animation problem

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This monster’s walk and run anims aren't setup properly. He will not move (runs in place).

I dunno the details of this, but I'd suggest decompiling the orc.mdl and trying to figure it out based on it's run and walk.smd's and its QC - otherwise harrass Gaz. Meanwhile, I'll try to use the movement hack to make him move (we use it for the Dragon Fly, for instance, as it has no proper movement anim either) but it will likely not work very well.

He also seems a tad short, maybe wise to scale him up a bit.

Here's my compile of the model with the required MSC events:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/darkenemy_rc1.rar

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hey thothie is there any way to make him not move when he is doing his regular attack? cuz he looks kind of goofy when he moves without moving his legs. But it is lookin good.... and very deadly!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, it's called fixing the model's walk animation. :p

He only moves like that as he has no proper run/walk animation in his model, and he's using the movement hack to move about, tis what I've been trying to explain to you.

Here's his current script, case you have any changes you'd like to make:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev1/fallen_armor.script.txt

You can see towards the bottom of the code I made some attempts to override the movement during attack, but it doesn't work since the attack anims aren't of the critical types like the super-stab (if they were, there'd be other issues.)

BTW, if you do get around to fixing the model, please use my altered QC source from the alpha patch, as otherwise I'll have to reassign all the events again.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
oh haha i then didnt get what you were saying. ok ill look into it

EDIT: What is the "LX" part in the orc.mdl's QC for his walk and run animation?

$sequence walk "walk" LX loop fps 30 ACT_WALK 1
$sequence run "run" LX loop fps 30 ACT_RUN 1

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
LX means that any movement in the animation by the model is used in determining the speed of the walk.

The movement of the model, is taken from the root bone of the skeleton.
An NPC model for HL1 should move forward in their walk animation, and on the last key frame, the position of the skeleton (the pose) needs to be the same.

This is how the engine figures out how fast the walk/run animations are in relation to the ground.

If you decompile a model, import its smd to milkshape and its animations walk on the spot, (when its qc has LX in) then the animation has been decompiled incorrectly, and recompiling will screw up the model

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
so Gaz, how would we fix my model from moving when it is using its attack 1?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That's not the model's fault - that's the script hack that makes it move - the reason we have to use that script hack, that's the model's fault. ;)

See, without the script hack, he can't move - he just runs in place.

With the script hack, he can't stop during his normal attacks. (At least not easily)

Fix the run/walk animations, and I can stop using the script hack, as then the MODEL will make him move, instead of this artificial propulsion system I've tied to him.