Beta Worldmap Discussion

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I had an idear for the nightmare door location in Edana, a little harder to get to than that.

I try to keep people out of Edana once they train past 5th level though. I had such a hard time getting my server out of Edana back in MS 1.35 that I'm just really sick of hte place.

As for transitions in that room. If you have maps, I can add them. Wouldn't be the first time I've stuck transitions in the healing room at Edana.

nightmare_edana was next on my list of nightmare maps to do, but I seriously doubt I can get to it this month.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I'll see if I can cook up something for that room, I don't want to let it go to the dogs. Maybe an "under the temple of balance" thing? Lots of sealed away beasties and such? Let me know if any of what I toss on here strikes your fancy.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Maybe nightmare_thornlands should be accessible from within the Temple on Edana? It is considered a place of Hell, no? So, have the Temple grant access to "Hell" maps, through perhaps a new secret door?? Then, you could also make a special item required to get through that door :D

Like, a Golden Ring or Felewyn's Ring of Light or whatever could be required to gain access to a secret room with "portals to plains of hell" (aka nightmare_thornlands) :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I dislike the idea of hell, since these are just maps after Undamael comes back.

How about instead, there's an NPC called "The Orcale" that stands near the transition and asks if you would like a glimpse into the future (Of course, with better dialogue and such =\).

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
That could be nice... or we could use the Temple as I mentioned (since an Oracle is probably a holy-man located in the Temple) :D

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
How about, a bedroom you can rent for a cash sum in the pub/inn in edana (only opens after paying an NPC), inside this bedroom there are beds, one bed is glowing, you click on it and it says something like "you drift off to sleep"

The screen fades to black, and everyone in that room gets teleported to a pitch black room, like the one with the alien slaves in HL when the experiement goes wrong.

Inside this dark place is a teleporter gate, a dark voice says "enter your nightmare, the return of Undamel"

Then doing so takes you to nightmare_thornlands.

Inside the room, would also be the bed you pressed to get to where you are, clicking it again, takes you back to the bedroom, as though you have woken.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the original idea was that you'd have a key for each nightmare map, and that each nightmare map would have a client-side door hidden on its non-nightmare counterpart, that would render only to the client who had the key, and he could use said door to start a vote for the nightmare map.

I like the bedroom idea for maps that have beds in them... nightmare_deralia and nightmare_helena maybe. I'd have to rig something up that the glow only appears if you have more than XXX hp or some such though. Part of the idea with the keys is that I didn't want nubs accidentally traveling to the nightmare maps. I suppose I can work that out for nightmare_thornlands too - even if the bed is breakable.

I'll have to add the newer nightmare maps to the gauntlet system so you actually have to go get the item / find the door/trigger. I think I leave nightmare_thornlands open though, just as a teaser for the others, if nothing else.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I like the idea of having rings or something and going to the Temple in Edana... of course it is my idea so why the hell wouldn't I like it? :oldlol:

Raptor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm considering finishing the swamp map I started... I'm guessing if there's no other place for it (And I'm hoping there will be) it'll be Hunderswamp, complete with area "that may lead to a dungeon called Cacaron"...

I want a new area for mine if possible, if not, tell me what level it should be, what type of monsters and how many, etc.

Keep in mind I *might* actually do this, there's a good chance I won't, especially if I can't make an entirely new map (as in, a second swamp on the world map)... If I make my own it'll be mid-level - probably few, if any boss mobs, but some chests that spawn after waves of enemies (none of which containing rare items like dark armor or anything, maybe a 1 in 4 chance of a random hugger dagger or something, with higher qualities being even more rare etc.).

Short version: Can I get my own swamp area on the world map? If not, what level will Hunderswamp be, what kind of mobs in it, how many, and will that dungeon that "may be there" actually be there? (I'll have the source obviously, so it could always be updated to have the transition for it - don't expect me to make that dungeon)

EDIT: wouldn't mind making a nightmare version of that map either :p
Expect it to either be insanely hard, even compared to the thornlands version, or much, MUCH easier... I never can gauge the difficulty of any NPC in any game properly, especially how many to use without making them impossible or lagging the server etc.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Im still working on the unrest map, but im so busy and the sudden lack of internet has slowed me down to extremes

except it to include whole new areas, with a whole new boss, the bludgeon king, and a proper start area

