That great axe...

Should Great Axe and Skullblade speeds be altered?

• Only make Skullblade faster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only make Greataxe slower

• Axe slower and sword faster

• Keep speeds the same (I <3 Bludgeons)

• Total voters

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Skullblades and Great Axes...

The most damaging and less accurate of the weapon types sword and axe (per swing ofcourse)

I have noticed that the great axe is much faster than the current skullblade speed....

In my opinion the Skullblade should be slightly slower than or at least the same speed as the greater iceblade... The speed of the once mighty Skullblade currently is a joke... Maybe with the increased speed lower the accuracy more towards the Great axe

Also the Great axe, as innacurate as it is.... still pumps out swing after swing at a "great" pace. Currently it is much faster than the skullblade. Maybe a slight speed nerf is in order... I dunno, vote.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Skullblades are the first title weapons, they aren't meant to be particularly powerful, and getting a perfect one is easy as pie. They are only 0.2 seconds slower than the Ice Blades and Great Axe. Tis true, should slow the Great Axe some though, tis just devastating even if hella inaccurate.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Keep the current speeds, because altering them would mean (according to MS: C philosophy) lowering them, thus nerfing them, and nerfing weapons is stupid.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Great Axe's inaccuracy makes it a weapon strictly for high end peeps, tis the point.

I have, personally, always found the SB to be slow to the point of annoyance though. I can maybe, increase it's speed to the Ice Blades level and reduce it's damage to compensate. These things are hard to balance though, as the damage isn't real easily predictable (pretty much can only balance weapons in relation to one another).

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah the speed is annoying... but damage nerf too!? ahhhh!!!

skullblade charge doesn't even have the greatness of the iceblade freezng... at least have it best the iceblades in the neutral damage zone =D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again, it's not supposed to be on par with the ice blades, it's much easier to get. It is indeed, the easist title weapon to acquire, while the ice blades are among the hardest (the greater ice blade, being the hardest.)

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
*cough* make it harder to get then... such a cool looking weapon and it has its roots so deep in ms... tis the badass sword of 1hit-1hit kill damage....

ok The Man In Black, get on me and my obsession of Skullblades

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
As opposed to MS 1.3, when the Scimitar you could buy anywhere was a better weapon, since it only did a fraction less damage and had twice the speed? ;)

If I made it harder to get, I'd need a new sword model to replace it, or we wouldn't have a sword in that teir anymore.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I, personally, would like to see the skull blade hit faster. The great axe is okay where it is, since it already takes up a ton of weight & lots of stamina per hit.

But the skull blade, jesus that thing is both weak AND slow!!!

EDIT:
If it could do special damage vs. living targets, like bandits or something, then I would like skull blade much more.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
It's too easy to get, that skull blade there. Lower the speed but make the special attack hit thrice. Or something.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Umm... LOWER the speed? LOWER the already near to nothing attack rate of the Skull Blade!?!? You're on crack; once you are off it, reply then. Sure the Skull Blade is easy to get, but if that is true then it should attack FASTER for the low amount of damage is does.

As I mentioned before, increase the damage some if it is left at current speed, perhaps even increase damage & speed... if the speed is decreased I want to see more damage than the great axe with its current accuracy :!:

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Well, move it somewhere else, lower the speed, make it do a somewhat monolithic amount of damage and make the special attack something... well, special.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Again, this is a low end sword... If I make it so powerful we need to move it, then I need a sword to replace it, as we'll have no sword in that tier.

I think what you guys are really asking for is a new, meaner, sword, that isn't as feminine as the Elven Blade series. ;)

If you want a "mega damage" sword. Maybe hit this guy up over IM until he finishes the job he started:
viewtopic.php?t=2249&start=0

Oh, and just cuz I'm a total dick, you can all MSN him at:
[email protected]

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
No no no, a new sword with high end power would be nice... but in relation to the SKULL BLADE... I think maybe it should be pumped up, and the chest that usually carries it could start to carry a longsword instead or something...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...So... What... I pump up the longsword to take the place of the skull blade that I pumped up? ...and then what do I replace the longsword with?

