But yes, Sorry, I was thinking even further back, I suppose. But yes, even there, the odds have gone up... From 50% or nadda (save pots), to 50%+5%/player+other stuffs. Not sure how you'd get a Folded Steel Blade or Banded Mail from that chest though. They are both on the "good" list (tiers being "noob", "good", "great", and "epic".) Like I said, there is no minimum players for that item - the min chance is always 50%. The chances for most items go up by more than that per player present though.

J-M said:
Help me figure out which items these are. My current guess:
1) Phoenix armor
2) Stormpharaoh's Lance
3) Steam crossbow
4) Orion bow
5) ??? (maybe Helm of the Dead)
1) Yes, 2) No (but hella unlikely), 3) No (but hella unlikely), 4) Yes, 5) No.

darkdain

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ah i thought you meant dark armor but the wiki didnt list it >< i remember when it dropped from sfor chest, along with the dark/gold helmets and the gold knight mail, was it really 1 in 200?? thought i had a few of each lol... So mostly what i need to know now, is if 2 people is enough to get all the loot, or is the minimum like 5-6 ?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As stated, the vast majority of loot can be acquired with just one player, the few remaining bits require at most two, however, the odds tend to be really thin for some items even with two. A few items are affected by the strength of the players present as well (mostly on the self adjusting maps, such as Orc_For or Catacombs). In such cases, two very powerful characters have better odds of getting certain items than two very weak ones, although the weaker pair will also encounter weaker monsters. (Although, regardless of player strength or number, orc_for is pretty swamped, as far as generic treasure is concerned.)

For many items, the odds go up nearly exponentially with more players. In some cases, going from 2% with a single player, to 100% by the time you reach 4 to 6. The game also always provides more gold and expendables for multiple players.