1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could we get some news about the next patch?

Discussion in 'MS:Continued Discussions' started by Kamer, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Kamer

Kamer New Adventurer

Dec 9, 2005
    North Pole, Alaska
    It's been a while since we've had any real news about the next patch, it didn't hit the hopeful November release date, and there's some alpha testing going on that I can't find any public news/discussion about. Outside of that, i'm not seeing much information about it.

Could we get some news about the next patch: when its hopefully coming, what it contains?

2. TheOysterHippopotami

TheOysterHippopotami Active Adventurer Source Developer Developer DarkTide RiP

Sep 6, 2009
    Well I can tell you that the patch will contain at least 5-7 part free roam map series (depending on how you look at it) and also a remake of widely loved classic map. I believe (but am not certain) there will be at least two new weapons. Perhaps most importantly there will also be a frog in a bottle!

3. Thothie

Thothie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Okay, but just a little...

Things with asterisks* may not make it, or haven't reached alpha testing stage.

...also maybe Eswen Sylen by Father Brandon (creator of the original Keledros series). And lore books, lots of lore books.

And, hopefully, after that we can move onto the Svencoop engine which will allow us to apply the major stuffs that the Half-Life engine won't allow us to do (like weapon mods and the like).

(inb4 being too optimistic about cementing the release date in this millenium.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Kanta likes this.
  4. TheOysterHippopotami

TheOysterHippopotami Active Adventurer Source Developer Developer DarkTide RiP

Sep 6, 2009
    I can also tell you that there will be at least one very awesome easter egg.

5. zeus9860

zeus9860 Adventurer Crusaders Blades of Urdual The True Followers of the Lost

Feb 28, 2008
    Troll
    lolwut
    I wonder, is it possible to increase the level cap to 50 but nullify the stat gains from 46-50? Basically players could keep leveling to 50 but stats would be capped at 45, at a later date, when you see fit, you could increase the cap accordingly to the current difficulty tier at the time and players stats would self-adjust to the new cap.

Infact, i think this is a good way of dealing with the leveling cap issues, if it is possible to achieve. Release the max level as a "cosmetic" that can be earnt at any given time if one decides to grind their way there, and then have the game capped at 45.

If this doesn't work out, then perhaps increasing the cap 1 by 1 if patches are small, depending on the frequency of upcoming patches and the amount of content they contain, to justify an increase bigger than 1. So if an upcoming patch is massive, perhaps it would justify a cap increase of 2-5.

6. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer RiP

Jul 9, 2006
    The dodge invulnerability I pushed does NOT dodge damage from applied effects, as I stand by that being silly. You could always remove that if, though.

And I just realized I forgot the dodge to applyING effects, so will fix that.

Only things not on the list I can recall:
    You can choose your own glow color with ms_glowcolor "(RRR,GGG,BBB)", quotes must be included because the engine's parameter parser is dumb. Your glow ramps up to the chosen value (0 <= value <= 255). Visible to other players as well. This does remove the red tinted glow the lower-level players get, as it ONLY uses the given color. Should be noted that the game is not responsible for lack of glow if you choose a glow of black or some nonsense.

ms_showotherglow 1|0 to enable it disable the glow from other players

7. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Had planned to raise the level cap to 50 (knew I forgot something)... Not sure why one would want to nix the stat boost. Given how hard Oyster's maps (and Shad_east) seem to be, think the game can handle it, balance wise. Might not have any level 40 weapons in for awhile yet though, and the max level maps are built with 45 in mind, just, a bit cruel IMO. Dun think they'll become too easy at 50, just slightly less cruel. Not tested that yet though.

Eh, yeah, ideally, just wanted it to stop new effects from being applied - if ya got caught on fire outside of dodge, ya should remain on fire (just keep damage from damage types containing "effect"). It'd be nice if it only applied to negative effects, but I dun think there's a quick way to differentiate from inside game_applyerffect (convention on our applyeffect scriptnames is kinda haphazard, so you'd have to check against a whole list).

Also yeah, that, and a lotta other new features and fixes aren't in the changelog yet. And everyone can have their own custom glow color now, so you can make the gay rainbow team - which Chick-fil-a fans can disable via ms_showotherglow 0. (Also thanks to MiB there.)

8. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer RiP

Jul 9, 2006
    I believe he means it as a compromise. Let them level so they have something to do at least, but if the game breaks after level X, cap the effects of stats over X until the game gets higher levels.

Could be done, if you're into that sort of thing.

9. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Nothing goes too wonky until beyond 60, and even then, just aesthetic really, just don't have any maps made with that in mind. While the latter is technically true of 50 as well, I think we now have enough maps that are "really, really hard" at 45 that it won't break anything, especially if there's no new weapon tier. Will test it out in the next alpha though.

10. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Man, I got kind of excited reading this a few times and I had to curb my enthusiasm because its only a tease.

Damn, just happened again.

11. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Updated the changelog with some credits and more info (cuz of course putting it up made me realize how sorely lacking it is). I realize some of these models were actually purchased via Turbosquid, rather than 3DRT, but after I found out how dirty Turbosquid is, I'd rather not promote them, and I believe all those models are also available on 3DRT (Turbosquid pilfered them without permission, then added a steep markup.)

Also adding Underkeep (which may yet make it in, with it's proto-dynamic quest system) and fixing some of the map confusion.

edit: Feel free to bring it up if we're otherwise crediting someone wrong here!

12. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Just a guess here (and a little bit of my own curiosity) but I think OP might've been hoping to hear a little bit more "news" and less "what are we gonna get." So what's the current roadblock is something others and I might be interested in hearing if you've got anything to say on it, as it sounds like you've got a temporary, dirty solution for the memory problems if I'm reading the quoted changelog right.

13. Thothie

Apr 8, 2005
    psycho-oligist
    lost
    Well, it's what he asked - though I don't dare answer the first part of that.

Well, we got a permanent one (thanks to Solokiller), but still are right at the new wall. Can't do anything major that affects the base scripts (like Titles, item mods, or a new auto-balance system), until we move onto Svencoop as a result. As it is, we had to move the debug system code side to give us more breathing room (can thank MiB for that fix as well).

Mostly my health. ;) Beyond that, the aforementioned wall we're avoiding and a whole lotta testing, we're kinda moseying right along at this point. Need some new weapons and unique items (ya might notice the thorough lack there), some new quest scripts for Oyster's maps (which I believe are at least prototyped, and mostly just need dialogue). All of those tasks I believe have more than one hand on them, besides my own, so should get done.

edit: When the next alpha is polished up, we'll open up an alpha tester forum, and hopefully I'll remember to give you a buzz then.

Lucifer Majiskus and Kanta like this.
  14. Lucifer Majiskus

Lucifer Majiskus Adventurer Sons of Babel

Thank you for the transparency, we appreciate it.

15. Kamer

Kamer New Adventurer

Dec 9, 2005
    North Pole, Alaska
    Greatly appreciated. Any news is good news.

Any hope of progress in the alpha carrying over to live when it releases? Tried to get some friends to play the game but the crashes kind of killed their desire to play, so a hopefully more stable branch would probably alleviate that.

16. Kanta

Kanta Active Adventurer

Jan 24, 2013
    Level 45 Zauberei Basher
    ms_swamp
    Alpha builds aren't FN connected so I don't think there is any likeliness of that happening.