INFO Current Map Listing - By Difficulty

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MAP LISTING BY DIFFICULTY

I'm trying to get a comprehensive map listing in the forum in a few different formats. I figure this is the most important one for new players.

Mind you, final bosses tend to require at least three players beyond what it takes to merely reach them, and some maps self adjust into various ranges, or contain more than one tier within them, usually in fairly easy to learn, designated areas.

Note: If you see "beware xxx" the described encounter may bump the map up to the next tier of difficulty.

WIP note: Help me out here... As I suspect some opinions are going to differ wildly. MSC's lack of leveling system makes this sorting very subjective - though certainly not entirely. There's some overlap/fudge room when it comes to equipment and amount and type of specialization, and even raw skill.

Low (currently up to 200hp)
deralia (safe)
edana (safe)
ms_town (safe)
helena (safe, except during raids, where it can self-adjust up to medium)
ms_quest (almost safe)
msc_tutorial (can technically complete without combat)
edanasewers
thornlands (spitting spiders can be a bit mean)
ms_caves (empty, save for a thornlands boss spider)
gertenheld_cape
chapel (beware under the church floorboards)
mines
ms_swamp (empty, save for a few skeletons)
challs
goblintown (hidden)
island1
m2_quest
gertenheld_forest (beware of goblin cheif)
heras (beware of lobbing troll)
sfor (up to glowing slime forest area)
gatecity (above dzombie area)
mscave (beware fire shamans)
isle (beware lobbing trolls and hidden brawler)
lowlands (start of "Curse of the Bear Gods" series)

Medium (currently 150-600hp)
keledrosprelude2 (Beware the Ice Troll)
orcplace2_beta ("Curse of the Bear Gods", starts at lowlands)
smugglers_cove
daragoth (beware trolls)
sfor (beyond slime forest area)
orc_for (self-adjusts medium-hard)
ms_underworldv2 (crappy throw-back map)
ww1 (Start of "World Walker" series)
ww2b ("World Walker", starts at ww1)
keledrosruins (hidden)
unrest
unrest2_beta1
calruin2
highlands_msc ("Curse of the Bear Gods", starts at lowlands)
lostcastle_msc ("Curse of the Bear Gods", starts at lowlands)
keledrosprelude2 (Ice Troll Battle)
b_castle
gatecity (dzombie area)
lostcaverns
ara (long siege is long)
bloodrose (up through Slithar)
Cleicert
ww3d ("World Walker", starts at ww1)
idemarks_tower
skycastle ("Curse of the Bear Gods", starts at lowlands)
demontemple
the_keep (random final boss maybe mean though)
ms_snow
foutpost
oceancrossing
ms_wicardoven
islesofdread1
islesofdread2_old
Kroush
nightmare_edana (self-adjusts medium-hard)
catacombs (self-adjusts medium-hard)
dragooncaves
islesofdread2
bloodrose (after Slithar)
fmines (self adjusted low)
rmines (self adjusted low)

underpath (self adjusted low)
thanatos

lodagond-2 ("Lodagond" series, starts at Lodagond-1)
nightmare_thornlands
phobia (beware final boss)

Hard (currently 600-1000hp)
aleyesu
lodagond-3 ("Lodagond" series, starts at Lodagond-1)
old_helena
aluhandra2
gertenheld_cave
lodagond-1 (start of "Lodagond" series)
deraliasewers
catacombs (self-adjusts medium-hard)
tundra
umulak
kfortress
gertenhell

orc_for (self-adjusts medium-hard)
lodagond-4 ("Lodagond" series, starts at Lodagond-1)
fmines (self adjusted high)
rmines (self adjusted high)
undercliffs (self adjusted low)
underpath (self adjusted high)

sorc_villa (though safe, in some conditions)

Very Hard (currently 800-1500+hp)
shad_palace
bloodshrine
shender_east (self-adjusted min)
hunderswamp_north
the_wall
the_wall2
phlames
undercliffs (self adjusted high)

nashalrath (hidden)
shender_east (self-adjusted max, nightmare battle self-adjusts near-epic)

Epic
(various pending)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I think you are using the old hp scaling without taking into effect the addition of polearms and small change (?) of spellcasting (i recall you did one after the 2010 revive patch, cant remember what it was though, or it was something related with parry).

Basically what i'm trying to say here is that maps labeled easy with 200hp max, should be somewhere around 250hp actually. It's like old players with 600hp are actually played with 700hp nowadays, players with 800hp prior to polearms and SC/parry change should be around 950hp or so with everything balanced, etc. See my point?

Low (up to 200hp) ------> Low (up to 250hp)

-Nothing changes.

Medium (150-500hp) -----> Medium (200hp- 600hp)

- I'm unsure about Phobia, i see the map half medium and possibly half Hard (low tier, boss being mid to high tier Hard), samething with Thanatos (annoying birds not really that easy to deal with at that hp range unless the player has a brain and the right gear), bloodrose i believe you mean only "up to slithar" since what comes next is the dark mage and atholo, both easily considered hard tier bosses. Islesofdread2_old is actually hard, given the ambience being dark and hard to guide yourself through the woods while keeping the npc alive (unless someone is willing to stay outside of woods with the npc, then yeah should be easier).

