Beta Worldmap Discussion

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
I already think this is a complete mod, it only has a few flaws that people easily find their way around.

Like forum spam from J_M and MiB's love fest. ;)

TBH - I'd really like to stop coding and scripting and work instead on mapping, ie. completing the world... But since I seem to be the only one who can do scripting/coding atm. Le sigh.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Like forum spam from J_M and MiB's love fest. ;)

You know as well as I that "love" and "J-M" don't belong in the same sentence without "to hurt". I'll kill your for that comment >_>

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
didnt we at one point have like 10 mappers? and what ever happened to foutpost and bloodrose?

*looks at evil*

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Weren't you and MiB working on Badlands?

J-M was working on Riverwind - not gotten any updates from him.

Crow's been doing... Something... (Something good, no doubt, but only the gods knows what it is.)

Be nice to have Avzool back, but I think he nearly killed himself making ms_snow, and thus, as I predicted, burned out. ;)

I actually unstickied the Mappers Wanted thread, as I figured we got all we're going to get (despite the fact that only ONE of those four maps is officially being worked on.) Mappers are pretty common. Good mappers, even, are not terribly unusual, but reliable mappers are nearly non-existant. It's very time consuming work. I think if I dedicated *all* my freetime to mapping, I could get off maybe one (from scratch) every two months or so.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
many many homework assignments and procrastination happened to them >: O

STATUS!

program 21: debuggin stage, due tuesday at 8:00PM
Visual analysis: T___T due wednesday
Computer Ethics paper: due wednesday (not started)

as you can see...my schedule is quite full at the moment :p

but of course...all thats left after that is studying for finals which are next week or some such...then winter break, and then you can all stop bothering me about those and play ^_^

plus...last i checked none of the other abandoned maps got released either >: O

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I think if I dedicated *all* my freetime to mapping, I could get off maybe one (from scratch) every two months or so.

yea but ur not crazy...

thothierabbit.jpg

... I suddenly take that back.

But yea avo died or something. as for me, after i am done with a map, i wait for a few months to a year and make another

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I *do* dedicate all my free time to the development of this game, with the occasional NS game worked in somehow, in case there was any doubt to my insanity. I do not, however, count the time I spend being kidnapped by aliens as "free" time. ;)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
no, thats just a day off :oldlol:

eirik

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi folks

Just wondering if there is any sand areas in this world. Sorry if this is written somewhere, havent read all the posts :oldshock:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Aluhandra Desert - Tiered into nasty, and very nasty, probably with a few insanely nasty areas in caves and such

Granted, not done yet.

Some of Crow's new stuff likes kinda sandy, if yer into that sorta thing. ;)

eirik

New Adventurer
Reaction score
aha, just wondering if you could use some of the stuff i produce. working on a sand city/castle what ever. its the good old dust textures :? . im no texture artist :( .

map2.jpg

map3.jpg

map4.jpg

map0000.jpg

map0001.jpg

didnt know you guys were still working on this mod. i was a mapper in the end of ms and the beginning of eol. and that didnt end well. unfortunaly :(

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
not bad at all

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah...you may want to bother (i mean....talk to... >_>) kuroneko about joining the MS: source team...and, while that map may not be big enough...i believe its a very nice start if you put some other areas into it...

for example, you'll probably want to add a bit more city - with marketplace included...if you need models for something, make a placeholder func_detail until you can make the model or find someone else willing to model it for you.

you'll also probably need some more desert area outside the town, rocky outcrops with caves...sand dunes...theres plenty of tutorials for making good wind effects in these kinds of areas too ;)

also, dont forget that it is a desert area, so any water sources would most likely be inside - or at least covered...get creative, perhaps the mages have been having a little fun with making water ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, yer too good for us. Better PM Lord K (Kuroneko). Need HL1 mappers on MS:C - you seem to have hefty experience with HL2, which would be better suited for MS:S.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Just to clarify, from the map. Hunderswamp is level 20+ right?

Caracon isn't on there (that I can see) but would this be say 30+ top 40+?

I want to make both maps, but I also want them to be enough of a challenge for the "uber" players we have atm, but not tooooo hard for the 20+s

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Those are just suggestions, entirely adjustable, so feel free to do whatever ya want.

I *really* think we only need ONE more 15-25 map, and I intend for it to be Bloodrose. And, if it goes as planned, Bloodrose will still offer areas for high end characters that choose to look for them.

The Venevus and Slithar quests will also both be level dependant, so they won't be activated by players too nub to take them. (I may work out a way to adjust this by the number of players on the server as well as by hp.)

So, if you want to divide your map up into higher and lower level areas, and have an NPC that only gives you access to the higher areas if you are worthy (via quest activation, or whatever), it can be done. I think I can even make it an invisible NPC, that you say, put in front of a door / boulder that only opens / breaks if it "sees" a player with more than XXX hp. (Basically, an entity that triggers a map event if a player with more than XXXhp gets near it.)

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hmmm... if you can do that thing that detects a players level or amount of players to activate quests... would it be possible to do the "Diablo 2" thing and have it so the more people playing monster dmg/hp/exp increased by a low percentage dependant on the amount of players?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Possible, but easier said than done, and difficult to balance. Dun wanna get it to the point where adding more players actually makes the game harder or nuttin. ;)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
not necessarily the number of players but maybe the average of the levels.. But then again that wouldnt really work if there was a lvl 2 in a room full of lvl 30's+

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Wicked ok :) I literally got some lights, and 2 models or so to complete in my PVKII map, and then Im free of projects, and intend to get stuck into Hunderswamp.

I'd also like to model a few new monsters for it too :) I have some cool ideas :D

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie...those maps you dont have sources for, i can reconstruct them fairly quickly if you'd like.

/me has found near-perfect decompiler

(decompiled heras and its running damn smooth so far)

EDIT: seems the decompiler is dying on all other maps, though...tried gatecity, kp2, kp, challs... no luck :(

but i do have heras now :roll: