Anyone watch Bleach?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jeeze... 139... Talk about not knowing how to end a story. ;)

I'm kinda sad that all these "gauntlet arena" style animes didn't come out when I was younger and could appreciate them... But for all my efforts and nourishing my inner Otaku the Bleach/Naruto/DBZ/YuYu Hakisho thang just doesn't do it for me. (Maybe a side effect of having picked up most of my anime shows from gargoilfriends)

Then again... I'm not so old that I can't appreciate Ikkitousen in small doses... Plus the current alien is a bit bi-curious (or somethin), so she doesn't punish me for watching them. ;) (16MB, NSFW... Basically Bleach on pantees with a bit of Romance of the Three Kingdoms tossed in for effect.)

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I just watched bleach, it didn't move... not for 32 mins! Then I got bored.

This is the under the sink bleach right?

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I like to watch my bleach from the basement :\

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah, i like bleach mostly for the characters... and when they finally do fight it is actually pretty cool.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
"No More Heroes" (Wii game). Its about an otaku geek who gets a beam katana from eBay and starts to work as an asassin, until he reaches rank 11 and is offered to aim for the top. You save by taking a crap

Pottymouth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I watch bleach.

You know what you should check out? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Fucking epic anime.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, little too "cutsie" for me... What have I been watching lately... Hmm...

anime_NANA.jpg

Every month Lady X gets a bunch of friends together and we watch an epside of NANA, which is basically a soap opera that is shaping out to be: Preppy girl meets Goth chick, and falls in love. We'll be done with that sometime in the next millennium at the rate we're going... One of those lesbians for lesbians flicks, I suspect, but those aren't all bad. It might be more interesting to folks who moved out long ago, as it centers largely on that traumatic transition between college and the real world, and most everyone my age who sees it can draw some comparisons with their own past lives, thus the appeal of the show.

fantastic-children_op_01722.jpg

Without the need to gather old school goffs from all over freaking SoCal, we’ve been also tearing through Fantastic Children rather quickly on our own. Seems to be a story about some bunch of white haired children, who are actually adults from another world, searching for their lost princess as both she and they reincarnate throughout time; however, their journey is wearing on them, and with each reincarnation they are tempted to lose their minds, and become the children whose body they inhabit, forever losing their true selves. Further the very fabric of the universe seems somehow offended by their defying death in this fashion and is bent on encouraging such an end by attacking them with painful memories that are not their own through shadowy forms called “Enma”. Complicating things still more: it seems that they are not the only reincarnated souls from another world seeking their own ends, and though some of these other beings are familiar, they are not all friendly, and at least one has begun to manipulate people into experiments to link the land of the living to the land of the dead.

DeathNote.jpg

We’ve also been watching Death Note, which is essentially about a cold, brilliant high school kid who gets hold of a notebook that allows him to kill anyone whose name he writes into it. If it’d been anyone else, this would have been an isolated murder mystery – but this kid decides he’s going to change the world with this thing – and starts writing thousands of names of anyone and everyone he thinks deserves to die, day after day, in effort to become the new god of justice in the world. But he has a rival, an equally brilliant and unconventional thinker in the depths of the FBI who has a very different vision of justice, and is determined to find and stop him, even if the pattern of murder leaves no rational explanation.

anime_black_lagoon.jpg

Lastly, and likely more up the general community’s alley, when the alien is not around and I’m too tired to code, I’ve been watching Black Lagoon. The show centers mostly in the city Mogadishu, amongst a team of para-military mercenaries with a torpedo boat out for hire (thank Bush for making that all legal.) Despite the “kick ass” chick in the title, the lead character is a young “in the wrong place at the wrong time” Japanese sarrary man who's about to find he has a bit of a shark in his soul that maybe even more frightening than the blood thirsty mercenaries that he’s just gotten mixed up with. As for Miss “kick ass”, she’s much more believable than most of those sort of characters tend to be, and isn’t showcased nearly so much as she is in the titles. The show actually starts out almost believable, but goes off the deep end fairly quickly – still fun though, with some relevance to the tragedy modern global policies have created for some, and a fanciful depiction of the criminal element they have spawned, from the Russian mafia, to the fighters in Iraq, Latin American drug cartels, to Afghanistan terrorist groups, and of course Asia’s drug and weapon smugglers.