Hard (600-1000hp) -------> Hard (700-1150hp)

-"bloodrose (after slithar)" should be here i believe, lodagond-2 is rather short and easier than lodagond 1-3-4 (i would consider medium), deraliasewers seems to be half hard and half V.hard (low tier) since this map can change a little given in the total hp in the server which sometimes makes the map Harder than it usually is (mummy's can be a pain in the ass for rookies, just saying).

V.Hard (800-1500+hp) ---> V.Hard (900/950-???hp, got no clue what is the max hp you plan to be achievable in the game with which cap aswell)

-Nothing changes.

Epic (i got no f*cking clue! And i thought V.Hard was max.)

-So what pending maps (no, not shender_east :roll: ) are these and what range is it going to be?

PS: Speaking of tiers, you could use tiers to classify the maps even more, eg: tier 1-2-3 in each difficulty setting.
1 being low tier (with chance of it slipping away to a lower difficulty setting), 2 being an intermediate tier and 3 being the high tier (w/ chance of it slipping away to the next difficulty setting).

Oh and should format the post a little more, using colors to show each setting for example, within said setting, use bright or darker tones of the color to apply to each tier, tier 1 being light colors, tier 2 normal and tier 3 dark colors, just another suggestion.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'll go over the rest of this when I get back, but I think you're right on about most of this.

In regards to the question, however, the final level cap is intended to be 60. So epic will likely be 50-60 (~2500hp), and likely apply to most of the black concept maps on the northernmost end. (Or parts of them.)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Damn, and here I was thinking that Epic maps would only be doable as a group to encourage players playing together. Oh well...

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Perhaps later on we can have "apostle" or ultimate tier maps for that... where monsters can be scaled much higher than a maxed out 2.5k hp player, similiar to torchlight, i think it uses a similiar system where it lets the player to max out at level 100 but monsters can be higher than that and make things much harder to accomplish, though this being ms:c, that would imply in having alot of hax included in the npcs. Like aimbotheadshot360noscopespeedhaxETC. :roll:

Also how can a player have 2.5k hp? A level 60 character is around 1600-1700hp, depending when SC gets fixed and xp values go negative shortly after level 60. A level 75 should be around 2100 (bit more with fixed SC), unless you plan on going over 75 to get that much hp... i don't see any other way unless the class system is going to play a role in that or a new skill (let me guess, it's related to the apostle artefacts?)

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Said I'd get to addressing some of this, kept getting called out today...

zeus9860 said:
I'm unsure about Phobia
You probably don't notice at your level, but Phobia is pretty mean. Don't get me wrong, it's a good map, but I do have a problem with the fact that, should you fail at Foutpost, you get transported to here, and here, well, you will get your ass handed to you in no time flat. All the orcs, and most of the mobs, here are of the meaner variety and have hefty HP/DMG multipliers to boot. And yeah, by the time you get to Clathain, you've bled well into hard land. It still pales compared to nearly all the maps I've shuffled under "hard" though. So yeah... Makes it difficult to place.

Lodagond-2 is a cakewalk after Lodagond-1, tis true, could drop it down to high-medium. Lodagond-3 is in the hard zone due to some nasty boss fights, but it's already placed well below Lodagond-4 in difficulty so, yeah...

zeus9860 said:
Hard (600-1000hp) -------> Hard (700-1150hp)
The first three maps under Hard are viable at 600hp, if a bit rough, even poorly equipped (speaking from personal experience). Over 1000hp is overkill for nearly all those maps, though, save sorc_villa in hostile mode, don't you think? When Lodagond-1 was released, no one had more than 600hp, but true, it was rough, and still is, even though the battle hasn't changed (if anything, it's slightly easier due to the nerfing of the lightning effect and the available equipment having expanded significantly).

zeus9860 said:
PS: Speaking of tiers, you could use tiers to classify the maps even more, eg: tier 1-2-3 in each difficulty setting.
1 being low tier (with chance of it slipping away to a lower difficulty setting), 2 being an intermediate tier and 3 being the high tier (w/ chance of it slipping away to the next difficulty setting).

Oh and should format the post a little more, using colors to show each setting for example, within said setting, use bright or darker tones of the color to apply to each tier, tier 1 being light colors, tier 2 normal and tier 3 dark colors, just another suggestion.
It's really difficult to lock these maps into tiers accurately, hence asking for opinions. It is a bit of rainbow even within the teirs. I'd have to work up a script to rainbow it out. I guess I'd have to from green to red, since yellow isn't legible on our forum background.

Regorty said:
Damn, and here I was thinking that Epic maps would only be doable as a group to encourage players playing together. Oh well...
Pfft, been trying that for ages. Just makes people bitch and moan. Suspect there'll be some of that in anycase though (that is to say, both the effort and the moaning).

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Weee colors...