Axes and Mauls, the logical questioning

charcolishen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Just a thought on the actual secondary charged attacks of these weapons... Why in the world does an axe send a creatures flying when swung at a vertical angle? Unless the animation was supposed to swing sidewards and wack the creature with the flat side of the axe, it just doesn't make sense that axe should have pushback when the logic of it should be that the creature is sliced in half.

In fact, I think mauls should be the ones to have a pushback charge rather than stun, since they're not about to utterly slice something to death and the characters dont exactly swing to merely 'bonk' something over the head either.

It'd just make a little more sense, no?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, the stun attack for the blunt makes sense... Aside from the doing less damage thing (I guess that was some sort of balancing mechanism, as your hitchance seems to improve as well).

The axe thing, I always figured you were plowing into your enemy in a bull rush (hence the 'pull back, then charge' effect)- why one would need an axe to do this is beyond me. But splitting the enemy in twain is not an option. ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, MAKE it an option, dammit!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think we'd need new models for every monster we have. Probably can't do that with a simple animation - suspect you'd need all new bones as well.

elfstone222

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Check Scientist Slaughterhouse, they have scientists that get cut in half, heads blown off, skin burnt away by acid... and various other forms of gibbing. I would love to smack an orc in the face so hard with a maul that his head would implode, but that's just me.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gibbing is easy.

Split in half, not so much so.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Could you engineer something that would gib the victim of an axe charge, if he hit a wall (cept bosses)?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Could, but wouldn't. ;)

Maybe rig something where it would gib the monster if it was KILLED by the axe charge, but I wouldn't make the axe charge a one-hit one-kill attack against anything in and of itself.

charcolishen

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, it's not that I was actually suggesting a one hit kill maneuver (obviously it'd be no fun), it's just that what's current seems a little off from a physics perspective.

But, meh. I don't run around the house trying to axe my mother in half every time she goes mental so I won't talk physics.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
charcolishen said:
I don't run around the house trying to axe my mother in half every time she goes mental

...what?