Think we're having difficulty with the concept of "weapon tier".

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
No, you leave the longsword be -_-
It could simply replace the spot where the skullblade is stored at on thornlands.

Look at how easy it is to get the skullblade, how LITTLE damage it does for how SLOW it hits; it is stupidly lame. It attacks SLOWER than great axe, probably weighs more (I don't really know about that), and does a pitifully low amount of damage. A common level five who runs through and can easily reach it on thornlands, probably can't even lift it up (without taking 80% of the weight capacity), and will get pissed at the weight & low damage combo, furthered by slow attack.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It is the lowest end title blade.

If I move it and make it more powerful, I need a new lowest end title blade.

It is, however, lighter than the great axe, as otherwise the characters for its intended level would not be able to pick it up.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Replace it with a Lesser Snake Staff. Or something.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Need a sword in that tier...

...Maybe I just should just make a 'greater skull blade' that takes advantage of the other animations, or ... somethin. I don't really feel like robbing the nubs of their first kewl sword.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Ahhh, I see... so it is more like a prize sword. One awarded for effort and that looks okay and sounds awesome...

Well then, us veterans who see how useless it is shall veer FAR from it; whilst noobs in training (so noobish that they aren't even noobs yet) shall get it and learn on their own :oldlol:

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wow... i picked up a perfect skull today...

um, i have 6 swordmanship and i can't even drop a boar in 1 hit nemore....
yeah "your swordmanship is too low"k

but if the skullblade is rolling xx/38 the ones that do land should be bombs...

I understand where you are coming from thothie calling the skullblade a prize sword and how it has it's place in the weapon tier...

but a PERFECT skullblade!?
I hope i'm not just blowing smoke and stroking my precious skullblade tenderly here but i believe there already is a somewhat tier system in place...
dull, normal, sharp, and perfect...

just as the elven blades deal the same damage but with different grades become faster and more accurate, have the skullblades go in the opposite direction as far as swords go...

with higher grades skullblade DAMAGE increases...
(and if you haven't changed the spiderthornlands chest lately, all i belive you can find in there is a norm/dull skull or an elven/sylvian)

Oh, and ofcourse i have nother suggestion for my favy blade of doom
for the charge up attack, use the two handed swing animation from iceblades and have a slower(old skullblade speed) yet more accurate (two hands ftw) and 'course stronger (2h ftw again) attack

I also swung my greataxe today... at first i landed a 100... and went "OMG! WAH! *CRYZORZ!* but then i landed my good ol 230 again and with the faster swinging it isn't so bad :D

blah i gotsta say one more thingy bc..... yeah i just have to
i do recall in 1.3 the skullblade and elven short sword were almost two sides of the same coin efficiency wise. for example 1 swing from the skullblade, if landed, would deal 60, whilst 1 swing from the elven would deal 20. but the elven would swing 3 times as fast at the skullblade making up for it's lower damage.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ESS used to be a freakin chain saw in MS 1.3 compared to the SB, same continues today.

The Great Axe and the SB are the exact same speed in the JAN2007x patches.

SB has a better chance to hit. Great Axe does a LOT more damage.

Only thing you need to be able to beat to get a Perfect SB is a 300hp Timidus Textor (at best) and a fancy waterfall jump. While for the Great Axe, you gotta kill a 4000hp boss surrounded by about fifty 300hp minions. (Plus over 100 other monsters and fancy jumps in the two maps prior)

Don't compare the two without that in mind.

So no, it's not something you should be able to 1hit kill a boar with at level 6. In MS 1.3, it woulda took about 12 strikes to kill a boar with the SB at Level 6 (granted, it only came in one variety).

Can't upgrade and move weapons everytime your character outgrows them. Best I can do is give you new weapons.