animation problem

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
problem.jpg

this is what happens when I compile my walking animation. only the middle part is messed up and its perfect in milkshape.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
never mind. i figured it out. It was a problem with the reference model and the first animation. fixed both and works fine.

If this model is done with proper animations. then I will make a map for him... a hard ass one

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
What monster/evil-doer is that supposed to turn out as? It is looking nice (100x better than current MSC monster models, no offense Kuro) :D

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well. its not a boss that you will fight in my new map.... :wink:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
By the way, about how mean do you want that thing to be, on a scale from say, Calrian to the Ice Queen (or beyond)?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
1. attack2 I want instant death (unless blocking with shield if possible)

2. Must always be fighting

3. Runs to player when not close enough to just walk

4. uses shield and shield walk a lot (by the way, i forgot to add shield_idle, Ill make that in a little bit and send it your way)

5. fast and damn near impossible :oldlol: . but only has 1 life unlike ice lord.

6. I dont know what he can summon yet. have not thought about it.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
animated armor's boss? haha

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
1. attack2 I want instant death (unless blocking with shield if possible)
:|

I could make it do say, 1200 damage, then it'd be 600 through ice shield, and between 100 and 300 with your shield up on top of that. I've not looked at this animation, I assume it is very slow or long - I'd like an attack like that to be something you could avoid.

edit: (looks at model) - yeah, that's INSANE fast for an instant death attack... Think you can arrange a powerup animation (maybe like the equip anim)... I can have him play that, make a powerup sound, and glow, just before he does that.

2. Must always be fighting
I can't exactly arrange this - he has to get to his target. ;) The AI is sometimes a bit slow to realize it's near a target, especially if it loses sight. It should attack as long as it can see its target and it's within reach though.

3. Runs to player when not close enough to just walk
All monsters with run anims do this (Ice Queen, like the other skeletons, doesn't have a run anim - they just kinda stroll). If you mean you want him to switch to walk when he gets near an opponent, I can arrange this as well.

4. uses shield and shield walk a lot (by the way, i forgot to add shield_idle, Ill make that in a little bit and send it your way)

I can arrange this. I think I can have him take less damage when his shield is up and/or raise his parry skill. If you want this to work with your "always fighting" request - you might want to make sure the attack anims come from that stance.

edit: (Looks at model) I'd adjust your attack anim - combine it with the shield_to_stance anim, and have it return to shield walk stance when it's done playing (then maybe just remove the shield_to_stance anim itself, as it'll be superfluous)- I'll have have him switch to shield walk whenever he's within 256 units of a player, then attack from that stance at 100 units or so. (Or as adjusted for his size.)

5. fast and damn near impossible . but only has 1 life unlike ice lord.
His speed is partially dependant on the walk animation you make. I can make him faster, but it affects the speed of ALL his animations in turn. If the server is laggy, it can look real bad. (Like you get with the Enraged Ice Bone.)

6. I dont know what he can summon yet. have not thought about it.
Horrors are always popular. ;) - although his summon anim looks ground based - equip2, on the other hand, would work for air-based summons.

I notice you have some sitting animations... You want him to sit by default until he sees a player, then get up, say something menacing, and attack? Or are you intending to handle that bit through an env_model? Either way, you'll need a sit_idle anim as well, if yer going to do anything along those lines.

I think I can slow his "idle" anim so it doesn't look so odd. He'll play that from time to time if he loses sight of a player.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I could make it do say, 1200 damage, then it'd be 600 through ice shield, and between 100 and 300 with your shield up on top of that. I've not looked at this animation, I assume it is very slow or long - I'd like an attack like that to be something you could avoid.

Well animation isnt what I would call slow but its a direct stab through the heart (or around there). But yea it would be a little annoying to be dieing that way time after time after time.

If you mean you want him to switch to walk when he gets near an opponent, I can arrange this as well.

yes please

If you want this to work with your "always fighting" request - you might want to make sure the attack anims come from that stance.

no I would rather have him doing one or the other.

His speed is partially dependant on the walk animation you make.

if that is how its effected, then you can leave it.

Horrors are always popular. ;)

sounds juicy. though BS already summons them. I like that animated aromr idea but these armors have to be... higher class

I notice you have some sitting animations... You want him to sit by default until he sees a player, then get up, say something menacing, and attack? Or are you intending to handle that bit through an env_model?