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
except it to include whole new areas, with a whole new boss, the bludgeon king, and a proper start area

good, nifty, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it better have a new model -.-;;, FINALYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
bludgeon chieftain sounds rather badly...actually yes i wanted a new model for the king, but for now its an oversized reskinned bludgeon, that probably will use a new script

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
wow...oversizing an already bad model...ow...it hurts...

someone PLEASE spare us the agony of looking at bludgeons and make a new bludgeon model :oldcry:

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
remember the sexy outfit though,
maybe some nice female bludgeons...

now seriously, the king looks good when reskinned

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
define "good" -.-

a reskin can't help that model gurluas, it needs fixed...even I know that its got a horrible poly count (and looks like crap), and i suck at modelling.

making a bad model bigger, and putting a slightly edited skin on it isnt going to make it better.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dun think any reskin could possibly save that model. ;)

Can I get my own swamp area on the world map? If not, what level will Hunderswamp be, what kind of mobs in it, how many, and will that dungeon that "may be there" actually be there? (I'll have the source obviously, so it could always be updated to have the transition for it - don't expect me to make that dungeon)

I dun want the proposed world map to be restricting mappers, so if you can think of a place to squeeze some swampland in, we'll work it out... There's nothing saying that Hunderswamp can't be made up of more than one map either - I think even Gaz has been toying with the idea of making one. Note, that, I do want as many potential transitions as you can stick into a place, as it helps ease expanding of the world later.

Hunderswamp was originally in the 20-40's range, as should be evident by the map key, but ye can setup whatever level ya like (seems 30+ is popular these days). I think after Bloodrose is done (whenever that will be), however, we won't need anymore maps for those below level 20.

I have a whole series of swamp monster models on standby, plus the Borsh - which are supposed to be our puma-skin wearing, larger, tropical orc clan (lightning shaman ftw!). At least one of those swamp monsters is due to be released in December. I've not seen anyone submit a close-enough to finished map to make me rush the rest... But I rushed about a dozen snow beasts for Avzool's ms_snow map before it came out (actually wound up with more than he could use). So, if ya show me you got something worth writing scripts for... I'll... Write scripts for it. ;)

swamp_squad.jpg
Pending swamp critter line-up. Bottom front (from left to right): tube, piranha, trencher-beak, snake man, puma, raptor. Second row: swamp ogre, borch, swamp zombie. back: doom tree, shambler. top: pterry. far right: bronto.

note: Bronto and Pterry liable to wind up "scenery monsters" due to limitations in the model, but the rest are good to go.

PS. Some tips on swamp maps: I'd recommend making a very tree-choaked swamp, so it becomes a largely enclosed maze of live and dead vegitation, to make it feasible on the HL1 engine... and if you intend to have water everywhere, be careful not to use an animated texture on the water - as it'll tend to render everywhere.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Squirrel and I are going to be doing massive work on Bloodrose and Badlands this weekend. I have a week off coming up soon, so we'll probably do it then, too. Just FYI ;-)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I have Thanksgiving Break coming up; it is going to last for something like ten days (including weekends) :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
bad news on that MiB - parents want me to like...start resting? or something? before our finals...so you can't actually sleep over here...so, i guess you'll just leave at one in the morning then come back the next day? not really sure what the point is but..its thier house, so :\

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Wtf :oldshock:

Foamy/Squirrel you know MiB in real-life? Thought we were all simply nerdy, internet geeks who would talk only over the forums :D

I think we should all setup something like this one website, http://www.ragezone.com/, has. They host parties once a year at a designated user's home so that they can all meet up in the real world and see who the hell they've been chatting with over the Internet :)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
bad news on that MiB - parents want me to like...start resting? or something? before our finals...so you can't actually sleep over here...so, i guess you'll just leave at one in the morning then come back the next day? not really sure what the point is but..its thier house, so :\

That's fine, I'll just hang out with Husky and such. I also have to finish a Java project by monday, which is a lot of work since I'm taking the old, gigantic one and implementing a whole new OS >_<

Yes, Netrogor. We've been friends since about 1st grade >_>

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Some of those models are from Gunman chronicles, thats breaking the TOS (terms of service) thing if they are used, and they'll be told to be taken out.

The look more like jungle/tropical creatures to me, swamps usually have dark, damp monsters in.

I have a few ideas of what to make 8)