Combat realism

[A]

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If a wild boar gores you, cutting one of your knee tendons, are you going to be running anytime soon?

If an angry skelton breaks your arm, are you going to be swinging so hard anytime soon?

I would like to see something never done before. I would like to see a damage area impairment system which detects where you are attacking and then causes damage according to the vital organs in that area, how much fat/muscle is there and what type of weapon you use in contrast to what sort of flesh the target has. Like-wise, if you are severely damaged by a critical hit, you should, normally, sustain that damage for some time (but way less time than normal).

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Bosses would become to hard since ones like Atholo would break all your bones.

[A]

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was giving examples; if your character is strong enough to fight a god, then he/she should be able to take god-like damage, right? I'm just saying that, with critical hits only, damage should be considered as cosmetic.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Oh no... A realism thread. Lets hope J-M doesn't see it.

In b4 sword of fire decapitating fire troll for 0 damage.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
pvk 2 is doing something cool i think would help to the battle realism in ms:s basically its directional slicing u should check it out on their website i think they explain it much better. there's even a video.

[A]

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ceriux said:
pvk 2 is doing something cool i think would help to the battle realism in ms:s basically its directional slicing u should check it out on their website i think they explain it much better. there's even a video.

Please use sentences. I vaguely understood that.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
[A] said:
ceriux said:

Please use sentences. I vaguely understood that.

<3

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
Oh no... A realism thread. Lets hope J-M doesn't see it.

In b4 sword of fire decapitating fire troll for 0 damage.
Too late.

According to a lot of people around here, realism would seriously damage the mod, because certain weapons would actually be useful.
Examples:

Ice blades would actually be able to damage ice monsters.
It would actually be possible to hit non-unholy monsters with the golden axe.

I'd love to see this in-game, accompanied with a Dark Messiah-esque combat system, but apparently the stupid ass hit-and-roll system, combined with ice elementals being immune to razor sharp ice blades, is somehow 'better'.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
In other words: He only wants realism that's to his advantage, rather than a magic system that has logic of its own. ;)

I would very much like to see the roll-to-hit system go bye-bye though. Problem is, I suspect you'll need to give monsters the ability to dodge to compensate. And that means pretty sophisticated animations and movement.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I seriously do not see the logic in a magical blunt weapon not damaging certain monsters that possess the same magic.

Thothie, if you ever get ice powers, and I bash your skull in with an ice hammer or whatever, you think you won't get hurt?
(woah did I just really type that?)

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Two objects of the same material will damage each other. That being said, would you rather have a broken iceblade, or temporarily use a different weapon for the encounter.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The blade is comprised of cold magic, not at all natural to the world and therefore not entirely a part of it. It cannot affect materials attuned to that element by natural causality, and thus passes through them. [/Terry Pratchett]

Granted, it’s more about game balance and forcing ye to hunt about more weapons than realism. Just saying – IT’S FRIGGEN MAGIC. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Explaination 1: The object you're using, let's say ice blade, is covered with ice magic, meaning the ice magic extends beyond the blade. When you attack an ice creature, the ice magic hits first and is deflected before the creature is hit by metal.

Explaination 2: The ice magic heals the creature and nullifies what damage you do.

Explaination 3: You're playing in a game with magic. Quit trying to make things make sense.

Explaination 4: Seriously.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I would go with a combo of 3 and 4.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I always found it odd monsters of the elements are immune not only to thier own element, but to the opposing element as well. In any game i've ever played, the opposing element does more damage then other elements.

Though I have a vague memory of this being discussed/explained already.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Only a few very powerful monsters are immune to their opposing element. (Greater Elementals, Ice Bone Lord, Ice Reavers etc).

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Oh boy, combat realism.

Yeah, show me one game that has combat realism. You know what's not fun? Having to wait in a sickbed for six to eight weeks while your character's broken limbs heal and hope you don't die from various infections brought on by the less-than-modern medical attention you received from the old lady with no teeth who found your nearly lifeless body at the bottom of a ravine.
And then you die.. OF A COLD.

Oh, yeah, and another thing to add to the "why iceblades don't hurt ice creatures even though they're blades" debacle: Perhaps the ice is regenerating the creature as it touches it, balancing out any damage you would have done to it physically with magical healing? How bout that?

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Explaination 2: The ice magic heals the creature and nullifies what damage you do.

Orly?

I don't care to much for the lawl need more realism for an unrealistic game but I don't think Skellies get healed from the "elemental" ice damage, or is that 2-5 damage (Which is actually "ice") from the super jagged GiB? :)

Either A) Blatantly point out that the weapon isn't a solid, but that element taking the shape OF a sword (Which sounds stupid in my opinion)
Or B) Actually add physical damage (OMG LIKE THE DARKMAUL! But more frequent :S)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:

Lanethan said:
Oh, yeah, and another thing to add to the "why iceblades don't hurt ice creatures even though they're blades" debacle: Perhaps the ice is regenerating the creature as it touches it, balancing out any damage you would have done to it physically with magical healing? How bout that?

:|

Tetsmega1

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
Realism in a fantasy RPG.

Hmm....

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You gained some cool points earlier, but you just completely dashed them across the rocks like a baby's head.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Necroposter.

Fixed. A friendly advice, next time you feel like posting in a thread, check the date of the last post. If it's older than two weeks (according to MIB) your post will be considered a necropost. :wink:

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Comparing to 2 weeks is meh... You've gotta FEEL it! :p

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Jelly said:
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
Necroposter.

Fixed. A friendly advice, next time you feel like posting in a thread, check the date of the last post. If it's older than two weeks (according to MIB) your post will be considered a necropost. :wink:

Uh, I could of sworn it was Tetsmega1 who necroposted? :|