Avoiding Server Crashes?

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
I was just curious if there's any other known bugs that cause server crashes on artifact chest spawns, or if I just have rotten luck. I've heard and seen if you put a bag inside a bag, it can cause unpredictable behavior and maybe cause a server crash, but I'm wondering if there's something I might be doing wrong, and it would have happened recently. In the past 24 hours, I did a few keep runs, and a loda run. The nova blade boss spawned twice, and I was on top of listpoints both times... but the server crashed immediately after the boss died (and when the artifact chest would have spawned)... both times with around 7-8 people in-game, so I'm guessing it probably spawned a nova at least one time (or at least put something in the artifact chest). Also, on the lodagond run, the server crashed right after we beat Maldora (and reset to edana). I was on top of listpoints that time too, and there were about 7-8 people there also. All those runs were on different servers.

So at this point I figured it's more than just coincidence and rotten luck, and perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I don't have any bags inside of bags, I don't bum-rush the chest, and I don't know what else might cause it. The only reason I'm asking is because it would be aggravating if I keep causing server crashes by doing something silly with my character. Especially at the end of a map, heh... everyone else misses out on loot as well.

Thraxis

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
With 7-8 people there used to be (Haven't played recently and done the few checks that were possible) a ton of edict load. I'm not the authority, but with 7-8 people you (at least used to be) pushing the limit of the mod on some maps (Those with tons of torches, enemies, triggers, etc all eating up edicts). Have you tried the maps with less people by chance? (I know not a great suggestion, but could help limit the factor to an edict crash or a chest crash). Maybe someone with more recent experience could swoop in right about now/before you read this and throw up a better explanation.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Having "-num_edicts 4096" in the HLDS launch line helps, to a degree, with no free edict crashes.

As for what you can do as a client - not a whole lot beyond common sense measures: keeping spell flinging / summons / pets to a minimum. Making sure you wipe out all beasties in one area before moving to the next, ie. not rushing the map. Might help *slightly* not to use glow, and maybe put Felewyn rings away, as well as any other active items that have CL effects. And of course, find a more dependable server.

As for why the chests might be hating you personally, you don't seem to have one of those odd Steam ID's that came with purchases of DoD or CS, so I can't really say.

This is the most stable build we've had in a long time... So much so, that I was considering trying to allow stacking of DOT's again, but now I'm not so sure.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Those crashes are probably related to the amount of players ingame. Lodagond-4 rarelly gave me any problems except for the blue crystal room (which often crashes when horrors spawn and someone uses the ladders) or when the yellow crystal is about to activate (once the last bludgeon dies, the map sometimes crashes but not so often has the blue crystal room). The novablade artifact has been like that for ages, i got 1 recently alone with "genius" and server didnt crash, the novablade boss used to crash back then aswell with like 4+ players ingame after his death when the gates are opening, but im not sure.

miko2386

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Last day
i do lodagond 3 times
1 crash when maldora dies and dropping a tomahawk on the ground
1 crash in blue cystal

and server didnt crash at the thrid time

spelling wrong :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
miko2386 said:
1 crash when maldora dies and dropping a tomaworks on the ground
Or in this case, a tomaDONTworks! HA! Get it? Tama-don't-work... Hahahaha! Ha ha? Eh? Yeeeah.... >_>