Yea that is for when he first sees a person, he will get up from his seat, walk a little, "equip" his weapons, then come down to fight

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need a sit_idle anim then. I assume you want that handled from the script end, as with Keledros and Slithar - rather than from an env_model - as with Lord BS.

I guess I can make him alternate between shield walk and regular walk every 10 seconds or so - but his attack anim is going to look very odd coming out of shield walk. It's not easy to get him to play the shield_to_stance anim just before he attacks under the current AI, and there is no stance_to_shield anim for which he can return.

I can make meaner animated armors, no problem. Maybe with some new elemental effects, and stuffz.

If you can make his summon anim longer, that'd be handy - as the only safe way to summon a monster (and make sure it don't wind up inside a wall) is for him to summon it inside of himself, and have it float away in a hurry, sadly. (This is why the Ice Djinn works as he does - even then, somehow, his summons get stuck a lot - but his summons are HUGE). The alternate method is like with Keledros - where you have predefined monster spawns. I find those work best just with monster spawns that respond to an event he fires from time to time.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well there is a stance to shield animation.. but its just called shield.

having him alternate between shield and attack would be great but not at exactly every 10 seconds. If it was like on a random (or seemed random) moment then people wouldnt know when to stop attacking and heal or something. (if you get what I mean)

He doesnt need a summon script or anything like that. Ill predefine his summons.

things i have to make/change:
shield idle, sit idle, summon (longer)

anything else?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
well there is a stance to shield animation.. but its just called shield.

having him alternate between shield and attack would be great but not at exactly every 10 seconds. If it was like on a random (or seemed random) moment then people wouldnt know when to stop attacking and heal or something. (if you get what I mean)

He doesnt need a summon script or anything like that. Ill predefine his summons.

things i have to make/change:
shield idle, sit idle, summon (longer)

anything else?
Well, what I thought was, he'd still be able to attack from the shield-walk anim - if he had an attack that combined his shield_to_stance and back again animations. I thought you wanted him "always fighting", so he'd attack from the shield stance position as well. ;)

You *could* make a seperate anim where he stabbed out from behind his shield at maybe a reduced damage, then you could have that. I just didn't think you wanted him to hide behind his shield without attacking at any point. But yeah, I can have him alternate randomly. (Just remember, random is a cruel mistress - if he can't attack in shield walk, maybe I can set it up so he counts down to regular run/walk faster if he isn't being atacked.)

Other than that, what you mentioned there, and a power up anim prior to the death-stab (although I can make that pure FX as well). I can't think of anything, but I'll see what happens when I put him in game. (His walk anim might not be defined right, or there could be other bugs.)

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
thothie i sent you an email with the new model/animations. i couldnt host it because filefront is acting up.

(sent to [email protected])

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Still no sit_idle. :oldlol:

I might be able to make on based on frame 28 of the getup anim.

Obviously I got that - but it's more dependable to send me stuff at:
spam (at) thothie.com

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
oops...

*sent*

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
maybe have set spots like keledros but spawn infernal anim armor... say 10 every 10 seconds, so on top of him being hard its bothersome to get to him ^|_|^

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
10 every 10 seconds? I want this hard not "system failure, crash, burn, melt, explode, shutdown." I will have him spawn animated armors... the mean kind that thothie can conjure up

bluezerosix7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
hahaha, just thinking of making it hard. give the uberhard armors some unneccessarily long range. after all they are essentially medieval raymans, and he could throw his hand like a boomerang and punch ppl, so why not have long range like great axe or somethin =P

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ok now I have a problem with the map. I want a lever (func_train) to come down from the ceiling (func_door) after you kill everyone in the room. An invisible button will come down with the lever so you can push it to make the lever move and make the door open. But how do I make the button move without setting it off and triggering the door? is there a simpler way?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably, sounds complicated. ;)

Ya can't attach a button to a func_train sfaik, but you can use a trigger_counter to require the button be activated X number of times before it fires it's final event - and thus you can use the button's move attribute to sync up with the train (assuming it isn't blockable.)

You can also use env_render to make a button invisible until needed, and a multisource to prevent the invisible button from being used.

These and others ents described here:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.p ... expand=all

Suspect you maybe better off reworking the whole idea though. Do ya really need the button? Can ya make the func_door or func_train +use and integrate the button into it? Yadda yadda.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yea. waaay too much work to do so I decided to do things differently