My all time favorites include: Haibane Renmei (for personal reasons), Wolf’s Rain, and Junni Kokki (Tale of Twelve Countries) – but I dunno how many of those I’d recommend watching without a date on hand. ;)

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Blasto121 said:
best anime ever -> excel saga
/agree

Though I haven't watched that in a long ass time. Might have to downl-*COUGH* obtain it legally. :D

Nanite

New Adventurer
Reaction score
... episode 139 started to get good, and 140 was even better. It's awesome whenever Bleach reaches a high quality. Knowing Bleach, it will likely get better from here on in (based on what we've come to expect from such buildups). These eps might be a small glimpse of what is to come. Reading the manga would give the answer, but I can't bring myself to read the manga. That would just spoil it!

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
There will be 10 episodes of the Arrancar arc left from next Thursday, and the arcs usually get better towards the end.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
heh, just read a borrowed manga book of Deathnote....

wow, I am impressed and very interested =P

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ok, anime mainly sucks. Most things on TV do.
With the exception of Serial Experiments Lain (which was aired at like 2am on TechTV, pre-G4), and a few Miyazaki movies. I don't think I've ever seen any really good anime hit the American airwaves, save maybe a series or two, that was butchered by the dubbers... Save maybe Bebop - Bebop was done okay...

For the most part you won’t see anything on American TV that hasn’t been tried and tested a few billion times, and thus, is utterly redundant. This is doubly true of cartoons, as we make them for children, and we dumb down our own cartoons the same way we dumb down our kids in general. Cartoons made for adults and the elderly (that aren’t pr0n) are way outside of the box around here. We only air stuff inside the box.

On the other hand, while there are a few, truly rewarding gems of Anime on foreign television, there’s also a hella lot more of it, and it is absolutely true that most of it is crap, so it can take a lot of digging to find those diamonds in the rough, and you certainly won’t see them on TV. But there are a few truly rewarding stories out there, if you know where to look.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't know if you ever saw FLCL. Thats probably one of the few animes that have played here that isn't some martial arts thingy. That and paranoia agent, but I don't care much for anime... sometimes I'll watch what comes on AS but its mostly crap.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
I don't know if you ever saw FLCL. Thats probably one of the few animes that have played here that isn't some martial arts thingy. That and paranoia agent, but I don't care much for anime... sometimes I'll watch what comes on AS but its mostly crap.

Shin-Chan, while horribly stupid, can be mildly entertaining, especially under the influence of mary joo wanna.

And I <3 FLCL. OMFG <3 <3 <3

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Holy crap! FLCL! I completely forgot abou that :p
It's the only anime I've ever enjoyed.
This is, of course, coming from a kid who grew up knowing only Pokemon, DBZ, and the *horrible* Inuyasha. My god, I am so un-cultured. I don't know how I put up with my friends back then.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
can't wait until tomorrow!

bleach 143 featuring a new opening and closing theme!

SUPER WOOT!

(bioshock is super fun)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hehe, yea, I watch Bleach, too. It's a good way to pass the time when in extreme boredom... or looking for non-censored anime (since I get subbed eps).

EDIT:
And I know, Mario! Bioshock rocks! I've already beaten it (only once, haven't played it again, yet)... and I had opted to save the little girls. It was very fun. 8)

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I love Bioshock, but playing it on normal so no arrows for me.

This means I'm stuck in the Tavern part of Neptune's Bounty, god damnit.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have opted to save them, this is my first time around.

And I'm doing it on Hard... tho i still have the arrows telling me where to go =P

Only thing i wish is having a system upgrade so I can actually play the game on High graphics settings D=

Dual 512mb RAM
Dual Core 2.4Gz CPU
GeForce 7900 GS

SpiritVII

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I tried to watch bleach, but it really burned on the eyes.

I am blind now... seriously, I don't even know how I'm typing this.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WOWSERS!!!

i finished deathnote... a 4 1/2 hour marathon to the end is healthy right?
(pushed the couch over to my compy =P)

after watching death note and discovering what an anime can REALLY be.

also, i've come to the conclusion
Naruto pisses me off.

maybe its because Naruto depends mostly on action and "OMFG TWAS A LOG!" while the story is pretty much "GO SUPER SAIYAN AND WIN!"

and in Death Note its "How? Why? Oh I see! What now? Oh!" then when the action starts you get totally blown away. SORRY! NO FLYING NINJAS!

Sadly, 'ave lost previous drive for Bleach but at least I can say i like it more than Naruto.