Beta Worldmap Discussion

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Some of those models are from Gunman chronicles, thats breaking the TOS (terms of service) thing if they are used, and they'll be told to be taken out.

I r not familiar with Gunman chronicles... I do have permission for most of those models... In fact, I think the only two I'm still waiting on an e-mail back from are from a 2002 Cadillacs and Dinosaurs mod that never made it to release.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You see any cars in that pic? :p Sorry, no Cadillacs for MSC, not even pink convertable ones. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I just had a thought for the nightmare maps. Instead of having a door on everymap, you could just have the Undamael door in sfor be the door to transfer to Nightmare Mode. Then you just transition maps normally. The story would be that you released Undamael by opening it, and the lord has moved to a castle (new map after you travel through the nightmare maps. Maybe the nightmare version of the castle Squirrel and I were gonna make >_>)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Can you please tell me where this model (the green dude) is from:
msc_new_monsters.gif
It looks so damn familiar, but I can't place it and it's driving me nuts.

Edit: Sven Co-op? The Mega Monster Massacre map?

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
These monsters are direct steals from Gunman chronicles:

cant_use.jpg

The current scorpian model MS:C uses is also straight from GC.

If its noticed that these are being used, you'll be asked to take them out immediatly, or face court :(

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i thought that game was long dead
i doubt they can do anything... and if they do we can take em out
my real concern is the "they hunger" zombie, because it is under copyright and afaik they didt give permission to use em

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
i thought that game was long dead
i doubt they can do anything... and if they do we can take em out

Its a published game, a full retail product. Sierra will charge a lawsuit against the mod.

Its the same as using CS Source content in a HL2DM level, they are seperate retail products and its against the law.

Concerns over the TH zombie? thats a free mod, all you need is permission to use it, which will more than likely be given if asked politely.

I fail to see how you fear a free mod, more than a fully fledged publisher and international law :oldshock:

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sierra doestn exist anymore, and i dont even think the creators company does and the game cannot be bought in stores anymore

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
How wrong can you get?

http://www.sierra.com/en/home.html

Its still very much alive, it was renamed to vivendi at one point, but then changed back.
All the IP (intellectual property) of Gunman Chronicles belongs to Sierra, not Re-Wolf software, the publishers own it, not the developers.

You can still buy the game, Ive seen it in many shops in the UK (granted the bargin sections) but don't think that they are nothing to worry about.

I'm not trying to spoil MS:C, I want to help it.... but publishers (they've fucked me over before (I work in a games company)) are wankers, and cling to their IPs like its their "precious"

I would recommend that we don't use those models Thothie showed at all, I can make a few swampy ones, and I intend to quite soon. And can quite quickly make a new scorpian too :)

Edit: You can see the models here:

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/gunman/info/enemies.shtml

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Gaz is only saying this stuff with the best intentions. And if Sierra can indeed sue this mod (which they probably will if they find out) we're pretty much ****ed.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know i just never saw gunman chronicles in a store since 2001
and i thought sierra was part of vivendi now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alright, all of the highlighted models have been used in other mods (in some cases, multiple mods). In two of those cases, I have people claiming to be the modelers giving me permission to use them (with no mention of Gunchron). Taking into account we're using the Scorpion already (for almost a year now), and we've not gotten any Cease or Desist Order yet, I think I'll risk it. (Never mind all the copyrighted stuff we have in our props folder.)

This is a non-profit venture, so we're not going to get hit with anything more than that - and if I get one of those, we'll just axe the mons with placeholders.

As for the, very difficult to see, Shambler in the back - it was originally part of the Cthulhu mod, but yes, Svencoop borrowed it for one of the SvencoopRPG variants as well. (Think they scaled it down first)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I really thought that monster was from Mega Monster Massacre and not from Sven Co-op RPG. Ah well, the MMM map and the SCRPG series are my favorites anyway (along with Toonrun, you've got to love Toonrun).

Anyway, nice model choice :mrgreen:

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
When i gave the renasaur model to evilsquirrel so he could give it to thothie i actually was thinking of using it as a hydra, reskinning it and making it fire fireballs,n, stuff, sort of like a boss

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, I really like "They Hunger", but their zombie.mdl in Mastersword... noo....
What about my beloved zombiemodel from dsa-hl? :wink:

Okay, I don't wanna kill your nerves Thothie :p
I agree with Gaz - no more Gunmanmodels in MS:C

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I finally managed to find DSA-HL, but in addition to the fact that I've still not heard back from the authors, the only copy of DSA-HL I can find, does not have that model.

I've got permission for use of the models from They Hunger though. Some will need heavy reskin to be applicable. That crouched over baby skele was supposed to be a snow-ball throwing ice ghoul in ms_snow, but Avzool didn't have any more room for monsters. :)

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why not make the baby skeleton be a lighthing skeleton that works as the alien slave from hl1?

a nice lighthing monster would rule

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Actually, GC was a standalone mod before it became retail, and the scorpions were in it then too. Not sure if that affects anything.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hmmm, idea for world walker series... because if it becomes an actual part of the world... kind of strange to have garonhroth there... he don't belong i suppose.... maybe a diff boss like the demon knight sir gedric or something i durno...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No model for him... Save maybe a rescale of that dark knight Orochi made back when, which would require a new script... But easy enough to have the skele change it's name based on the map.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
A word on map concepts, I've always loved ebodiments of elements, and since you've already got elementals in the game you could make an elementally representative map encompassing the elements role in the rest of the world. Just a thought, figure it woulden't be too hard to toss in as a portalin some high level element based map to challenge the avatar of said element.